The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] How much of CDC is actually on team tank?

Rate this topic

Roberts

POLL  

165 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

37 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

I see 'team tank' as meaning the players try to purposely lose as many games as possible.  That's why I just can't get behind that concept.

They don't though.   Neither do the coaches.   It's on management to create that for them.   Lou "we tried awfully hard to get the best odds to draft Mathews".

To me they shouldn't play Demko until he's 110%.   And once they do - split the games 50/50.   Sometimes a coach does align .. if they have all the hats like Pat Quin and Keenan.   Hasn't happened in a long time.   

Playoffs do matter more right now with this group of guys.   Management failed to improve the D and coaches failed to improve or PK (although Walker did get us to 12th during his time only ... that was respectable)...It's a roster issue more than coaching one. 

Teams close and far at the same time.   We'd be much closer if we had cap flexibility.   Management went in on fixing the PK...lol but our D just can't do it.   Too many coaches - it's the roster more than the coaching at this point.  

Last couple games we could have won with Demko of last year no problem.  

Team needs to start somewhere.   Trading Brock makes the most sense.  Glad he's back to his normal self the past dozen or so games.   Either Brock or Horvat have to be traded to start.   This team isn't built to win a cup at the moment.  It's built to trade players to help EP and maybe QHs have a chance that's about it.   We need to make a trade and get the ball rolling - and this year would be a good one to boost our future. 

• Like 2
  • There it is 2

4 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Captain

The players would never tank........it is not in their DNA..........nor the coach

What tank means, is for the GM to act accordingly, and move some of the players........aka, Miller, Horvat, Schenn, etc.......

Just weaken yourself by omission

When you are as low as we are, with a 1% chance of making the playoffs, what is the point in the GM wanting to win, whe  he can strengthen the club through the draft, and yes that means a purposeful tank, by the GM

Ownership would obviously need to be on board with the tank

Yep.   Players want to win.  Coaches do too.   It's not just in their DNA - it's also in their wallets and future earning potential.   

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Roberts said:

I'm curious to see how much of CDC is actually on team tank, meaning we hope the Canucks finish in the worst possible position for the best draft lottery odds.

No Tank You - Señor GIF - Pronounced GIF or JIF?

Great Poll and thanks for showing who supports/doesn't support Team Tank - so it's documented forever in history!  

2 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

I see 'team tank' as meaning the players try to purposely lose as many games as possible.  That's why I just can't get behind that concept.

Or something more simple.

Like maybe management not hiring a coach midseason to avoid any dreaded coaching bump, or trading away players like Schenn, Kuzmenko, or Horvar sooner than later, or limiting the games Demko will start once he is healthy.   

To me my biggest worry if players start playing their minds out latter part of the season. Ok we appreciate the effort but we would be equally upset asking where was this all season long?

Edited by iinatcc

5 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Proof that this team would tolerate a tank nicely, ownership just needs to see this. Question is, would it still sell tickets? I'd like to think so

as long there are some crazy 7-5 losses, I think tickets will still sell.

Some advertising thoughts 

"Vancouver Canucks: Come for the game, stay for the train wreck" 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

"Mr. McBackup sir, the SPCA would like to have a word with you..."

Jokes aside, I think tanking to a certain extent is warranted (move the big money, inefficient contracts -- Miller, Boeser, Garland, Myers, Pearson along with the pending UFA's that will bring value, in Horvat, Kuzmenko and probably Schenn).  Replace the 2nd line guys with hungry, inexpensive guys with upside, and try to bring on a GM with a Sakic/ Yzerman-like mindset, who will bring in good-value players (or alternatively bring on pricey vets to absorb the tough minutes along with Petey's line so Hoglander/ Podkolzin can dominate weaker competition).

______ - Petey - Mikheyev
______ - (2nd C acquired in trade) - _______
Hoglander - Studnicka? - Podkolzin (let the wings earn the higher spots; Jack can go if he's not the solution)
Joshua - Aman - Lazar

Hughes - Bear
OEL - (defensive RHD)
Dermott? - _________

Demko/ Martin  

Lol oh man that team looks terrible

Hopefully we would get some quality pieces back for Horvat Kuz Schenn because the rest (Boeser, Garland, Miller, Myers, Pearson) might not get back much let alone might also require sweeteners to trade 

It might need to be a 2 year project where we trade Boeser, Garland Pearson and Myers next year. (Pearson cannot be traded this year anyway due to injury) 

Give Boeser and Garland pp1 time to increase their value and flip myers with retainment at the deadline in 2024.

