The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I don't understand the desperate need to make the playoffs even though they fail to do so year after year.

Rate this topic

Canuckfanforlife82

• Canuckfanforlife82 changed the title to I don't understand the direction and the constant need to make the playoffs yet fail again and again
Just now, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I am just beside myself at the fact this organization/franchise is going to continue on and just sign the players that are part of this horrible team. Sign Horvat, sign Kuzmenko but it does nothing to change the fact this team is just not a cohesive unit. They are just ignoring everything and pretending they are better than they are even though it's been obvious through the last few seasons they aren't a good team. Such a stubborn ownership and they deserve what they are going to get. Dhaliwhal talking about Dumba, Provorov etc. am I missing something? Can anyone explain this line of thinking. No one else around the league gets it either. I truly believe Francesco is insane and could care less about the future. Such a depressing ownership group. Out of touch with fans.

I think if you switch your pronouns from “they” to “he” it makes sense.  He, our owner, has insisted upon this direction since he bought the club.  Fans might not agree, but “he” very nearly won a Cup with Gillis following his prescribed direction. IMHAO our owner believes this core can win too, providing they are supported like Gillis did with those great teams a decade ago.  

• Cheers 2

• Canuckfanforlife82 changed the title to I don't understand the desperate need to make the playoffs even though they fail to do so year after year.
Just now, Salacious Crumb said:

There is no playoff dream this season.

Maybe relax a little and enjoy the games until the TD. It should be very interesting in the next couple of months around here. We will definitely have a better idea of direction.

I really hope it's all talk and they do some drastic changes that show some promise for the future. We will see. I just don't like what I am hearing.

The Canucks have Demko, Pettersson and Hughes.  Those are the elite young players you try to draft and build around.

Now if things change with those three and you believe you can’t build a winning team around them, or they decide to leave, or you just think they arnt good enough then you tear it down to the studs. That’s fair but imo those three will become premier impact players in this league.  Theyve already shown flashes of it.  Developing consistency is their next step.  

Making the playoffs is just the nature of sports.  Its what your aiming for always.  How you get there/timing can vary though.  

We can't keep paying more for players giving the results that they do.  We are in cap hell precisely because we are overpaying for players that simply aren't worth it to the team for the results.  Paying more for Horvat and Kuzmenko, and everyone else on the team, just means we're paying more for this disjointed team.  We HAVE to change things up, and that means we have to do surgery to the roster.  Sometimes it is about change, it is about clearing the deck.

In a perfect world, we would have traded Miller, we would have signed Horvat in the summer to a 7x7 contract.  We would have gone thru this season, continuing to perform surgery, gaining picks, and assets, drafted high, and used the cap space to acquire more assets to keep on doing the same with till you have a winner.  We didn't, so now, we have to own it, and move on.  Horvat is going to be playing somewhere else, as are some of the people we actually want on the team, as they are the ones with value to trade for things we need in the future.

Pettersson, Hughes, and Demko are the only key pieces you retain on this roster of mediocrity.  Everyone else, make an offer.

• Cheers 2

Pettersson and Hughes are going to bolt if the Canucks don't turn things around and become a playoff team. JR/PA are probably very nervous about this, which could explain why they're trying desperately to be competitive. IMO though, the Canucks won't improve enough and those two will wants trades out of VAN.  

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Pettersson and Hughes are going to bolt if the Canucks don't turn things around and become a playoff team. JR/PA are probably very nervous about this, which could explain why they're trying desperately to be competitive. IMO though, the Canucks won't improve enough and those two will wants trades out of VAN.  

JR/PA contracts are up in a year and a half.  It’s our owner that will still be here.  He’s the one who would be concerned about Petey and Hughes.  

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

JR/PA contracts are up in a year and a half.  It’s our owner that will still be here.  He’s the one who would be concerned about Petey and Hughes.  

They also won't want to stay if the team doesn't have a plan that seems successful. I am sure they know the status quo just won't cut it. They might want to leave if they know the organization is stuck and has no way to build around them. 

1 minute ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

They also won't want to stay if the team doesn't have a plan that seems successful. I am sure they know the status quo just won't cut it. They might want to leave if they know the organization is stuck and has no way to build around them. 

Maybe?  But, again, that’s our owner’s concern.  JR/PA wont be around.  Their mandate is to build a winner inside of their contracts.  Then they will either be extended (if the club is indeed winning) or replaced. 

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe?  But, again, that’s our owner’s concern.  JR/PA wont be around.  Their mandate is to build a winner inside of their contracts.  Then they will either be extended (if the club is indeed winning) or replaced. 

