The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Sabres Goalie Prospect to hit Free Agency

HKSR

https://www.habsfanatics.com/Big-turnaround-a-promising-goalie-suddenly-becomes-available-and-the-Montreal-Canadiens-are-linked-to-young-Erik-Portillo-197271

"According to what was just reported by the reputable Jeff Marek of Sportsnet, the Buffalo Sabres are reportedly unable to sign their promising young goaltender Erik Portillo."

Wonder if he'd consider signing here.  Would bring some solid competition for Martin and Delia.

I suspect that if this report is true, the Sabres are going to trade Portillo's rights by the deadline. There will be teams calling and I wouldn't be shocked if the Canucks are one of those teams. Portillo's an intriguing NCAA prospect but I can see why he Portillo doesn't see a future in Buffalo, as they have Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen about to take a big step with them and they have Devon Levi who is clearly the top goalie prospect in the Sabres organization.

It will be interesting to see if Portillo, once his rights are traded, decides to sign with the team that traded for his rights or if they pulls a Vesey and signs with a different team after the fact in the summer.

53 minutes ago, HKSR said:

https://www.habsfanatics.com/Big-turnaround-a-promising-goalie-suddenly-becomes-available-and-the-Montreal-Canadiens-are-linked-to-young-Erik-Portillo-197271

"According to what was just reported by the reputable Jeff Marek of Sportsnet, the Buffalo Sabres are reportedly unable to sign their promising young goaltender Erik Portillo."

Wonder if he'd consider signing here.  Would bring some solid competition for Martin and Delia.

So, other than the idea that we have probably the best goalie coach in the world, we would be offering him the opportunity to face THE HIGHEST quality offensive chances in the league, because we have no defensive structure and we pump out high end offensive opportunities to our opponents faster than they were coming from a Pez Dispenser....

Yeah, sounds intriguing... 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

It looks like he's a junior, so Buffalo still has a year to trade his rights. For the Canucks, I guess it comes down to how much confidence do they have in Silovs? They're from the same draft class.

I think it would make sense to hedge our bets and have Silovs and Portillo in the system and have the top candidate emerge.  A prospect swap may be in order unless there is a vet that they would be interested in.  Maybe something like Stillman or Focht  for Portillo, unless he is very highly regarded.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

I think it would make sense to hedge our bets and have Silovs and Portillo in the system and have the top candidate emerge.  A prospect swap may be in order unless there is a vet that they would be interested in.  Maybe something like Stillman or Focht  for Portillo, unless he is very highly regarded.

Or both Stillman and Focht? 

• Upvote 1

6'6, 230. But has looked pretty middling in Michigan this season. I'd obviously be in on him. Demko has health issues. And Martin and Delia are AHL goalies. Getting him doesn't help us in the slightest, unless he breaks out in a massive way and becomes Carey Price or something. But never say no to free prospects.

2 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

You got me at the bolded; I don't know this prospect and he's not an RHD, but where do I sign up?

• Haha 1

I mean seems like an easy decision. Martin has played admirably but we can do better there.

Id like to see us sign a vet to back up Demko, but get him a season or two in the AHL and he could battle it out with Silovs.

If Clark sees something I’m sure they’ll kick the tires.

15 hours ago, DeNiro said:

I mean seems like an easy decision. Martin has played admirably but we can do better there.

Id like to see us sign a vet to back up Demko, but get him a season or two in the AHL and he could battle it out with Silovs.

If Clark sees something I’m sure they’ll kick the tires.

We are paying Holtby and Halak 3.4 million this year - they combined for 11 wins over two seasons. I'd much prefer having the Martins and Delias battling each other for backup roles than paying for a vet again. 

• There it is 1