The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fire Rutherford & Allvin

Rate this topic

MtnHockeyGuy

Ive thought for awhile Ill be patient till the TDL / off season.  Allvin has problems inherited from the previous roster, decisions made before was hired (I do think it’s fair to say PA didnt get to choose his coach) but a lot of problems created as well.  

So Im still on the fence at this point.

• Cheers 3

They aren't any better than Benning so far. If they bring Tocchet then the pitchforks will be out because if they do hire him that in itself deserves JR/Alvin to be kicked to the curb. They have until the TDL to do something to redeem themselves but I sense another letdown. This franchise is a f**king joke and never in all my years have I been this embarrassed to be a Canucks fan. There is no winning culture in Vancouver, that's for sure. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I don't like the fact that everybody and his dog in Vancouver knows the big problem is right D and the penalty kill.

They must have heard the rumour.

Yet they've made every kind of move and adjustment to everything but RD and the penalty kill.

I don't know though...maybe they've got something up their sleeve or something.

Edited by John_Guest
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

55 minutes ago, MtnHockeyGuy said:

This experiment and attempted franchise turn-around has turned into an absolute travesty, and is going to have irreparable damage very soon. There is just absolutely no way, being a business owner and paying someone to make these decisions, you can sit by and let it continue. 

Is Allvin not our GM? Or is Rutherford our GM? When is the last time Allvin has actually spoken publicly to the fans? Rutherford seems to be doing all the talking, and the talking he does is putting this franchise in a dark hole. From a PR perspective (Doerrie, Pearson, Tocchet, Boudreau, Boeser, Horvats contract, etc) it has been HORRIBLE. I wouldn't put up with it, and quite frankly I am surprised Aquilini is also. 

The CULTURE. This team has been built absolutely terribly since these guys took over. We HAD character and great role-players. Looking at you Lammiko, Mott, and Chiasson. Hard workers, in your face, penalty killing role players. Gutted. Gone. These are the players that contribute to Playoff and Cup runs. Looking at YOU Kesler, Burrows, Hansen, Higgins, Torres.... This team has been built with absolutely no identity. 

The DRAFT. Sorry, Lekkerimaki.... totally frustrated with that one. 

The DRAMA. There is a big part of me that doesn't trust these "Insiders" like Friedman, Batch, Dhali. But if there IS truth to what's being put out there these days it is totally unacceptable. 

All signs are pointing to COACHING CHANGE? All signs should be pointing to a MANAGEMENT CHANGE. They've been an absolute disgrace to this club. Every time I hear Rutherford speak (not Allvin, because does he ever speak?), I feel like there is this black cloud getting bigger and bigger with acid rain falling on whatever foundation has been holding this franchise up, when it should be the sun getting a little bit brighter the further we go...

At this point I wouldn't even care of Aqua took over as interim GM.

People may say that Aqua pulls the strings here. But I do find it hard to believe that he's happy with the negative press that keeps building around his company and it's going to be affecting his pocket book. 

Your passion and frustration are clearly evident, and with good reasons that you have described well. What was packaged to we fans was a superstar front office, with not only a GM but three assistants, none of who are allowed to speak on the record. Allvin seems to be a marionette and never says anything that hasn't been thoroughly vetted by the club PR people. Rutherford appears to use the "management by walking around" model and there are way too many cooks in the kitchen. I have been around enough bureaucracy in my life and career that my spidey senses were alarmed when this whole thing started. While it sounds great to have several points of view and skill sets, what often happens is paralysis by analysis and nothing gets done. After all is said and done, there is always far more said than done. Now, Allvin has made some decent moves but, as so many have remarked, changing the bottom six forwards and bottom pairing defence doesn't move the needle.

I don't know if the Aquilinis have similar problems in their other businesses, but if they ran their other empire like they run the Canucks they'd be broke. Their search for effective management and coaching has been one disaster after another. (IMHO Gillis was the only smart hire they ever made, and I am aware that thousands of you hate the guy with a passion) Our old friend Alf mentions every other day or so that the owner is pulling the strings. Well, if he is, he's not doing a very good job at all. I mean, who hires a coach before hiring a President AND a GM?

But try to imagine being Francesco, a guy who wants nothing more than to win a Stanley Cup but has no clue how to hire the right people to do the job. I know I am on a bit of a rant here, but those who know what I write will also know that I have been generally supportive of management because it is such a difficult job, and having been in a position of authority for longer than I care to remember, I know that no matter how diligent you are, and how committed you are, and how effective you are, there will always be those that hate you for no other reason than being in a position of authority consists of having a big fat target on your chest every fricking day. So I have always been sympathetic to management and coaching, but I'm done with loyal support. I think that Rutherford's depth of experience and track record should translate into a winning team. It has not, so he has to go. I don't know too many septugenarians who have been able to follow a bad year with a good one, so I don't believe Rutherford can turn the ship around before it sinks out of sight. Sorry, Jim, but your time is past and please leave before you compound the problems by hiring Rick Tocchet.

