The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Wilds Re-sign Matt Boldy 7x7M$

timberz21

1 hour ago, AngryElf said:

Ugh, I really wanted him in the 2019 draft. I love Podz, but Boldy was my number one once Zegras was taken.

Me too AE. Zegras was my 2, Boldy my 3 for the Canucks pick. But to be fair, I had Podkolzin in the top 5, so I figured there was no chance we would get him and was stoked when we did.

I had Seider at 1 for us which a lot of people thought funny. My buddy ripped me about it all year during our draft ranking bet, and he's a Detroit fan. Needless to say, he thinks I'm a wizard now.

Edited by Shayster007
  • Cheers 3

23 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Great signing for Minnesoda, Boldy 6'2 - 200 lbs -W --Future 75 - 85 point G 25-30 

Only 20 yrs old - GP 47 - 39 PTS

this season 21 - GP 42 -  29 PTS

7 years X 7 million  very good signing to lock this young talented player up before he has big season points wise...

Yep yep, but Boeser is a future 30 goal scorer :towel:

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

43 minutes ago, stawns said:

It's not the Milkers and the OEL's, it's the majority of the league in the middle........that said, the Millers and OEL's have paid their dues and earned those contracts.

Someone else can pay them. I'd rather be the team to sign kids and gamble that over locking yourself into known dead weight no matter what the production levels are 

1 minute ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Someone else can pay them. I'd rather be the team to sign kids and gamble that over locking yourself into known dead weight no matter what the production levels are 

How many teams that are youth heavy win Cups?  Veteran teams win Cups

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Me too AE. Zegras was my 2, Boldy my 3 for the Canucks pick. But to be fair, I had Podkolzin in the top 5, so I figured there was no chance we would get him and was stoked when we did.

I had Seider at 1 for us which a lot of people thought funny. My buddy ripped me about it all year during our draft ranking bet, and he's a Detroit fan. Needless to say, he thinks I'm a wizard now.

I didn't want to believe in the hype around Seider. He was consistently ranked 20-30th overall, yet he's a big, smart, smooth-skating right shot defenseman that plays a 200ft game. The hype was mainly fan-generated, so I assumed there was something the consensus was missing. Just seemed like a perfect player for any team, so how is he not ranked in the top 3? Yes I know pundits are stupid, but this was probably the easiest player to project in the draft. 

Then Yzerman took him and I immediately realized he's going to be a star. 

Just now, stawns said:

How many teams that are youth heavy win Cups?  Veteran teams win Cups

We don't need to worry about cups. We need to worry about the learning and applying the absolute basics of this sport starting with a proper system along with adding players actually capable of playing a two way game

I really don't get why you argue against adding youth prior to ascending all the time haha

1 hour ago, stawns said:

I think there will be some contentious meetings within the NHLPA, as young players get huge paydays for potential while players who have paid their dues get squeezed out of the league.  

As a fan, I hope they implement some kind of graduated salary ladder and keep the league more on the veteran side.  

ELC is fine as it is IMO.

21 years old to 24 years old inclusive:

- Max Cap Hit equal to or less than 7% of Total Cap Limit (ie. 7% of 82.5M = $5.775) -- using a % means it'll roll with any increases in the cap limit

- Maximum Term of Contract = 4 years

Then at 25 years old and above, they can sign for whatever they want with the same lengths as they have now (7 or 8 years).

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

We don't need to worry about cups. We need to worry about the learning and applying the absolute basics of this sport starting with a proper system along with adding players actually capable of playing a two way game

I really don't get why you argue against adding youth prior to ascending all the time haha

Isn't the goal to win a Stanley Cup?

17 minutes ago, HKSR said:

ELC is fine as it is IMO.

21 years old to 24 years old inclusive:

- Max Cap Hit equal to or less than 7% of Total Cap Limit (ie. 7% of 82.5M = $5.775) -- using a % means it'll roll with any increases in the cap limit

- Maximum Term of Contract = 4 years

Then at 25 years old and above, they can sign for whatever they want with the same lengths as they have now (7 or 8 years).

Either % of cap or term limits is a great fix, I agree.  If GM's can't control themselves, the league should do it for them.

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, AngryElf said:

I didn't want to believe in the hype around Seider. He was consistently ranked 20-30th overall, yet he's a big, smart, smooth-skating right shot defenseman that plays a 200ft game. The hype was mainly fan-generated, so I assumed there was something the consensus was missing. Just seemed like a perfect player for any team, so how is he not ranked in the top 3? Yes I know pundits are stupid, but this was probably the easiest player to project in the draft. 

Then Yzerman took him and I immediately realized he's going to be a star. 