Between Horvat, Kuz and Schenn, i would be looking for 2 first rounders and 2 seconds and a quality prospect at the very least. 

Add our first and 2nd this year and that would be 3 first rounds and 3 second rounders at this year's draft. 

My only concern about this is the memory of the year 6 year period between 2011 and 2016where we had 8 firsts including 3 in the top 10  and ended up with Horvat, Boeser to show for it

We then busted on

Juolevi 

Shinkaruk 

Gaunce

Jensen 

Virtanen

Traded 

McCann 

That's 2 roster players out of 8.

Most teams that trade with us are contenders and will be late 1st so chances of us busting is actually quite possible. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Yep.   Players want to win.  Coaches do too.   It's not just in their DNA - it's also in their wallets and future earning potential.   

Yes, players would never lose on purpose.  That's why you have to make trades and fill the roster with AHL guys, that way even if they try their hardest they will still lose.  It is called the stealth tank...

• Cheers 2

This is a deep draft by all reports. The best thing for this team is to get a top guy. With a chance at bedard, no team consistency and no playoff shot the gm should maintain the status quo for all staff and move players for future assets.

It sucks being on team tank. The players are out there trying to win and you get no joy from a boeser goal to tie it up. Your only joy comes from the idea of this upping his trade value. You are giving up small short term joy for uncertain longer term success.

Being in the middle limbo is ultimately worse as you only get the little joys but getting out of it requires success and a gm who makes the right moves. If that is done wrong then the tank rolls on too long. I think of edmonton who kept drafting forwards rather than d, i think of the 76ers in basketball who kept drafting big men and i think of the sabres who never find the right guys.

I'm not impressed by Alvin but this trade deadline will show if he can make the trades needed. If not then it should be a total house cleaning. Rather see a gm/coach hire together like what the 49ers did in football. Its ironic mentioning the 49ers though as like most 1980s-90s 49ers fans you either want a super bowl win or want to be building towards the next - there's no tolerance for anything else but that's what a period of championships brings you. The Canucks are different but they have spent too long in the middle.

Edited by OldFaithfulCap
49ers
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

as long there are some crazy 7-5 losses, I think tickets will still sell.

Some advertising thoughts 

"Vancouver Canucks: Come for the game, stay for the train wreck" 

Exactly, and best of all, fans will come to cheer individual performances. To watch a 1st round pick score their first goal, shoot up the rankings, be in the running for the Calder etc. will be minor victories the fans will get behind.

I know FA wants playoff revenue but there's not much point gunning the team for a 4 game sweep - not much revenue there. Might as well tank, sell out regular season games to watch an exciting young team grow and then when they are ready in 3-5 years we'll get consistent playoff revenue.

• Cheers 1

I'm on team tank. We've been "retooling" since AV got fired and it has gotten us nowhere. 6 top 10 picks in that time span (Virtanen, Juolevi, Pettersson, Hughes, Podzolkin, was-to-be Guenther) shows us what we really were as a franchise. We need to start from the ground up.

• Cheers 1

At this point of the season, is that even a question?

Its like being told, if you go to the end of the road you have a 1in 5 chance to get $10M free....

and on the way down towards the end, you take a detour into a ;pub for a pint, cause you know a pint is a pint, and we probably won't get the money anyway...

Wake up JR/PA... if ever a stealth tank was needed, now is the time... Even if the top prize isn't reached (hopefully it is), the consolation prize looks to be as good as anyone, if not better than whoever, we'll ship out for the stealth...

Now is the time too be bold...

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Or something more simple.

Like maybe management not hiring a coach midseason to avoid any dreaded coaching bump, or trading away players like Schenn, Kuzmenko, or Horvar sooner than later, or limiting the games Demko will start once he is healthy.   

To me my biggest worry if players start playing their minds out latter part of the season. Ok we appreciate the effort but we would be equally upset asking where was this all season long?

You know they will... moral victories...

When team going to the playoff ease off slightly to avoid unnecessary injuries, we'll start to win games putting plasters over the wounds... has happened 6-7 times the last 10 years...

5 hours ago, Hectic said:

Tanking sounds great in theory but it's awful for team culture especially in a Canadian market

It's different than that. There's going to be wins. But the way the team is playing with no iota of defence there's going to be a lot more losses. 

So it doesn't matter what the players want. It's what the players are doing that's the problem. The players themselves seem to self destructing. 

That needs to change. The team needs a massive overhaul. 

• Cheers 1