The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Wilds Re-sign Matt Boldy 7x7M$

timberz21

57 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

the point wasnt about 1 to 1 comparison to Brock-it’s about the projection of young players-they dont always improve.  a lot of people thought the Canucks should have signed Boeser long term.  

I mean, if it meant keeping that cap hit low, I'd be all for it. Brock, looking at, is really a 5-5.5M player, and nothing more than that. We have a lot of overpaid players on the team right now. It's too bad. 

• elephant 1

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

I mean, I still would. Problem is we keep adding one dimensional wingers. So, yeah. I can see why Boeser is getting hated on but I think he's a good 60 point guy. But there's less room for him when we keep adding other 50-60 point guys. I bet on a longer term deal he signs at closer to 6 mil rather than nearly 7mil.

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

I mean, if it meant keeping that cap hit low, I'd be all for it. Brock, looking at, is really a 5-5.5M player, and nothing more than that. We have a lot of overpaid players on the team right now. It's too bad. 

6x7 million was the offer which Brock turned down.  

Edited by Angry Goose

I sense this is a contract that Minnesota regrets in a few years.

The only case where you sign a player to such a long term deal is for soon-to-be superstars because you know it's going to pay off.

Boldy from what I've seen has not been better than Boeser when Brock first broke into the league. He may continue improve as opposed to Brock, who has plateaued, but even then, the potential benefits and savings from signing secondary pieces to a long term mega deal aren't that big.

7 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

That offer was back in 2019 when he was 22yr old.  He was a rising star.  I remember a lot of posters were on board with that.

But as years passed, he didn’t skyrocket to projections.  So (I would think) a long term contract last year would have been around $6M.

10 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

This deal was in 2019. Lol. He was coming off two really good 25+ goal seasons one of which was one goal from 30. Things have changed since then. If he were offered 6x6mil last summer I highly doubt he would not have taken it. Job security for a guy injured fairly often. Not that it matters, management clearly doesn't value him long term. Should have just let him walk. Now we are saddled with this contract and a player that doesn't fit management's vision or seemingly coaching staff.

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

This deal was in 2019. Lol. He was coming off two really good 25+ goal seasons one of which was one goal from 30. Things have changed since then. If he were offered 6x6mil last summer I highly doubt he would not have taken it. Job security for a guy injured fairly often. Not that it matters, management clearly doesn't value him long term. Should have just let him walk. Now we are saddled with this contract and a player that doesn't fit management's vision or seemingly coaching staff.

Yes, the offered deal was in 2019 but youre missing the point.  If Brock had taken that deal he would be making more than he is now. my original counter point was that not all young players improve.  it’s not me trashing on Boldy, but rather going long term on young players is still risky in some cases.

4 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

Yes, the offered deal was in 2019 but youre missing the point.  If Brock had taken that deal he would be making more than he is now. my original counter point was that not all young players improve.  it’s not me trashing on Boldy, but rather going long term on young players is still risky in some cases.

That's fair, young players don't have a natural development curve that is only going up. Some hit their potential early. Some don't develop at all and become stars seemingly over night. Some get injured at that 7 year deal looks like absolute garbage. I am not a fan of players coming off their ELC with 6+ year deals. At least not for the insane dollar they're being signed to on top of insane term. We are seeing 7-8 year deals worth 7-8mil plus. Ottawa and Norris I can see not aging very well.

• Cheers 2

20 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

well, that's looking like a bad decision now. he's definitely not getting 6M in his next deal, especially with so many teams with cap issues because of the flat cap. 

5 hours ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

So did Tage Thompson when he signed his $7.1 x 7 deal last off-season. 

Same goes for Jordan Kyrou and Robert Thomas. 

Risks go either way. 

These guys had full seasons under their belt. And came off 70+ point seasons. Boldy has no full seasons, no 70 point seasons. Won't do it this season either. He's not Bergeron or Kesler. He's a guy with half a season and if he stays healthy this season will likely finish in the low 60s for points. Those fellers also signed their deals around 23 and 24. Not 21. The exception being 22 year old Thomas who is a center. Something Boldy is not. I get kids can over exceed expectations/ their contracts. But this is still a bad signing as of this moment imo. Boldy hasn't proven much of anything yet.

I am not saying he'll fail to meet the expectations. I just think we are in an era of putting the cart before the horse and I don't much care for it.

• 2 months later...

Hopefully Podkolzin can progress his game in the next few years and be a contributing top 6 winger for us. He fell from his top 3 ranking and we selected him when Boldy was still available. We know how he is doing in Minnesota in comparison to Podkolzin...but I am hoping for a Nichushkin 2.0 in Podkolzin, Canucks management and fans will need to be patient with Podz for that to come to fruition though!

Boldy looking like a solid signing long term at 7m if he continues progressing in the direction he is going. Comparing apple to oranges after the draft and the early stages of a young NHLers career...ups and downs, Podz will hopefully figure it all out I give him slack to adjust to NA and learn english etc so I am not worried as of yet!

20 minutes ago, Neutral said:

Hopefully Podkolzin can progress his game in the next few years and be a contributing top 6 winger for us. He fell from his top 3 ranking and we selected him when Boldy was still available. We know how he is doing in Minnesota in comparison to Podkolzin...but I am hoping for a Nichushkin 2.0 in Podkolzin, Canucks management and fans will need to be patient with Podz for that to come to fruition though!

