The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

My Report Card on Management

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

9 hours ago, Viper007 said:

For all you people saying Stillman was a bad trade, Stillman was a throw in.  It was a trade to get rid of cap space in Dickinson, hence why they had to throw in the 2nd round pick.  Stillman was a throw in because Chicago wanted to get rid of a contract.  Teams are capped on contracts that they can carry.

The amount of people who actually think we sent a second for Stillman is baffling.

I hate report cards...always have.

Hard to judge the 'management' when the President who is surrounded by staff that are relatively

inexperienced in their new roles.

I would prefer a clear separation between the President and GM duties (which means having an

experienced GM, who isn't being 'trained' by the president).

However, I still think it's too early to evaluate the management.  I need to see what happens at the

TDL, the draft and the offseason first.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Hard to judge the 'management' when the President who is surrounded by staff that are relatively

I would prefer a clear separation between the President and GM duties (which means having an

However, I still think it's too early to evaluate the management.  I need to see what happens at the

About where I'm at, right now some good moves, Kuzmenko, Mikheyev, Lazar, Aman, Joshua, Studnicka, Bear

Meh move Dumping Dickenson and needing a second to do so, acquiring Stillman, Dermott (Injuries being the main reason for this, he's been good when healthy)

Bad moves, Term for Boeser, Signing Miller over Bo, The correct move would be re-sign Bo, or trade both.

Abysmal, how they handled the Doerrie situation, the treatment of Boudreau, he's not your guy either stfu and fire him, or just fire him and be done with it already.

This off season will make or break my thoughts of this group.

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

That in itself is already grounds for a rating. Why would he surround yourself with people who don't know what they're doing? It's no better hiring your clueless family member in a cushy job. There's too many people who really don't know what they're doing, which has led to a very dysfunctional group.

The hiring of Doerrie, for starters, was a very poor choice right from the beginning, given her extensive internet history and her tendency for 'clout'. She kept making these hot takes, one of which was insinuating Luke Hughes had severe character issues. This was ALL before she was hired. The fact that management couldn't even get this right is damning. Why would you hire someone that talks about team member's family like that?

It seemed like EVERYONE was learning on the job, except JR. So JR should have been advising them to make better decisions. There's been very few good decisions though - the UFA signings are one of them, but the poor assessment of the team, the lack of preparedness, poor public relations, among other things, drowns out any good parts of management.

Edited by Dazzle

I’d say a C- did some good did some not so good

failing to move contracts out last summer and resigning miller

instead of trading high. Garland pearson  shouldn't have started the season here. 

taking Stillman back with the Dickenson move. 
So many crying about not improving the d 

inherit 7.8 mill hughes 7.2 mill OEL 6 mill Myers poolman was a question mark with a potential 2.5 mill hit

Dermot injury didn’t help. 

Adding more bottom pair guys wouldn’t have helped anything when the top guys under perform as much as this group. 

upgrades - in top six with Kuz mik bottom 6 lazar joshua aman studnica.
bear and pederson have fit good. 

Mik has been a huge upgrade over pearson (who should have never been resigned) 

No red hot goaltending to save them for the first time in a decade. 

really the only reason Jb teams weren’t dead last every year he was here was because the goaltenders stole most games. Miller markstrom demko. 

we will see what happens between Now and the deadline they’ve put themselves in a position of weakness on pretty much any trade. 

i didn’t expect  8 terrible years of dim jim Benning to be easy to fix but then again i didn’t defend all of the many stupid things he did. moving out his dud contracts in a cap crunched league is a lasting gift Just like OEL and  not building a decent prospect pool - draft develop. 

this is transition team half Jb shit show half new managements “plan” compounded with an injured starting goaltender. 

people suprised we aren’t doing good. Hahahahahahah. 

Edited by combover

19 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

@*Buzzsaw* Curtis Lazar's contract is $3 million over 3 years, not per year.  $1 million per season.  Very good signing for a player who knows his role and does it well.

Edit: I just noticed you made the exact same mistake with Riley Stillman ($1.35M x 3 yrs).  Why aren't you using CapFriendly before posting?  You don't think Miller is earning $56 million a year, do you?  https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks

You're right... my mistake.  I was looking at the Wiki pages for the players, and it seemed like the CAP was for per year at that amount.

Still think the Riley Stillman signing is a fail... giving up a 2nd rounder is a big loss.

The Lazar contract now makes more sense... but still more pricey than a base level salary.

2 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

You're right... my mistake.  I was looking at the Wiki pages for the players, and it seemed like the CAP was for per year at that amount.

Still think the Riley Stillman signing is a fail... giving up a 2nd rounder is a big loss.

The Lazar contract now makes more sense... but still more pricey than a base level salary.

Huh??  Why are you getting upset over a player earning $1M a year?  A base level salary is $750,000.  Lazar is an excellent defensive centre that adds stability to that fourth line.  He knows what his job is and he does it very well.  He is on one of the most price-effective contracts this team has - a real rarity for us.  That signing deserves a solid A-grade.

I increasingly view the Stillman acquisition as a side piece to the trade.  We didn't pay for Stillman - we paid to get rid of Dickinson.  Still a mistake as he started to regain form at the end of last season and has done good for Chicago.

• Cheers 1