The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edit- Rick Tocchet Expected To Be Next Head Coach

Rate this topic

BertaNuck

There is absolutely no upside to firing and then hiring a new coach now.  Especially one like Tocchet who you are intent on keeping here for a number of years.

When he arrives there will be an inevitable new coach bump, with every player wanting to make sure they get noticed by him. And we will get to within breathing distance of a playoff berth, but far away from Bedard.  Worst possible position.

Or

We only get a slight bump, and continue on our bumbling ways. That would look terrible again on management, and be quite depressing going into next season knowing that we just hired another coach that might be wrong for the job, but know we have to live with for as long as he was signed for as I don't think Aquaman has any more appetite to pay more ex-coaches to sit at home.

But knowing the Canucks, this is probably what they will do.

12 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Leave Colliton in Abbotsford.

Our prospects development is much more important than him coaching a lost season.

I agree,or so we've been told by media. But I suspect this will be about money rather than an improvement at the Vcr level. FA doesn't want to pay out more IMO

Just let Bruce play out the remainder of his contract FFS. Enough already. Unless they've got Trotz in the wings saying he wants to be in Vancouver asap, then let Bruce play it out.

And since Trotz has been committed to taking a break, I doubt he's rushing in a hurry to get back before next season anyway. 

Also, I just can't see Tocchett as a fit here in this city. Seriously, if this fanbase can't handle guys like Torts and Miller, I highly doubt Tocchet could last here. Plus ... It was widely known he and OEL weren't on good terms at all. Hey, I may be wrong but Tocchet coming here doesn't add up to me. 

• Huggy Bear 1

Pointless this season and a slap to a decent person (BB).  

And what coach out there would want to pick up this mess without some idea of what the team will look like next year?......and will it include a bunch of players that were told we're trying to trade but just couldn't (i.e. a toxic environment not that it isn't already).

1 hour ago, ShawnAntoski said:

I dare the FO, to hire him and EP is pretty much guaranteed to leave.  

How about Francesco since coaching, is the only position he hasn't done yet ?  Been an owner, PoHO and GM already.

Actually, that's a good idea.....a little tired of him being the shadow guy in the background.

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Oh I agree.  The summer would be the best time to hire the new coach.  Hopefully Barry Trotz agrees to come here.  We can give him an AGM role as well...

I find this Trotz talk really interesting

not because I think its a good idea

but

Hire Rutherford almost out of retirement

Hire Bruce almost out of retirement

Trotz has made retirement/ my family is more important right now, type statements

and yet fans want him to come and work miracles 

Trotz is younger, but he is sounding disinterested

it seems like another too short exercise

we have gone from thinking that Green would "Grow with the team" (Which  I was never on board with)

to hiring the oldest guys still in the league

• BertaNuck changed the title to Coaching Change Is Near, Who Will Be The Next Head Coach?
2 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

If Trotz is interested I’d absolutely take him. 8 years younger than Bruce - he should have some tread on the tires and has the pedigree that should hold the room. 

Or has enough time passed on Quenneville or Babcock? :ph34r:

With Tallon in the organization I could see them looking into Quenneville.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

If Trotz is interested I’d absolutely take him. 8 years younger than Bruce - he should have some tread on the tires and has the pedigree that should hold the room. 

Or has enough time passed on Quenneville or Babcock? :ph34r:

Q should never coach in this league again

If the Canucks brought him in that'd be enough for me to consider looking for another team, and that's saying a lot after the past ten years of waiting on the Canucks to figure their crap out 

• Like 1

Just now, Coconuts said:

If the Canucks brought him in that'd be enough for me to consider looking for another team, and that's saying a lot after the past ten years of waiting on the Canucks to figure their crap out 

Fans look the other way when a team starts winning. I’ve seen it time and time again.

Just now, DeNiro said:

Fans look the other way when a team starts winning. I’ve seen it time and time again.

Some fans, sure 

But there are also plenty of Hawks fans who went on to choose new teams after all that news broke 

CDC ain't the only hockey bit I frequent 

Q chose hockey over being anything resembling a decent human, chose a playoff run over Kyle Beach 

• Vintage 1

Just now, Coconuts said:

I think a lot of people think the way you do - and they would be determined to turn it into a circus.  Maybe rightfully so.

FWIW I don’t think they go there. 

However, as Deniro said, if he says the right stuff when hired and the team starts to win most people would get on board.  I think he’d be a perfect fit as a coach and maybe Colliton is ready to take over in 2 years or so.