The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will need compromise on both sides... but Bo Horvat should stay

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

7 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Bo Horvat has been the face of this team since the Sedins left.

He has been a consistent producer for the team who has shown year to year improvements.

He is the team's best multi-tasker... he can be a dominant faceoff man, score goals, be physical and be a checking forward.

He deserves respect... he has not complained or made a public issue although he has probably been under-paid for most of his stay in Vancouver.

He has been a competent and honourable Captain of the team... not the best by any standard... but he has shouldered the responsibility and put the effort in.

---

At the same time, it has to be said.... he is not Star player... he does not drive the team's offense, he is a triggerman... not a playmaker.

He also sometimes has problems in the shut down role... especially when he is facing high level opposition.

And while his scoring performance this season deserves every acknowledgement... the goal totals he is putting up to this point are inconsistent with what he has shown in previous years... can we expect him to continue to score at this rate for the rest of this year or even the rest of his best years or is this 1/2 season an outlier statistically?

---

Whatever the situation at the end of the season, a way should be found for Bo Horvat to stay in Vancouver.

I believe the fans want him to stay, and I believe Bo wants to stay.  I think he likes Vancouver, the fans like him, and they want to see him hoist the Cup as Captain.

Sure he would find a home on another team if he went up on the block... but would he be that team's Captain?  Never know, but unlikely.  And would he be as happy?  I wonder.

And what would Vancouver get in return?  I am not sure we would see the best of any deal... I suspect Bo would be the best player in any deal, and as anyone who watches the NHL knows, 'Best Player Wins the Deal'... is more often right than not.

---

What I am saying in this post is that Management, Bo, and his Agent need to find a way to keep him in Vancouver.

If Management has been watching these boards, (see my  recent poll) they can see there are many other Canuck players who the fans would prefer to let go instead of Bo.

So...          BOTH SIDES...  GET IT DONE.

I disagree that Bo wants to stay. And yes, most fans want him to stay but a quite a number of those fans that want him to stay, concedes that it's time to trade him for various reasons like rebuild, cap crunch, and etc.

As every human being would, I think he must have been hesitant between staying loyal to the team that drafted him and gave him the captaincy vs leaving for a chance to win.

I think two events transpired that made him decide on hitting the market.

The first event is the reported rumour of a lowball offer from the management. That got him thinking twice about staying for loyalty. He owes nothing to the new management, it was the previous management that developed and placed trust in him.

Then, what's left was to assess if he can win here. Well, this season has shown that's not going to happen soon.

We are just waiting for a trade opportunity to open up. I think Bo is as good as gone.

And at this point, that would be the prudent decision. He is now out of our price range and if there is any cap, I'd re-sign Kuz with that cap. If we can get a near NHL ready centerman in Bo's trade, that player would slot in the line up next season and we can also try to find a defensive center through free agency.

10 minutes ago, jyu said:

I disagree that Bo wants to stay. And yes, most fans want him to stay but a quite a number of those fans that want him to stay, concedes that it's time to trade him for various reasons like rebuild, cap crunch, and etc.

As every human being would, I think he must have been hesitant between staying loyal to the team that drafted him and gave him the captaincy vs leaving for a chance to win.

I think two events transpired that made him decide on hitting the market.

The first event is the reported rumour of a lowball offer from the management. That got him thinking twice about staying for loyalty. He owes nothing to the new management, it was the previous management that developed and placed trust in him.

Then, what's left was to assess if he can win here. Well, this season has shown that's not going to happen soon.

We are just waiting for a trade opportunity to open up. I think Bo is as good as gone.

And at this point, that would be the prudent decision. He is now out of our price range and if there is any cap, I'd re-sign Kuz with that cap. If we can get a near NHL ready centerman in Bo's trade, that player would slot in the line up next season and we can also try to find a defensive center through free agency.

If our owner wants Bo to stay (which I believe he does) then Bo will get extended. 

Bo has produced a lot of goals this season and his hands should lead him to be a decent goal scorer for a good few years. If we were a rebuilding team with few big contracts, a bunch of great upcoming forwards and defensemen then you pay him to keep scoring and live with him not being the guy who also makes the big hit or shuts down his opponent.

However that is not this team. We have some big contracted players who are under-performing, we lack in every defensive area and we need assets to rebuild which a prime Horvat gives you. I'd love it if this could be another Nieuwendyk for Iginla scenario where Bo gets to go to a contender and we get either a high draft pick this year in return or a top prospect - a win for both sides though there's few good teams with high picks around. So i'd be fine with sending him to Columbus who needs a guy like him and we'd get a high pick.

Edited by OldFaithfulCap
c
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I'd lose a lot of respect for Bo if he stayed with this sinking ship. It would mean money triumphs all and he doesn't care if he ever wins a cup or not. Same reason I had a lot more respect for guys like Ryan Kesler than Alex Edler. 

Worry about the logo. Not the namebar on the back. 

1 hour ago, OldFaithfulCap said:

Bo has produced a lot of goals this season and his hands should lead him to be a decent goal scorer for a good few years. If we were a rebuilding team with few big contracts, a bunch of great upcoming forwards and defensemen then you pay him to keep scoring and live with him not being the guy who also makes the big hit or shuts down his opponent.

However that is not this team. We have some big contracted players who are under-performing, we lack in every defensive area and we need assets to rebuild which a prime Horvat gives you. I'd love it if this could be another Nieuwendyk for Iginla scenario where Bo gets to go to a contender and we get either a high draft pick this year in return or a top prospect - a win for both sides though there's few good teams with high picks around. So i'd be fine with sending him to Columbus who needs a guy like him and we'd get a high pick.

