The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] How much of CDC is actually on team tank?

Rate this topic

Roberts

POLL  

165 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Stupid question.. the chances of us making the playoffs is about 0. We either tank in a very deep draft or try our best and still lose games, drafting #10-15. 

Remember Benning saying in his 2nd or 3rd year they would never tank because they dont want our youngsters to develop a loser mentality? That worked out really well. 

Edited by Drakrami
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

The core is rotten. The team is good enough to win when things go well for them, but doesnt have enough heart or character to fight through it when things go bad. Absolute worst thing to be if you want to contend for the cup.

I fear that Horvat is copying miller from last year and playing for a contract, only to half ass it after signing. I worry that other key players like pettersson and hughes will follow suit. I question demkos health and whether we can rely on him. 

Most of all i dread the thought of this management group doing eff all to fix anything (again), re-signing players to bad contracts (again), signing more goddamned wingers instead of dealing with a terrible defense (again).

Benning at least had enough backbone to try to improve the team. Allvin and the chipmunks might just end up spearheading canucks hockey down to a level that rivals the keenan years. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

You know they will... moral victories...

When team going to the playoff ease off slightly to avoid unnecessary injuries, we'll start to win games putting plasters over the wounds... has happened 6-7 times the last 10 years...

I know it's almost a running gag :lol:

• Haha 1

I understand that Bedard is a special player and I'd love to see him in a Vancouver jersey but I still think that tanking is stupid, despite it being a rather popular idea.  Even if we lose every game between now and the end of the season we still don't have a very good chance at getting Bedard.  Shooting ourselves in the foot isn't going to make us a better team.  How is establishing even more of a losing culture going to help this team?  We have to get in the habit of trying to win every single game not get into the habit of trying to get an advantage by losing.  Losing is for losers, and doing it intentionally is a sign of weak character.  Even though I really want us to win the cup I don't care if we ever get it as long as we try to win every single game always.  And do you know what?  I strongly suspect that we would have a better chance of winning the cup if we do.  Go Canucks Go!

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

3 minutes ago, nux_win said:

I understand that Bedard is a special player and I'd love to see him in a Vancouver jersey but I still think that tanking is stupid, despite it being a rather popular idea.  Even if we lose every game between now and the end of the season we still don't have a very good chance at getting Bedard.  Shooting ourselves in the foot isn't going to make us a better team.  How is establishing even more of a losing culture going to help this team?  We have to get in the habit of trying to win every single game not get into the habit of trying to get an advantage by losing.  Losing is for losers, and doing it intentionally is a sign of weak character.  Even though I really want us to win the cup I don't care if we ever get it as long as we try to win every single game always.  And do you know what?  I strongly suspect that we would have a better chance of winning the cup if we do.  Go Canucks Go!

It isn’t just about Bedard though maximizing chances for him is good.  The high end of the draft is where elite talents usually come from. You build championship teams around elite talents. Problem is we also lack depth at all levels at centre and especially right D. The system needs major surgery and best way to do that is selling off assets that aren’t working. 
‘In the cap world this is how winners are built. Like it or not.  Not being willing to tear it down and start over is how we continue to lose after a decade of loosing. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

It isn’t just about Bedard though maximizing chances for him is good.  The high end of the draft is where elite talents usually come from. You build championship teams around elite talents. Problem is we also lack depth at all levels at centre and especially right D. The system needs major surgery and best way to do that is selling off assets that aren’t working. 
‘In the cap world this is how winners are built. Like it or not.  Not being willing to tear it down and start over is how we continue to lose after a decade of loosing. 

Maybe, maybe not.  If there was one true formula for winning, everyone would do it.  And then it still wouldn't work because not everyone can win.  It's the concept of trying to win by losing that is problemmatic for me.  Yes, it's a deep draft but the draft is meant to be a consolation prize for teams not strong enough to win.  It's not meant to be a go-to strategy for establishing a winner.  That doesn't stop people from trying to call a bug a feature though.  Establishing a winning culture is not about any individual player but rather it's about establishing a winning culture.  Or in other words establishing the effort needed to win is just as important as having the right players.  GCG!

P.S. - As much as Canucks fans hate the Bruins, do you think that they would ever lose on purpose to try to get a better draft pick?  I don't think so.  They, and other top teams, manage to get the players they need through other means.  It's the winning spirit that carries them not the draft pick order.