Edited by Curmudgeon
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

It'll never happen, but I absolutely think Aquilini should cut his losses and sack Rutherford and Alvin. I've seen nothing positive from them in the year they've been here. That's not a short amount of time to get SOMETHING positive done. Even Kuzmenko, one bright spot this year, basically fell in to their laps.

They should have let Smyl stay on as GM. I'm absolutely certain he would have been better at communicating with fans and media and being accountable, and I think he would have made sure that the players on this team were just as accountable. The guy is the embodiment of a heart and soul NHL player. It feels like we have a bunch of ivory tower managers now who are out of touch with the team and the market.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • There it is 1

16 minutes ago, John_Guest said:

I don't like the fact that everybody and his dog in Vancouver knows the big problem is right D and the penalty kill.

They must have heard the rumour.

Yet they've made every kind of move and adjustment to everything but RD and the penalty kill.

I don't know though...maybe they've got something up their sleeve or something.

It's not RD tho, it's LD besides Hughes too. It's the structure really

As a fanbase, we should learn the lessons about expectations.

When new management was hired, many people were so tired of Benning that they were willing to praise Rutherford and company for their soundbites. People overanalyzed their comments and commented that they were a 'breath of fresh air'. Nothing could be further from the truth now.

Here are some pros and cons of this management:

Pros:

- First hockey club to hire women in executive spots - this is an unprecedented move by any franchise

- UFAs were good - pro scouting worked (Kuzmenko and Mikheyev)

- Bear and Pederson trades were good, especially to get Carolina to eat salary

- Lots of offense generated from this roster - Boudreau became somewhat of a hero

- Jonathan Lekkerimaki was not a bad pick at all - second rounder Elias Pettersson is looking good as a D man

Cons:

- Rachel Doerrie hire - absolutely dreadful hiring

- Executive hires as mentioned above may not have been prepared for their roles - Cammi Granato has now managed two bad teams in a row (Seattle and now Vancouver)

- Management failed to address roster needs - For starters, management did not address defensive issues at all

- Re-signing Miller but leaving no room for Horvat - fail

- Re-signed instead of trading Miller - poor financial planning, even if he is producing - we are tight against cap because of this signing

- No movements, specifically trading for futures made during first trade Deadline (!)  and overspent on UFA, despite success with Kuzmenko and Mikheyev - Miller should have been traded

- Stillman trade was truly awful - he is not an NHL calibre defenseman

- Management did not plan to fail - fail

- Trading leverage decreased - return for Horvat and/or Miller is lower than what we could've gotten

- Horvat trade is imminent - rebuild is seemingly inevitable.

This management is so incredibly bad

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

It's too early to say. Mikheyev and especially Kuzmenko have been great additions. I am a little bit frustrated with the draft, because we didn't draft a defenseman despite the obvious need. But we should wait until the TDL to bring the pitchforks out. 

10 minutes ago, Nave said:

It's too early to say. Mikheyev and especially Kuzmenko have been great additions. I am a little bit frustrated with the draft, because we didn't draft a defenseman despite the obvious need. But we should wait until the TDL to bring the pitchforks out. 

We did draft a defenseman - Elias Pettersson - he's one of the few bright spots of this management. He had a pretty decent WJC for Sweden, which is really not saying much.

In the first TDL, new management did nothing.

During FA, they signed a bunch of players, but failed to address what our biggest weaknesses were of this team - defense. They did nothing to address that. Trading for Bear did not do enough, unfortunately. Stillman is the worst trade of this management by a longshot.

If this management resigned tomorrow, I would not be sad. They did a very bad job, aside from the UFA signings like Mikheyev and Kuzmenko.

Edited by Dazzle

4 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

At least Jim Benning made moves and tried to improve the team…this new regime is a joke!

The worst trade that Benning did wasn't the OEL / Garland trade. It was actually the Forsling one, unfortunately.

Benning drafted/developed a lot better than Gillis. Unfortunately, Benning made the mistake of trying to speed up the rebuild. The trade we did was for Clendenning who did well in the AHL, but absolutely SUCKED in the NHL.

The cap space was freed up after the mistakes from Benning. So what does new management do? Repeat the same mistakes. We are tied up in cap like a playoff team, but performing like a tank team.

No vision for the future by not trading Miller during the TDL, and even re-signed him!

New management is absolutely trash.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

20 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Executive hires as mentioned above may not have been prepared for their roles - Cammi Granato has now managed two bad teams in a row (Seattle and now Vancouver)

You mean the Seattle that is 2 points back of Vegas for the Pacific Division lead, and with two games in hand? That Seattle?