Joe for Jarome would be the best case scenario for every party involved. 

Whichever team Bo goes to wins a cup, we get a great player for the next 15 years. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

If our owner wants Bo to stay (which I believe he does) then Bo will get extended. 

I get the sense that Francesco has surrendered. He knows that this team has too many flaws by now and rebuild is inevitable. At least I hope JR has convinced Francesco of that. 

9 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol you expect losing 35% of your total team goals replaced by 3 goals between podz and hogs and this team is a playoff team in 23/24? ship everyone out and start a proper rebuild ffs

Number one priority is a grade A defender. Not a forward. Maybe those that played well in the past can pick it up the following season with more ice time, better coaching as well; Brock and Garland for example. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

Number one priority is a grade A defender. Not a forward. Maybe those that played well in the past can pick it up the following season with more ice time, better coaching as well; Brock and Garland for example. 

number one priority is to rebuild. bring in 1 grade A defender great instead of letting in 4-5 goals every game you let in 3. only problem is can this team even score 4. to win a game. boeser and garland what you see is what you get. boeser isn't going to get any faster. garland isn't going to get any bigger.. i never liked the garland trade and i think he was horrible production wise last season.. if he didn't get hot and on a streak in april last season? his first season would be exactly like the current season production wise.he's prolly good for 40 points a season at best,, you have one of the better offensive minded coach and he can't coach them to score. i doubt other coaches would all of a sudden turn them into a better points producer.. if horvat kuzmenko and such are gone this team will be one of the worse offensive teams in the league.. you can't win when u don't defend.. but u can't win if u can't score either. 

Just now, wai_lai416 said:

number one priority is to rebuild. bring in 1 grade A defender great instead of letting in 4-5 goals every game you let in 3. only problem is can this team even score 4. to win a game. boeser and garland what you see is what you get. boeser isn't going to get any faster. garland isn't going to get any bigger.. i never liked the garland trade and i think he was horrible production wise last season.. if he didn't get hot and on a streak in april last season? his first season would be exactly like the current season production wise.he's prolly good for 40 points a season at best,, you have one of the better offensive minded coach and he can't coach them to score. i doubt other coaches would all of a sudden turn them into a better points producer.. if horvat kuzmenko and such are gone this team will be one of the worse offensive teams in the league.. you can't win when u don't defend.. but u can't win if u can't score either. 

Yes. This team needs a rebuild but not a complete tear down. We need a proper top level defender to play with QH. We can get that by pushing out the expiring contracts for Cap space and prospects. It’s not easy trading players with term who are struggling. Maybe a buyout or two might have to happen.

Our biggest weakness is defence and coaching. If our PK was just league average, we would have won half the games we lost. You realize every time we go on a penalty the opposing team will score almost every time? How can any team win like that?

Add in a good goalie that steals the occasional game and we will be much better (Dem next season).

Next season will be a lot better. 

3 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Yes. This team needs a rebuild but not a complete tear down. We need a proper top level defender to play with QH. We can get that by pushing out the expiring contracts for Cap space and prospects. It’s not easy trading players with term who are struggling. Maybe a buyout or two might have to happen.

Our biggest weakness is defence and coaching. If our PK was just league average, we would have won half the games we lost. You realize every time we go on a penalty the opposing team will score almost every time? How can any team win like that?

Add in a good goalie that steals the occasional game and we will be much better (Dem next season).

Next season will be a lot better. 

ya i'm not sold on that last season i said this team was a bad team despite what our record was under bruce. i love bb but our records against playoff teams was abysmal but ppl kept laughing at me and pointed at their 97 or 98 point pace or whatever the hell it was, and we'll be much better this season after a proper summer off season training camp etc. i also don't believe demko will ever get back to his previous form.. he had off season surgery and looked like crap all season.. then he has another long term injruy who knows when and what he'll look like after that.. for all we know he could go the way of corey schneider.. never recovered and out of the league shortly after.

9 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

Trade Bo. He is the sacrifice for the rebuild.

Trade Miller for peanuts if able. 

Trade Hughes and Petey while we are at it for a haul cause they sure ain't gonna stay or asked for a trade anyways.

Burn it all down!

Well.........Burning it all down is pretty drastic. I really don't believe that will happen. Ownership and management like the young core too much. (Petey, Huggy, Demmer.) And the moves they made for the players they acquired, though not star quality, have definitely made the Canucks younger. Just what they said they'd do. So..........

Sure. Keep BoHo. The problem is, HOW?!?!?!?!?? And also, does the management feel as you do about him?

If no, then they've a monumental task to pay to keep him. And keeping Bo would mean we'd need to get a legit top grade centre ( Bedard....Yea baby!)  that'll give coach staff some options to place Bo 2nd or 3rd centre, and even play some wing. Where I think he'd be pretty effective.

If yes, then trade his ass away to the highest bidder; a roster player, a decent prospect or two (A  D-Man, forward. Doesn't matter.) and definitely draft picks. Unless we can get a Noah Dobson or reasonable facsimile in return, I don't think there's any hurry this season to get a RD for Huggy. That can happen in the off season in a couple of years after trading the Garlands, Boesers, Millers, Pearsons, etc, for prospects and drafts to offload for what we really need/want. 

To the OP: preferably, they choose to get younger with EP and sell on anyone that is over 26 (including Horvat) for futures or cap space (as is the case with OEL).  OEL is not a leader and should be off the team cause he is very much like LE - a cancer in the locker room.

I would support the team but the shortsighted rise to the middle is getting tiresome.  They need to choose and doubling down will further disenfranchised a lot of longtimers.  

Edited by ShawnAntoski