The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Wilds Re-sign Matt Boldy 7x7M$

timberz21

4 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I only know canucks. How is boldy's skating? That's what it'll come down to. 

If he's a good skater, he'll be fine. 

That's the new league. 

my point was more that young players dont always improve.  you can gamble on some.  Boldy is probably a good bet.  Everyone wanted to go long term w Boeser but I definitely wasnt as enamoured as some.

4 hours ago, Shayster007 said:

For me, it was his performance in a men's league that was so impressive. He was holding his own, and often dominating in the DEL (I think, this is all from memory). I loved his style of physical hockey, and felt he was very strong defensively. I had no idea he would become so good offensively. 

I kept telling my buddy I was hoping we would take him at 9, and he thought I was nuts and there was no way. When Detroit took him at 6 or 7 he texted me in disbelief. Now he has a Seider jersey.

11 points in 43 games in the DEL, 6'4 and right handed shot. Not sure why he was ranked so low. Broberg had worse numbers in the second division Swedish league. Soderstrom has worse numbers in a better league (SHL) but a 5'11 frame. 

6 hours ago, stawns said:

89 games, $7m and 7 years.  

This is exactly what concerns me when JR is saying they want to get younger players back in any trade.

Let's say you get a 'Boldy' level player or hit a home-run and get a Byram on trade for BoHo for example.  That type of player is going to want to come off of their ELC right into a hefty contract with dollar/term (this isn't a debate whether they deserve it or not, it's simply the trend in the NHL right now - to pay huge contracts to players right off their ELC)  - we simply can't afford that and have no long-range cap-structure plan in place as far as I can tell other than to simply 'wait out the bad contracts' as JR himself admitted today. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

This is exactly what concerns me when JR is saying they want to get younger players back in any trade.

Let's say you get a 'Boldy' level player or hit a home-run and get a Byram on trade for BoHo for example.  That type of player is going to want to come off of their ELC right into a hefty contract with dollar/term (this isn't a debate whether they deserve it or not, it's simply the trend in the NHL right now - to pay huge contracts to players right off their ELC)  - we simply can't afford that and have no long-range cap-structure plan in place as far as I can tell other than to simply 'wait out the bad contracts' as JR himself admitted today. 

That's a good point.

2 hours ago, klw604 said:

Judd Brackett :towel:

This contracts gonna age well

Brackett was still with the Canucks that draft - Podkolzin taken 2 spots before Boldy.  His 1st draft with the Wild was the Rossi pick the following year.

12 hours ago, grandmaster said:

The Wild will be going through a fire sale of players. They are going to be more Cap’d out with this contract as the Sutter and Parise contracts will also rise from 13 to 14.7M starting next year. 

Makes it evident why they can't add Boeser.  They likely won't extend Dumba.  

Beat writer Joe Smith speculates that they could trade Greenway.  He's apparently missed meetings already twice this year and could be on thin ice although they haven't disciplined him (other than a scratch where they said he was sick).  Other players have taken steps to earn larger roles where now he could be replaced on that GREEF line. 

Got to also wonder about Goligoski.  He has been a regular healthy scratch (played only 17 games) and is apparently frustrated.  Only 2M but they can get someone cheaper to play D7.

Edited by mll

34 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

the point wasnt about 1 to 1 comparison to Brock-it’s about the projection of young players-they dont always improve.  a lot of people thought the Canucks should have signed Boeser long term.  

I mean, I still would. Problem is we keep adding one dimensional wingers. So, yeah. I can see why Boeser is getting hated on but I think he's a good 60 point guy. But there's less room for him when we keep adding other 50-60 point guys. I bet on a longer term deal he signs at closer to 6 mil rather than nearly 7mil.