Boldy looking like a solid signing long term at 7m if he continues progressing in the direction he is going. Comparing apple to oranges after the draft and the early stages of a young NHLers career...ups and downs, Podz will hopefully figure it all out I give him slack to adjust to NA and learn english etc so I am not worried as of yet!

Different player types though.  I don't expect Podkolzin to ever put up Boldy offensive numbers.  I do expect Podz to become a top tier power forward capable of 20+ goals and 30+ assists at some point.  That makes him a 50 to 60 point power forward, which would be great!

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

On 1/18/2023 at 1:52 PM, N7Nucks said:

These guys had full seasons under their belt. And came off 70+ point seasons. Boldy has no full seasons, no 70 point seasons. Won't do it this season either. He's not Bergeron or Kesler. He's a guy with half a season and if he stays healthy this season will likely finish in the low 60s for points. Those fellers also signed their deals around 23 and 24. Not 21. The exception being 22 year old Thomas who is a center. Something Boldy is not. I get kids can over exceed expectations/ their contracts. But this is still a bad signing as of this moment imo. Boldy hasn't proven much of anything yet.

I am not saying he'll fail to meet the expectations. I just think we are in an era of putting the cart before the horse and I don't much care for it.

I think its kind of smart if you can line up your windows perfectly. 

Lets say Minnesota believes they already have their young core, and their contention window opens in the next 3 years, will contend for 2-3 years, then rebuild after. 

Scenario A - Boldy grows into and outperforms that contract - lets say provides 9m of value for 7m. That's 2 million in savings/outperformance that gives them an edge into their contention window. 

Scenario B- Boldy fails to live up to the 7m, and produces say, 4m worth of value. Minn can give up any of their picks + prospects for the next 3 years to get rid of the contract, which doesn't hurt them, because those picks + prospects likely wont be impact players during Minn's contention window. 

I think these are the kind of bets GMs are going to have to take in order to be competitive. TB and Vegas dominated the LTIR-manipulation era, but the NHL is closing that opportunity. Risky long term contracts for young players to grow into is likely the next opportunity.

3 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Lets say Minnesota believes they already have their young core, and their contention window opens in the next 3 years, will contend for 2-3 years, then rebuild after. 

Super confused?? 

BUYOUT HISTORY (2)   2022-23 2023-24 2024-25 2025-26 2026-27 2027-28
Parise, Zach   $6,371,794 $7,371,794 $7,371,794 $833,333 $833,333 $833,333
Suter, Ryan   $6,371,794 $7,371,794 $7,371,794 $833,333 $833,333 $833,333
TOTAL   $12,743,588 $14,743,588 $14,743,588 $1,666,666 $1,666,666

$1,666,666

They have roughly 15mill dead cap for the next 2 years. You think when that finally ends they are going to rebuild? I must be miss understanding something? 

6 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Super confused?? 

BUYOUT HISTORY (2)   2022-23 2023-24 2024-25 2025-26 2026-27 2027-28
Parise, Zach   $6,371,794 $7,371,794 $7,371,794 $833,333 $833,333 $833,333
Suter, Ryan   $6,371,794 $7,371,794 $7,371,794 $833,333 $833,333 $833,333
TOTAL   $12,743,588 $14,743,588 $14,743,588 $1,666,666 $1,666,666

$1,666,666

They have roughly 15mill dead cap for the next 2 years. You think when that finally ends they are going to rebuild? I must be miss understanding something? 

Contention window starts in 2-3 years (when Parise and Suter cap hits drop to negligible amounts)

They contend for 2-3 years

Then they rebuild

Its the circle of tank 

• There it is 1

2 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Contention window starts in 2-3 years (when Parise and Suter cap hits drop to negligible amounts)

They contend for 2-3 years

Then they rebuild

Its the circle of tank 

Haha something tells me Minni isn't planning to rebuild 6 years from now at this time. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Haha something tells me Minni isn't planning to rebuild 6 years from now at this time. 

i think most teams are gonna realize you kinda have to

you can mortgage your future leading into a 2-3 year window

spend all your assets

then you need to restock

i dont think the gradual retool approach is going to yield too many competitive teams unless theyre incredible at drafting

Just wanna present a word of caution: Clayton Keller and his 7.1 mil/year deal.  

He was on the same ascent as Boldy when he signed his deal.  

In any case, not saying I don't like Boldy's deal. At 7 mil/year, there's some upside for Minny if he takes another step and most importantly keeps this up without having a drop off. 

1 minute ago, eeeeergh said:

i think most teams are gonna realize you kinda have to

you can mortgage your future leading into a 2-3 year window

spend all your assets

then you need to restock

i dont think the gradual retool approach is going to yield too many competitive teams unless theyre incredible at drafting

I think Minni is building something special. I mean they are really very good currently 8th in the league with 16mill in dead cap. They could buy 2 PPG players for that. 

They have Rossi, Yurov, Ohgren, Khovanov, Lorenz, Beckman, Lambos and importantly Wallstedt, Gustavsson in the pipe it's quite the impressive stable of prospects. 

• Like 1