The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report - LeBrun] Canucks will try to re-sign Andrei Kuzmenko as trade interest grows

Ted Lasso

6 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Its a tough balancing act to make the right decisions and also keeping your star core guys happy with trades you make..

The core guys have always been for me 1. Petey  24  - 2. Hughes 23.  3. Demko 27. 4. Horvat....

I was wrong management signed Miller 29  - W/ C because of a 99 point season -- Miller is really a 68--75 going guy

better winger then a centre..

Horvát a solid #2 centre. -- 28-- 34 G -- 64-70 point guy  -- great on face-offs .. This year he is heading for 56 G

1. Petey has to be signed 7 years X 9.3 AAV-- Have to have a good winger for Petey and keep him happy #1 centres are hard to find.

2. Kuzmenko - Great 1st year way better then I expected GP 75 -- 18-20 G -- 39--45 points.. I was way off

Signing him over 6 million X 5 years is risky looking a his previous years in KHL..Playing with Petey helps but Kuzmenko looks good.

3 yrs X 5.8 AAV - Try and sign close to 6 million if you can't we have to trade...1st rounder - top prospect -  younger bottom 6 player with upside.

3. Horvát or Miller - One has to be traded -- I would try to trade Miller -- then sign Horvat 7 yrs X 8 million

4. Myers - after 5 million dollar bonus is paid out July 1st - will only have 1 million owing X 1 year-- easy to move big RD man then.

5. Boeser  or Garland - One of these guys must be move - Move Boeser retain 1 million X 2 yrs will help move him with 6.8 million dollar contract.

Petey's almost certainly between 10-11M if he keeps this up imo 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Don’t worry about Kuz being signed.  No chance our owner lets him get away.

I’m not sure how you think we are going to sign Horvat AND Kuzmenko. 

If I’m Kuzmenko ,  and I’m asked to sign a contract by Vancouver to play in Vancouver , given he is eligible to go UFA.

Im looking for an NTC for at least 2 years.

Or I’m going UFA.    Why would he sign anything if he can’t sign where he wants to play?

I also think 6m per is too high given one year to show..   I think a better deal comes to the Canucks to keep Kuzmenko, but it will come with an NTC/ NMC if they want to sign him.

they aren’t going to get much for him in a trade at this point regardless..  and trading Kuz is not going to give dollars to Bo.

Boeser and Myers have to go and we may retain up to 50% each to make it happen.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Unfortunately, this means that something's gotta go. One of: Garland, Boeser, and/or Pearson will have to be traded.

Unfortunately?

They have to let go of all 3 to make numbers work, and have a bit of cap space...

If they don't they'll be forced to let Kuz go. 

• Upvote 2

Looking at buyouts for this summer

The guy who makes the most sense is Pearson 

not garland, myers, OEL or boeser 

even though I’m so disgusted for more buyouts and kicking the can down the road mentality I’m just saying if anyone is gonna get bought out it’s Pearson  

1.4m for next year (1.85m in savings on the cap) 

915k in the 2nd year 

39 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

If I’m Kuzmenko ,  and I’m asked to sign a contract by Vancouver to play in Vancouver , given he is eligible to go UFA.

Im looking for an NTC for at least 2 years.

Or I’m going UFA.    Why would he sign anything if he can’t sign where he wants to play?

I also think 6m per is too high given one year to show..   I think a better deal comes to the Canucks to keep Kuzmenko, but it will come with an NTC/ NMC if they want to sign him.

they aren’t going to get much for him in a trade at this point regardless..  and trading Kuz is not going to give dollars to Bo.

Boeser and Myers have to go and we may retain up to 50% each to make it happen.

Trading him won't give more $ to Bo, but keeping him would mean less...

Something has to give...

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

His play could eeeasily dip next year and then we're stuck with yet another overpaid player. 5M x 2 or 3 would be my number but watch him get 6.2M x 3

6 x 3 is probably too much and I would caution against it.

Some things to consider 

First, this is his contract and rookie year. So there's no guarantee he will sustain this level of play once he signs a bigger contract.

Second, the offensive numbers could be inflated. Remember he's playing for the Canucks where a structured defensive team game is basically thrown out the window in favor of scoring and possibly stat padding. How would his offensive numbers and effectiveness as a player be once that is changed?

Third, is time. Kuzmenzo is 26 as it stands it will probably take 3 to 4 years minimum for this team to turn around. Would he still be a top 6 player when that point reaches? And if the rumors of a 3 year contract is true, what would extending him look like after 3 to 4 years? 

Finally, we have to consider why he wanted to sign with the Canucks first. People still praise Allvin for luring him but I am under the impression, unless there's an offer he couldn't refuse, Kuzmenzo saw Vancouver as an opportunity to showcase his ability then get a long term contract from another team. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

I’m more than ok with that. 

if they get any team to bite on any of those three guys (Garland, Brock, Pearson). All three seem like they have negative value, or at the very least minimal value. What's Brock on pace for? Is he even on pace for 20 goals? 

