The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report - LeBrun] Canucks will try to re-sign Andrei Kuzmenko as trade interest grows

Ted Lasso

9 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

isn't there a limit on how many contracts a team can retain salary at a given time?

Seeing as there's suggestion to retain salary for Miller, Pearson, Myers, OEL, Stillman, Boeser already :emot-parrot:

Yes you can retain on up to 3 contracts at any one time. Pearson and Myers would be 2 of those we should definitely look at. Boeser may be another. Stillman can simply be waived and sent to Abby. We aren’t retaining anything on Miller and OEL. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson

Now I dont know what to make out of this... it is kind of funny.. 

Miller: Try to sign; if can't, trade. 

Horvat: Try to sign; if can't, trade. 

Kuzmenko: Try to sign; if cant, trade. 

Not sure I am liking this management's direction, which is basically directionless. Goes step by step, leaves everything by chance. Takes what is given to them instead of being the decider. 

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Didn’t they do a couple free compliance buyouts one offseason. Like every team basically got a couple free buyouts. 

Wish they would do that again…

Was part of the CBA negotiations back in 2012/13.  

When they negotiated the CBA MOU in 2020, owners were strongly against introducing any compliance buyouts because they didn't want the extra costs.  

27 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

Not sure I am liking this management's direction, which is basically directionless. Goes step by step, leaves everything by chance. Takes what is given to them instead of being the decider. 

Not management’s direction; it’s our owner’s.  

lol ppl complaining this is too high that is too high he's not worth he only had 1 year to show etc blah blah blah.. he needs to look no further than his fellow countryman Kaprizov. 1 year 51 point 55 games turned into a 9mil x 5 years.. not saying he's worth 9mil.. but the precedence have been set for players in and around his age group.. he's literally producing at the same rate as kaprizov in his first year.. and kaprizov end up getting paid every penny.. so the he haven't even shown he can do this for multiple years won't fly.. he's done it for couple years in the KHL albeit lesser league.. but he didn't miss a beat so far in the NHL. if he signs a 1 or 2 years? it'll easily be north of 6mil.. panarin after 2 season went straight to a 6mil and then ufa. 6mil then is like 7-8mil now. if the canucks think they can get him on a short value contract good luck. he'd already given that this year except the team is a total mess and didn't take advantage of it. love to keep kuz but i don't think they have time to deal with JR and his lowball tactics so they end up trading him. looking into the lineup next season if we lose bo kuz maybe boeser and or garland? that's almost 45% of our total goals this year.. where is the offence going to come from.. podkolzin and hoglander combined for 3 goals.. and 2 more players ain't going to replace the other chunk which would rank us near last in offence with chicago.. fun time ahead.

3 hours ago, Drakrami said:

So you're saying there is a direction ...:P

I've been trying to pinpoint what it is but I think you summed it up. The direction of the current Canucks management is to always go to plan B or C.

14 minutes ago, GB5 said:

So you're saying there is a direction ...:P

I've been trying to pinpoint what it is but I think you summed it up. The direction of the current Canucks management is to always go to plan B or C.

Management’s direction is as it’s always been since our owner bought the club: his. If our owner wants to keep Kuz Missile then management will re-sign the guy.  Just like with Miller and soon to be with Bo.  

Edited by Alflives

6 hours ago, iinatcc said:

6 x 3 is probably too much and I would caution against it.

Some things to consider 

First, this is his contract and rookie year. So there's no guarantee he will sustain this level of play once he signs a bigger contract.

Second, the offensive numbers could be inflated. Remember he's playing for the Canucks where a structured defensive team game is basically thrown out the window in favor of scoring and possibly stat padding. How would his offensive numbers and effectiveness as a player be once that is changed?

Third, is time. Kuzmenzo is 26 as it stands it will probably take 3 to 4 years minimum for this team to turn around. Would he still be a top 6 player when that point reaches? And if the rumors of a 3 year contract is true, what would extending him look like after 3 to 4 years

Finally, we have to consider why he wanted to sign with the Canucks first. People still praise Allvin for luring him but I am under the impression, unless there's an offer he couldn't refuse, Kuzmenzo saw Vancouver as an opportunity to showcase his ability then get a long term contract from another team. 

Well if we are starting to worry about whether 26 year old goal scorers can sustain their production for another 3-4, we won't ever be able to sign anyone.

Any player comes with a risk, but a 26 year old player, who is on pace for 30 goals in his first season on North American ice, I would think was a good bet to continue producing.

Absolutely right that he saw us as an opportunity to show cases himself, and good for him. He is in our hand just now, so we get to decide whether to trade of keep. Doesn't get much better than that. Either one is a win... except if the keep him to offseason and he walks... Then PA should be fired on the spot. Same with regards to Bo.

• Cheers 1