The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gino Odjick passes away

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Alot of these athletes are going to be suffering when they get older.  Henri Richard had CTE and he wasn't even an enforcer or a physical player.  It's going to get ugly I think.

Gino 100% should be put in the ring of honour.  I was there to see all those games at Pacific Coliseum with Gino and Pavel.  It was the best time to be a Canucks fan.  Too bad it didn't last very long.  All that is left is the memories...

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I guess Gino passing early with his mind intact was a blessing of sorts.  Jerry Quarry was one of the best boxers of the Muhammad Ali days and he was reduced to nothing...shuffling his way to banquets honoring his career and having no idea why he was there or what he had done in his life.

It's a shame Gino couldn't have been inducted into the Ring of Honor while he was around...as he should have been.  Kind of like the two Pats...Pat Burns and Pat Quinn both inducted into the Hall of Fame a few years after they died.  What was the wait for?

• Cheers 3

6 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

It's a shame Gino couldn't have been inducted into the Ring of Honor while he was around...as he should have been.  Kind of like the two Pats...Pat Burns and Pat Quinn both inducted into the Hall of Fame a few years after they died.  What was the wait for?

Iirc Quinn, as a member of the selection committee, asked not to be voted on, while he was on the board. Didn't want the 'conflict of interest' label.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

It's so sad, really. Preventable. As someone who's taken a few good blows to the head and had concussions in the past, it's worrisome to connect these dots.

Gino likely paid the ultimate price for his toughness...I cringe when guys are going toe to toe. I know we love the physicality aspect of it all (and cheer in the moment, I'm no different), but the lingering impact is no longer something to ignore. The enforcers in the league played an important role for sure (in eliminating cheap shot artists), but it's not without a price.

Here's a bit more insight....

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/cte-likely-ex-canucks-gino-odjicks-deterioration

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 3