The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Bruins re-sign Pavel Zacha

14 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

how's that a HUGE overpayment gets you 40-50 points fits in perfectly with boston 100k/point. meanwhile we have garland paid 4.95  for around 40 points and a -8

Zacha has been very underwhelming for 6 seasons prior to this one where he might get 40+ points for the first time in his career. But so far he’s been a big Center that doesn’t win faceoffs or hit. Very frustrating player to watch until maybe this year as Boston just primarily uses him on the wing now. This year he has taken around 100 FO and won 37% of them. In 42 games he has 34 hits which would drive me crazy as he’s like 6’4” and 200+ pounds while playing 16 minutes a game. I’d honestly rather have Garland I think he’s the better player. Our GM was just too dumb when in free agency spending cap on more wingers and burying the already rich depth we had when he should have used the cap space on a Center (Evan Rodriguez) or dmen like a John Marino trade. Instead they brought in Mikheyev and Garland started what half the season or more on the 3rd line when you could be getting more out of your cap spent by playing him with better players like he is now. Playing with Horvat and Miller and Garland has 7 points in his last 10 games. He’s good enough to play up the lineup management just kept spending in the wrong area.

• Cheers 1

Yep overpaid, sure, but this is exactly what the Canucks were missing this year. He's on a 48 point pace, terrible at faceoffs but plays 13-15 minutes on their third line and PK and plays well physically.

We should have hunted for a cheaper 3C like him this offseason. Instead we blow that money on Mikheyev (when we already have Boeser and Garland).

Overpayment, sure, by a smidge, but that Boston team is well built and always has been with big, strong two way centers, a star defenceman and good top-4 guys, a great tandem goalie system and their last priority is depth at winger because they can roll anyone in their top 9 alongside the core centers and D and they'll produce. When you've got such good defensive centers it really lets guys like Pasta and Marchand and even Debrusk now run riot offensively.

Meanwhile the Canucks load up on wingers and have an AHLer in Dries or Aman as our 3C, and our 4th line center is Lazar who is basically Boston's 5th center and wants good enough for them, not to mention Studnicka too.

• Like 1

I really wanted Zacha and Marino in the offseason from NJD and there must have been a trade to be made there as NJD got rid of both of them. 3C and 1RD fixed, we could have given up a lot for that. Can't remember their cap situation but Miller/Boeser + Rathbone/Schenn + 2nd/3rd would surely get it done.

Miller + Schenn + 3rd last year for Zacha and Marino sounds outrageous considering Miller was a 99pt guy but boy would it have worked out well for us. That's the sort of bold move that would have easily put us in the playoffs.

On 1/16/2023 at 5:43 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

I really wanted Zacha and Marino in the offseason from NJD and there must have been a trade to be made there as NJD got rid of both of them. 3C and 1RD fixed, we could have given up a lot for that. Can't remember their cap situation but Miller/Boeser + Rathbone/Schenn + 2nd/3rd would surely get it done.

Miller + Schenn + 3rd last year for Zacha and Marino sounds outrageous considering Miller was a 99pt guy but boy would it have worked out well for us. That's the sort of bold move that would have easily put us in the playoffs.

Zacha has won 37% of his FO this year. Signing him is not 3C fixed it’s more log jammed middle 6 winger issue. They should have used that cap space on a John Marino trade 100% though.

1 hour ago, Shayster007 said:

Overpayed and got protection, right on. I like seeing other teams make bad decisions too. Makes me feel better about us.

I know he was overpaid but you can hardly say that organisation has made many bad decisions (hockey-wise), they've basically been a contender since 2011, pretty much every year, and this year yet again have a historically good year. Can't say anyone on their roster is playing poorly.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I know he was overpaid but you can hardly say that organisation has made many bad decisions (hockey-wise), they've basically been a contender since 2011, pretty much every year, and this year yet again have a historically good year. Can't say anyone on their roster is playing poorly.

They are one of the best run franchise overall right now. That's why I like when they makes moves I don't approve of. Bugger Boston forever.