The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is this the hardest season ever to be a Canucks fan?

Rate this topic

CanuckFan1123

39 minutes ago, CanuckFan1123 said:

Right now, I feel that there has never been a lower time for this fan base and organization. Am I wrong? 

I am going to go with yes, in my opinion, you are wrong.  Although not by much.

I feel like the lowest time was the Messier / Keenan era.  That team was stacked.  They were led by players such as Bure, Messier, Mogilny, Naslund, Lumme and Ohlund.  That should have been a contending team.  Instead it all imploded.

So I feel like that era was worse than now, but only because the expectations were so much higher.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

I am going to go with yes, in my opinion, you are wrong.  Although not by much.

I feel like the lowest time was the Messier / Keenan era.  That team was stacked.  They were led by players such as Bure, Messier, Mogilny, Naslund, Lumme and Ohlund.  That should have been a contending team.  Instead it all imploded.

So I feel like that era was worse than now, but only because the expectations were so much higher.

I do agree that era was tough as well. I think right now as a fan is tougher though and I think a big thing that plays into it is how much all the drama and everything is advertised because of things like social media for instance that we didn’t have back in that era. I think a major difference is the constant rumors and the things like interviews that we see a little more constantly because all of it is at our fingertips. I think there’s a lot of similarities between then and now but it’s definitely easier to hear about the shenanigans now on a daily basis, which makes it more difficult to cope with. 

9 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

52 years an avid fan. 
Faded out during mid 80’s and the Messier black cloud days. 

For me , this is undoubtedly the worst time in this franchises history.  
In this day and age everything is scrutinized and quickly exposed for all to see how they fail on almost every level. Inside stories, negative stats till the cows  come home, social media aiding the spread. The closet door is open wide for all to see just how dysfunctional things really are. 
Combine all that with the high hopes generated by young stars/media and my own limited time I never felt so disheartened about the Vancouver Canucks. 
Probably be easier if the team was moved which would better enable me to forget them altogether. There may be hope however right now I don’t see it. It’s sad to see your childhood hero’s reduced to this. 

Yeah, I know I’ve actually said this a couple times this year but I for real need a mental break from this team.  Like somehow management and Canucks drama is somehow “my problem” and it causes me a little stress tbh.  Hockey should be something you enjoy, and if you aren’t at the moment, i think fans taking a break from the Canucks is needed.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

30 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

52 years an avid fan. 

In this day and age everything is scrutinized and quickly exposed for all to see how they fail on almost every level. Inside stories, negative stats till the cows  come home, social media aiding the spread. The closet door is open wide for all to see just how dysfunctional things really are. 
Combine all that with the high hopes generated by young stars/media and my own limited time I never felt so disheartened about the Vancouver Canucks. 
Probably be easier if the team was moved which would better enable me to forget them altogether. There may be hope however right now I don’t see it. It’s sad to see your childhood hero’s reduced to this. 

Saying the team should be moved is a little extreme. I'm a Canucks fan through thick and thin. Not saying you haven't been--52 years is a long time, and I haven't been even been alive that long--but still.

• Cheers 1

I've been watching this team since the early 90s. I'm aware that this team was virtually unwatchable in the 80s though. I've seen the ups and downs.

This is a pretty bad time for the team, but I am looking forward to tanking so we can look to the future.

We really have to point the finger squarely at Gillis. The playoff contending years mixed in with dreadful draft picks and development during this time period have crippled us for the future.

His time may have been 8-10 years ago, but had he drafted some players besides Hodgson and Horvat (both were high 1st rounders), we'd have some useful depth. He absolutely mucked up all the other picks in the later rounds. That's a lot of failed picks. We could have saved a ton of UFA money or avoided trades if we had depth.

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Strawbone said:

Been watching the Canucks for 44 years. I haven't watched every game, but I've watched most games that have been on TV. This is the the most disappointing season of all time for me. This team has too much talent to be playing such piss poor hockey, and is just bleeding goals. It's frustrating and almost inexplicable. I know we don't have the world's greatest defencemen, but that's no excuse to be giving up 4 or 5 goals every single night. I've seen way worse rosters than this buckle down and give up fewer goals than we do night after night.

I've always looked forward to Canucks games, and I still do... but barely. I have no problem turning the game off or missing a period here and there or even an entire game to do something better with my time. Change has got to come.

Remember the year we had Bure, Mogilny, Linden, and Messier?... I think it was 96-97?  We were supposed to destroy the league and win da cup!!!!!  Most disappointing season in my memory. 

This year... A close second.  At least we have some great young players.  Back then all we had was a young Naslund, whom hadn't broken out yet. 

Maybe we might finally fully rebuild.  I knew in order for this team to compete this year, they'd have to have had Demko playing in top form.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, van_ws said:

Fan since the 1994 cup final run. In the almost 30 years as a fan, this has been one of the toughest seasons by far. I don't see too much hope or to look forward to right now.

Yep, Only halfway thru the season and its all Over for us.    This means we'll have to wait another year and a half to maybe make the playoffs again.    

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Every year is harder than the last as a Canucks fan. Either you have hopes and they come crashing down or they go in the playoffs and flame out. Until they win a cup it’s always hard 

So glad i dumped my ST's.  should have done it years ago.    

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Barnstorm said:

52 years an avid fan. 

I think this comment definitely says a lot. You’ve been through it all as a fan. Like I said in an above comment, the social media aspect of today’s generation makes it easier to see the constant media coverage and scrutiny surrounding everything and I think that plays a massive role into the every day struggles of current fanhood. We can talk about the bad years from 30 or 40 years back but they were never put under the same scope because the constant day to start media aspect of everything didn’t exist or was very limited. The media kind of is a big reason this team has been ruined besides the general poor play. 

• Cheers 1