The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

And you thought Gretzky wasn't an athlete?

*Buzzsaw*

A little humour here...

A 60 meter dash race between Gretzky, Sugar Ray Leonard, Pele and Bjorn Borg.

Gretz smokes them.... now of course, Pele is in his 40's.... he comes in second despite that and probably beats Gretz in his prime.

But both Leonard and Borg are in their prime, and yet are completely outclassed.

Just goes to show Gretz wasn't as much of a wimp as some suggest.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Most NHL superstars don't fight

From what I can find hulking Mario Lemieux wasn't much of a fighter either 

Lemieux wasn't as prolific with the stickwork.  Gretzky would slash you and then hide behind the teammates instead of answering the bell.

55 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

A little humour here...

A 60 meter dash race between Gretzky, Sugar Ray Leonard, Pele and Bjorn Borg.

Gretz smokes them.... now of course, Pele is in his 40's.... he comes in second despite that and probably beats Gretz in his prime.

But both Leonard and Borg are in their prime, and yet are completely outclassed.

Just goes to show Gretz wasn't as much of a wimp as some suggest.

Running fast doesn't mean much on its own. I say this as an amateur sprinter.

Hell, I bet Justin Bailey is a super fast runner as well, since he's such a fast skater. Is he the next McDavid?

43 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

To be fair, Pele was 42 there.  The others don't really have that excuse.

His age shouldn't be that much of an issue for a short run like this. Some people aren't good runners, but it doesn't mean they aren't athletic.

50 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Especially when you consider soccer players can be explosive as runners. Tennis Players play on a small court. I would bet Gretz would have finished last if it was 2-3KM. 

Boxers, Tennis Players, and Soccer players are known for their endurance. 

Hockey is an interesting sport where you are expected to exert 100% energy in short bursts and take breaks in between.  You have to explode for 45 seconds and then sit for the next 3 minutes.  Tennis and American football are similar in that you exert for even shorter periods with more breaks.  I would expect a wide receiver or even a linebacker to crush Gretzky here.

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Especially when you consider soccer players can be explosive as runners. Tennis Players play on a small court. I would bet Gretz would have finished last if it was 2-3KM. 

Boxers, Tennis Players, and Soccer players are known for their endurance. 

Lol boxers aren't runners though, at least they wouldn't want to be that in the ring; tennis is short dashes too.
They should've had a basketball, baseball and football player race instead of tennis/ boxer.

2 hours ago, Dazzle said:

His age shouldn't be that much of an issue for a short run like this. Some people aren't good runners, but it doesn't mean they aren't athletic.

Father time is undefeated and definitely has an impact on athleticism.   Pele in his prime would have probably put up a better show against Wayne who was 21 at the time of this video. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I see what you're going for, but the video title itself is a misnomer.
If you watch the clip, you'll see this kind of running isn't the same kind of routine as what the OP talks about, or what brought guys like Usain Bolt their success (it's a footwork and conditioning routine that's shown here, but not for straightforward speed -- he works in backpedaling, pivots, punches, side shuffles, etc.).  While I don't doubt that there can be fast-running boxers, this video just shows it's not a primary attribute for athletes in this domain.

28 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

I see what you're going for, but the video title itself is a misnomer.
If you watch the clip, you'll see this kind of running isn't the same kind of routine as what the OP talks about, or what brought guys like Usain Bolt their success (it's a footwork and conditioning routine that's shown here, but not for straightforward speed -- he works in backpedaling, pivots, punches, side shuffles, etc.).  While I don't doubt that there can be fast-running boxers, this video just shows it's not a primary attribute for athletes in this domain.

You still do roadwork for cardio, and endurance. It's not like MMA where it's over in a few minutes. 

14 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Lol boxers aren't runners though

Huh?

You've never heard...'if you cant run, you cant fight'

I was taught wind sprints by a boxer. We used to sprint inbetween every second telephone pole when out on a jog.

https://www.runnerstribe.com/news/professional-boxing-the-importance-of-long-distance-running/

'Boxing and running have been a winning formula for elite-level boxers since the sport’s very beginnings'

• Vintage 1

12 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

You still do roadwork for cardio, and endurance. It's not like MMA where it's over in a few minutes. 

Running is very important for MMA too.

5min rounds.... Some orgs used to do a 10 min first round.

Kick boxing too...My running partner is a ex Muay Thai pro. 

'Bruce Lee called running “the king of exercises.” Bruce Lee regularly ran four miles on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at a sub seven-minute pace, changing tempo and speed throughout.'

Edited by bishopshodan