• There it is 1

3 minutes ago, nux_win said:

Maybe, maybe not.  If there was one true formula for winning, everyone would do it.  And then it still wouldn't work because not everyone can win.  It's the concept of trying to win by losing that is problemmatic for me.  Yes, it's a deep draft but the draft is meant to be a consolation prize for teams not strong enough to win.  It's not meant to be a go-to strategy for establishing a winner.  That doesn't stop people from trying to call a bug a feature though.  Establishing a winning culture is not about any individual player but rather it's about establishing a winning culture.  Or in other words establishing the effort needed to win is just as important as having the right players.  GCG!

P.S. - As much as Canucks fans hate the Bruins, do you think that they would ever lose on purpose to try to get a better draft pick?  I don't think so.  They, and other top teams, manage to get the players they need through other means.  It's the winning spirit that carries them not the draft pick order.

Yup.  Where in the draft did the Bruins get this guy?

image.jpeg.3bfbce1c3ad6d0ea5552889467d879a4.jpeg

2023 NHL Draft Lottery Simulator

SIM LOTTERY

RESET

PICK TEAM RECORD PTS PPG RW STREAK L10 ODDS #1 OVR

18-22-3 39 0.907 11 Won 1 3-7-0 6.5% 6.5%

11-26-4 26 0.634 8 Lost 1 4-6-0 18.5% 25.5%

12-27-4 28 0.651 4 Lost 3 3-6-1 13.5% 13.5%

13-27-2 28 0.667 9 Won 1 3-7-0 11.5% 11.5%

13-25-5 31 0.721 11 Lost 9 1-9-0 9.5% 9.5%

13-23-8 34 0.773 10 Lost 2 3-5-2 8.5% 8.5%

18-23-3 39 0.886 11 Won 1 3-7-0 7.5% 7.5%

8 19-20-3 41 0.976 15 Lost 1 5-4-1 6.0% 6.0%

9 18-18-7 43 1.000 17 Won 3 7-3-0 5.0% 5.0%

10 20-20-4 44 1.000 19 Won 1 5-5-0 3.5% 3.5%

11 21-20-3 45 1.023 14 Lost 2 5-4-1 3.0% 3.0%

12 19-17-6 44 1.048 14 Lost 3 5-4-1 2.5% 0%

13 18-16-7 43 1.049 15 Lost 1 5-5-0 2.0% 0%

14 21-18-2 44 1.073 16 Won 1 6-4-0 1.5% 0%

15 21-17-3 45 1.098 13 Won 1 3-6-1 0.5% 0%

16 23-18-3 49 1.114 20 Won 1 5-4-1 0.5% 0%
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, sonoman said:

Not on team tank.  We could finish dead last and still move back 3 draft spots with this teams luck. 

Yup.  Don't get how we could actively cheer for us to lose games.  Imagine we are playing, and our GDT is full of posts cheering for the opponent.  Makes no sense to this old fan.

• Cheers 2

What's wrong with Canucks "fans"?  We've gone from wanting to win the cup to wanting to win the draft lottery.  That's not the big prize people.  In our fervent desire to win something, anything, I think we're forgetting that tanking involves losing on purpose.  I'll never be on board with that.  GCG!

26 minutes ago, nux_win said:

But tanking is not done by the players. Surely management should have the authority and support of the fans to build the best team possible. In this case like @DrJockitch said it means selling off assets that aren't in your plans, not playing through injuries, bringing up some youth ... like should we also be obligated to go trade for one year rentals at the TDL too in that scenario just to help us win (a little bit)? We should probably trade Lekkerimaki plus to replace Pearson if are honestly trying to win.

Even if that pick is not Berard there are franchise changing players in the top 10. Not necessarily world beaters in the league but could be a huge difference for the Canucks and their cap problems. TB actually cheated imo when they got Stamkos. That was a serious tank job. In our case we're just a garbage hockey team that needs to use it's high draft pick wisely. Unfortunately management has backed us into a corner. We are seriously almost out of options without and that would mean blowing up the team and losing for many years.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, nux_win said:

The losing culture can't get any worse as this point. If there was something to salvage that can carry forward to next season, maybe but for now the team has hit rock bottom. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1