Do you really think it's possible to be contenders in their timeframe with the amount of problems that can't be overcome and without sacrificing the longterm future or this franchise? I just don't see it. Most don't. I mean if your aren't in a position to get there you aren't in a position to get there. They just want to force it. Thinking like this is very concerning.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

And therein lies the problem.  With this 'shortcut to success' thought process, we've endured a decade of pain.  We are into the Buffalo/Edmonton level of pain but without a number 1 pick to show for it, and no hope on the horizon.  I feel like the calgary flames during the end of Iggy's tenure.  Not good enough to get in and win, not bad enough to get the high end draft pick to make the team better.  We have to choose a direction and commit, or, more of the same.  I know there is no one way to build a contender, but what we're doing can't be qualified as the road to success.

You build it, one brick at a time, but you have to have the insight and vision to know what the hell you're doing, and formulate a long term plan.  But 3 year contracts where we've burnt thru almost 2 of it...lol, give your head a shake.  The boss is the problem, there is no long term, and he just doesn't understand how hockey works.  Lost the plot, get out of the way, you're doing more harm than good, and he's made the journey to even the first round impossible.  

I think Burke said it, if I'm driving, I have both hands on the wheel.  If I don't, I'm not here.  We need a person in charge who can tell the owner to sit down and enjoy the ride, I got this.

• Cheers 1

Boston/Vancouver 2011 Cup finalists...  10 years later?  Boston #1 Vancouver -bottom feeder....this is a deep problem...Too bad Trevor was kicked out....Hockey management takes smarts & we haven't had any for a long time...needed?  New DNA

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Why would Pettersson and hughes do that when McDavid and Dres, have never done that...........this is a media born issue

What Pettersson and Hughes want to see is a plan and an action to that plan.......

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I hope this is not the case but Demko reminds me a lot of Schnieds, When he had his surgery he was never the same, He had such a promising career...But I won't be surprised, We're Vancouver. Since when do things work out for us!?!

• Huggy Bear 1

Evidently, the owner is an idiot and only hires underlings that will fall in line with his idiotic plans.

It's also very possible that said underlings are idiots on their own.

So yeah, not a great situation.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Cheers 1

The CONSTANT rise to the MIDDLE will both make the playoffs and Bedard a dream.  Francescos' plan of constantly chasing the playoffs is so shortsighted, that he only made it worst by hiring some of the worst executives, in the league.  The current mess is both so sad and (somewhat) funny cause the incompetence, is just off the charts.  The yearly, results is unbiased and chances are good they double down - despite what JR is saying.  The ultimate cost will be EP, for Miller & OEL...

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/569255

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Upvote 1

From a business standpoint, money/ (playoff) ticket revenue is a major motivator for team success, even if said team (in this case, us) should rebuild.
Regarding the acquisitions of guys like Provorov, Dumba, etc. I think for the right fit it certainly warrants consideration.  While it may not lead to playoff success right away, guys that we want to move can still thrive in new environments.  Take for instance one scenario that I've proposed before on this site, where (after Toews and Kane get moved) the Hawks may want to take a flyer on guys like Boeser/ Garland as a fresh start in their top-6 where there's a talent vacuum, in the event that their defenders, e.g. Murphy/ McCabe want to leave, we could add a pick to swing a trade.  In saying this, I think there are practical situations where these guys can thrive (other teams could be on the Isles next to Barzal, as they are 22nd in goals for, or to Nashville who's 26th).  With that, I'd argue that some moves (which may look like they're motivated by desires for immediate success) may be the best and only available move, as teams may not want to just trade picks or they may need to move cap out, so in turn we shouldn't view every trade as a "playoff push" move when sometimes it's out of necessity that we take a useful player in or close to their prime coming back.

Edited by Phil_314

NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO ALL I WANT IS A TEAM THAT IS FUN SKILLED STICKS UP FOR TEAMATES AT THE PROPER TIME...LIKE HORVAT HELD HIS COOL..SMART HOCKEY..CANUCKS PLAY THEM AGAIN SOON...BE PATIENT...AS FAR AS TRYING TO WIN THE CUP AND JUST ALL THIS VERY UN EDUCATED TALK ABOUT TRADE THIS DO THIS ..IT DONT MATTER JUST LET IT ROLL...HOCKEY ONLY HAS SO MANY PLAYERS AND THE CORRECT RECIPE IS THE BILLION DOLLAR QUESTION...YES YOU JUST TRY AND TRY THATS IALL..