The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Thursday January 12 2022 - Vancouver Canucks @ Tampa Bay Lightning - 4pm PT/7pm ET - Amalie Arena

Rate this topic

OldFaithfulCap

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It's like shuffling the chairs on the Titanic.  At the end of the movie the ship sinks regardless and whoever is on board is sh*t out of luck...

And the ship captain is going down with it.  Feel bad for Bruce. Likely ends his NHL coaching career with such a whimper.  

• Huggy Bear 1

3 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah I'm amazed at how other teams are able to construct defenses and we're so out to lunch. Look at this kid I've watched lately on their third pairing Perbix who has fit in nicely. I wonder where he came from? Oh yeah he was drafted ... what a fricking surprise lol.

They also drafted Cernak. This is the one golden lining for this team and one of the most frustrating things about the last couple years. A defence can be fixed very quickly. Being there are only six skaters and 3 on each side one player can dramatically improve the whole. Especially if you get a guy that plays well 25 minutes a night. Then you can look for more affordable support pieces. Our right side has good support players but nothing to support. That's why the OEL trade was doubly bad to begin with. We needed a RD to play a main role moving forward, not a $7 million dollar support piece on the left side. :frantic::sadno:

I've been waiting for a RD since before Tanev. It's been 9 years now. That's why this team has slowly but surely gotten me to tune out a little more each year. The ignorance is mind numbing. Who knows maybe if we actually traded Tanev, or Marky, or Pearson, when he was in demand for picks ... those guys would be in the line-up today. But no we're fine with Dermotts and Burroughs and Bears and Poolmans and Giraffes.

They actually got Cernak in a trade with LA for Ben Bishop and a 5th round pick.  Wish the Canucks could be so lucky...

• Vintage 1

32 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

At this point you'd have to think they should be open to benching some of the bigger names that aren't paying well enough....Myers, OEL etc. It's been long enough now where we know it's not an anomaly.  Send this team a message by bringing up some AHL'ers and if the result is better or even similar they've all got some self reflection to do. Bring up Wolanin (39 P in 33 GP +12). Shake it up, simply doing nothing and continuing to ice the same underperforming roster is driving me crazy, at least give some guys a shot that want to work hard and prove themselves. I just don't get how this coaching staff and management thus far doesn't seem to be willing to try anything new or shake it up. This team is incredibly stale right now, they have no confidence.

On a positive note, I like the way Dermott plays....essentially flipping Hamonic and using the pick for Dermott IMO was a good call. 

Here here ... great post. If performances like this don't deserve benching and guys playing their hearts out in the AHL don't deserve a shot what are we even doing here?

No accountability whatsoever Canucks. This club is like a baby-sitter that gets no respect and pissy kids doing whatever they want with no repercussions. How Wolanin hasn't got a shot is all kinds of Canucks wrong. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

And people thought we acquired Stillman to try and get better.  We actually acquired him to get worse.  JR with a 5D chess move for the stealth tank...

People think JR messed up. Reality is, he's going to call a press conference after draft day (when we get Bedard) and make a statement:

"You dorks really thought im that stupid? I told you our D was the problem, and I spent all the money on wingers. I brought in RILEY STILLMAN to solve our defensive problems. How much clearer could I get that we were tanking for Bedard, you ducking idiots! Also Drance - I had more hair than you at your age, grow some hair!"

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

What if our defence drastically improves with OEL out of the lineup?  What if he can't get back in?  What if we have a $7 million player sitting in the press box for the rest of the season?  What will JR do?  Will he talk with more Pittsburgh reporters?  Will he go on a sabbatical?  Will he just walk away and retire? 

Stay tuned, the drama is just getting started on the next series of the Young and the Canuckless...

Absolute worst case they send him to Abby. At least that saves $1 million on the cap. 

Seems like different lines every game. That must mess with chemistry a bit, not that there is a whole lot of it to begin with.

Whatever they do tonight they need to always have someone on Stamkos in the slot or it could get pretty ugly.