The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Klingberg submits 10 team trade list

HKSR

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

But signing guys to one year deals and trading them sets a bad precedent or something and scares off free agents.. 

:bigblush:

If a player signs a 1 year deal and gets traded before the end of it, that is on them. They could hold out for longer term. If a team signs a player to a 7 year hometown discount and trade them before it kicks in, that is on the team and is what will scare off pending free agents.

Edited by Mollyworld
content
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Mollyworld said:

If a player signs a 1 year deal and gets traded before the end of it, that is on them. They could hold out for longer term. If a team signs a player to a 7 year hometown discount and trade them before it kicks in, that is on the team and is what will scare off pending free agents.

Yes, I was being facetious. I've had folks argue our trading Kuzmenko would scare free agents off and I've repeatedly pointed to how the Ducks will inevitably trade Klingberg who signed one year deal. It's a bunch of crock, nobody's going to begrudge rebuilding squads and teams who are outside the playoff mix being sellers. It's not like we're signing someone to a four year deal and flipping them to Arizona or something. 

And well, Bruce here we are.  

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

14 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

But signing guys to one year deals and trading them sets a bad precedent or something and scares off free agents.. 

:bigblush:

Like when the Canucks signed Marco Sturm?  They never recovered after that move.  ::D

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • There it is 1

Good move by the Ducks doing this now, it will cement them being last in the league for a greater chance at Bedard.

My issue with this team is that they appeared to have premeditated their tank BEFORE the season started, which is awful for the sport, current players on the team and many of the paying fans.

6 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Good move by the Ducks doing this now, it will cement them being last in the league for a greater chance at Bedard.

My issue with this team is that they appeared to have premeditated their tank BEFORE the season started, which is awful for the sport, current players on the team and many of the paying fans.

It is... but man will their fans be fine with it if they land Bedard.  Bedard-Zegras... wowza.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Yes, I was being facetious. I've had folks argue our trading Kuzmenko would scare free agents off and I've repeatedly pointed to how the Ducks will inevitably trade Klingberg who signed one year deal. It's a bunch of crock, nobody's going to begrudge rebuilding squads and teams who are outside the playoff mix being sellers. It's not like we're signing someone to a four year deal and flipping them to Arizona or something. 

And well, Bruce here we are.  

These free agents sign these deals literally so they would have a chance to be flipped and get a playoff run when a contender isn’t willing to give them a contract for the season.

If Klingberg wants to up his value in free agency next summer, a good long playoff run where he shows well gives him that chance. 

• Cheers 2

Smart move, they pretended like they'd be ready to contend, crapped the bed then sell again at the TDL. Risky business because that's a big cap hit so they'll have to take cap back, but it's instant value out of nothing - likely yet another first round pick.

If they get Bedard it's all over.

That being said it's one thing to tank (which they've done well), it's another thing to turn all those picks and prospects into victories which we've seen many teams struggle to do. Got to think in a couple of years once their top pick this year gets a season or two under their belt, they should acquire some veterans to show them how it's done.