For me, it was his performance in a men's league that was so impressive. He was holding his own, and often dominating in the DEL (I think, this is all from memory). I loved his style of physical hockey, and felt he was very strong defensively. I had no idea he would become so good offensively. 

I kept telling my buddy I was hoping we would take him at 9, and he thought I was nuts and there was no way. When Detroit took him at 6 or 7 he texted me in disbelief. Now he has a Seider jersey.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

I was 

zegras 

seider

krebs

newhook

and for podz if we took him I accepted cause I knew so little on him at the time

of draft accept for he was great at puck retrieval and was C 

I wasn’t keen on Boldy at draft 

I really wanted Dach and would have been happy to see us trade up to get him.

2 hours ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Pay them early to save coin down the road. Still funny these guys waste more cap then us... Yet they make the playoffs and draft more than we do. Clearly they don't pick the busts or long term projects like us either. Neat

We suck because our defense is terrible. plain and simple.

• Cheers 2

I'm getting really tired of GMs paying for potential and then complaining that no teams have cap space so can't make trades. Boldy definitely has the potential to make this contract a bargain, but realistically he should have been signed for something along the lines of 5.5 x 3, not 7 x 7.

2 hours ago, stawns said:

I think there will be some contentious meetings within the NHLPA, as young players get huge paydays for potential while players who have paid their dues get squeezed out of the league.  

As a fan, I hope they implement some kind of graduated salary ladder and keep the league more on the veteran side.  

My view is completely opposite.  The game is getting younger and younger and teams that capitalize on the 3-year ELC of their best prospect are usually better equip.  Players don't get to UFA until they are 28 (sometimes 27), while players usually peak between 24-28.  That's when you want to pay them their worth.   The reason why teams are so cap strapped is because they keep paying for past services when they get to 28 and by 30-32 they are already not living up to these new monster contract.

Also a lot of teams "burn" their 1st year of their prospect's ELC on purpose (10 games after NCCA or CHL season), just so they can get to that bridge earlier and sign a friendly contract.  Players are no fools, you want to go that way, well the price or term of those friendly deal just keeps getting up.

If you're a veteran and you want to stay in this league, well stay fit/productive or signs shorter term deal that you will actually live up too.  Otherwise those burden contracts keeps money from team signing their up-and-coming stars (or sacrificing depth to surround those stars properly).

I know it's a completely different sports and financial structure, but NBA deals are maxed at 5 years.  Lebron James doesn't have a 10 year guaranteed contract, he has player option (which the NHL doesn't have I know) but he can renegotiated every other year and as long as he continuing to person, he will get max deals.  I'd be ok with younger players (24 or younger) getting longer deal 10 years, but would cap players 28 or 30 and up at 5 years.  NHL is one of the only sports where all contracts all fully guaranteed, maybe that need to change so players are more accountable for their performances/$ value.  I know hockey is a tough sports, but we want teams to spent their money (which is our money) better and have a better show.

For every Nathan Mackinnon bargain, there are at least 50 LE/Myers/OEL burdens.

Edited by timberz21

4 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

My view is completely opposite.  The game is getting younger and younger and teams that capitalize on the 3-year ELC of their best prospect are usually better equip.  Players don't get to UFA until they are 28 (sometimes 27), while players usually peak between 24-28.  That's when you want to pay them their worth.   The reason why teams are so cap strapped is because they keep paying for past services when they get to 28 and by 30-32 they are already not living up to these new monster contract.

Also a lot of teams "burn" their 1st year of their prospect's ELC on purpose (10 games after NCCA or CHL season), just so they can get to that bridge earlier and sign a friendly contract.  Players are no fools, you want to go that way, well the price or term of those friendly deal just keeps getting up.

If you're a veteran and you want to stay in this league, well stay fit/productive or signs shorter term deal that you will actually live up too.  Otherwise those burden contracts keeps money from team signing their up-and-coming stars (or sacrificing depth to surround those stars properly).

I know it's a completely different sports and financial structure, but NBA deals are maxed at 5 years.  Lebron James doesn't have a 10 year guaranteed contract, he has player option (which the NHL doesn't have I know) but he can renegotiated every other year and as long as he continuing to person, he will get max deals.  I'd be ok with younger players (24 or younger) getting longer deal 10 years, but would cap players 28 or 30 and up at 5 years.  NHL is one of the only sports where all contracts all fully guaranteed, maybe that need to change so players are more accountable for their performances/$ value.  I know hockey is a tough sports, but we want teams to spent their money (which is our money) better and have a better show.

For every Nathan Mackinnon bargain, there are at least 50 LE/Myers/OEL burdens.

Players don't peak in their mid 20's........there's a reason that teams who win the cup are very veteran heavy.  It's a team game, not an individual one and these ridiculous rfa contracts fly in the face of that and are ruining the game