3 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Kuzmenzo saw Vancouver as an opportunity to showcase his ability then get a long term contract from another team. 

he's smart. if Allvin is smarter, he'd trade him. Kuzmenko's value right now is as high as it'll get (at least based off of what we're seeing him, and how he's performing). If he really loves it here, he can circle back and sign here when he's a UFA. For the time being, though, if we can get a 1st for him in this year's draft, and a good prospect from another team's developmental system, that's a huge win in my books. I'd like to keep everyone worth keeping, I don't think the math works out for us. Someone's got to go, and this team's not very good - hell, it's just plain bad - can't play defense, goaltending is bad (though to be fair, we've been riding our backups for most of the year, sooooo), and the forwards can't seem to play defense, or understand the concept of it. This team, fragile like glass from ownership all the way down. Nobody in the organization has any sort of confidence, not even the fans. 

This is as bad as the Messier era, and that era was really dark. What does that tell us? 

I hate Francesco. 

It's all well and good saying this but we are gonna be so deep in cap hell this off-season.

2.4M comes off the books (dead cap)

Bear needs to be resigned, likely 3-4M bridge (say 2M raise)

Dermott and Schenn's contracts expire, if we were to re-sign them surely their caps would be similar (no raise)

Miller's 3M raise kicks in

Kuzmenko gets a likely 5M raise

Bo gets a 3M raise

That puts us at 11M over the cap and we're basically no better than we are now, that's just to keep the dead beat under-.500 team together.

Somethings going to have to give. I worry management will use buyouts too liberally and handcuff us with more dead cap. Moving big contracts out like Boeser or Myers will be tough, OEL and Pearson almost impossible.

My biggest concern is we'll focus on re-signing Bo and Kuzmenko and forget about the defence again, let Schenn and Dermott walk and fill those spots with AHLers/Rathbone/Burroughs like we're not already thin enough on defence.

A simple solution would be to trade Bo or Miller + Boeser and pray someone will give us some bad cap for Myers. 

1 hour ago, billabong said:

even though I’m so disgusted for more buyouts and kicking the can down the road mentality I’m just saying if anyone is gonna get bought out it’s Pearson  

915k in the 2nd year 

Didn’t they do a couple free compliance buyouts one offseason. Like every team basically got a couple free buyouts. 

Wish they would do that again…

Edited by DeNiro

45 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

It's all well and good saying this but we are gonna be so deep in cap hell this off-season.

2.4M comes off the books (dead cap)

Bear needs to be resigned, likely 3-4M bridge (say 2M raise)

Dermott and Schenn's contracts expire, if we were to re-sign them surely their caps would be similar (no raise)

Miller's 3M raise kicks in

Kuzmenko gets a likely 5M raise

Bo gets a 3M raise

That puts us at 11M over the cap and we're basically no better than we are now, that's just to keep the dead beat under-.500 team together.

Somethings going to have to give. I worry management will use buyouts too liberally and handcuff us with more dead cap. Moving big contracts out like Boeser or Myers will be tough, OEL and Pearson almost impossible.

My biggest concern is we'll focus on re-signing Bo and Kuzmenko and forget about the defence again, let Schenn and Dermott walk and fill those spots with AHLers/Rathbone/Burroughs like we're not already thin enough on defence.

A simple solution would be to trade Bo or Miller + Boeser and pray someone will give us some bad cap for Myers. 

I think Bo's going to either walk in free agency, or he'll be traded. From what we hear or not hear, it just doesn't feel like he's going to remain in Canuck colours. I could be wrong, but that's my gut telling me he's probably not sticking around. If he wants to win, it ain't going to be here. 

Defense needs to be the priority this off-season. Either that, or a new coaching staff that can drastically change systems play, and get these same guys to buy into that system so we're not leaking goals either on 5v5 play, or on the penalty kill. It boggles my mind that this team has been so piss poor on the PK. These guys are professionals, yes? 

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

he's smart. if Allvin is smarter, he'd trade him. Kuzmenko's value right now is as high as it'll get (at least based off of what we're seeing him, and how he's performing). If he really loves it here, he can circle back and sign here when he's a UFA. For the time being, though, if we can get a 1st for him in this year's draft, and a good prospect from another team's developmental system, that's a huge win in my books. I'd like to keep everyone worth keeping, I don't think the math works out for us. Someone's got to go, and this team's not very good - hell, it's just plain bad - can't play defense, goaltending is bad (though to be fair, we've been riding our backups for most of the year, sooooo), and the forwards can't seem to play defense, or understand the concept of it. This team, fragile like glass from ownership all the way down. Nobody in the organization has any sort of confidence, not even the fans. 

This is as bad as the Messier era, and that era was really dark. What does that tell us? 

I hate Francesco. 

I am a bit worried with his trade value I could either seeing it going they way you see it (i.e. a 1st) or Toffoli (a 2nd and a B-level prospect), or "gasp" Vanek (Motte) 

I can see all 3 scenarios play out. The latter is also possible because the knock on Vanek was that he was not a proven Playoff performer. 

3 hours ago, billabong said:

915k in the 2nd year 

I’m pretty sure we could trade Pearson with $1.4 million in retention so we don’t need to buy him out. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I’m pretty sure we could trade Pearson with $1.4 million in retention so we don’t need to buy him out. 

isn't there a limit on how many contracts a team can retain salary at a given time?

Seeing as there's suggestion to retain salary for Miller, Pearson, Myers, OEL, Stillman, Boeser already :emot-parrot: