The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Proposal- Van - Pitt

JAVA-1

22 minutes ago, JAVA-1 said:

Garland to the Penguins for Ty Smith and Kapanen. We gain about a mil in cap space and D-man in Smith (starts as 3rd pairing and could work up in future). Thoughts?? This would be my first trade as the GM and more to follow.

I think you need to add to get both Smith and Kapanen in this deal. Smith is a former first round pick and has some pretty solid upside potential. Not to diminish Garland's value, but a D who can play either side is more valuable to teams right now than a middle 6 forward. If we got Smith straight up for Garland, I'd be pretty happy.

8 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think you need to add to get both Smith and Kapanen in this deal. Smith is a former first round pick and has some pretty solid upside potential. Not to diminish Garland's value, but a D who can play either side is more valuable to teams right now than a middle 6 forward. If we got Smith straight up for Garland, I'd be pretty happy.

I would give them Dermott in the deal as well.  For their playoff run...

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I would give them Dermott in the deal as well.  For their playoff run...

My biggest question is, what does Garland get them that Kapanen doesn't already provide?

Both are currently producing at a .5 points per game rate, with Kapanen doing it for more than 1.5 million less.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

My biggest question is, what does Garland get them that Kapanen doesn't already provide?

Both are currently producing at a .5 points per game rate, with Kapanen doing it for more than 1.5 million less.

Garland has some term left.  Kapanen will be gone after next year so at least they get an asset back with term...

2 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

If Garland plays top 6, which he should, then I think he will produce at a better rate.

28 minutes ago, JAVA-1 said:

If Garland plays top 6, which he should, then I think he will produce at a better rate.

I think he would as well, but I don't think there's anyone in the current lineup that he would displace on a regular basis.

I actually like his game, but I think he will continue to struggle to get placement into top 6 as long as Kuzmenko is here as well. He's kind of been displaced from that role and we would probably be doing him a favor moving him to another team who needs another top 6 guy. His contract is actually pretty reasonable, based on what he proved he could produce at last year.

• Cheers 1

If I'm Vancouver I'd ask for Jan Rutta - 3 years left, $2.75 mil per, Stanley Cup pedigree; when Petry and Letang come back there's little to no chance that he's not back on the 3rd pairing (his minutes shot up to 22 mins last game, before their injury he was around 16) and something to balance the cap.  If they want to add scoring punch in Garland, I'd rather get something more than a fast skater who's inconsistent in Kapanen (Smith looks promising).