The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Does EP40 want to leave if the Canucks keep losing?

HKSR

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Anyone who thinks we're getting Pettersson for less than probably 10.5M a season is out of their mind 

Dude is gonna absolutely get paid 

I signed him for 9.8mil in NHL 23, and he dropped 90 points the season prior. Give me the phone old man Rutherford. I got this. Go back to your nap or whatever it is you're doing that isn't your job.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

I signed him for 9.8mil in NHL 23, and he dropped 90 points the season prior. Give me the phone old man Rutherford. I got this. Go back to your nap or whatever it is you're doing that isn't your job.

Okay, but did you trade JT Miller 

What sort of compensation do we get if he leaves, something like 3 or 4 firsts? I know it'd suck but I tell ya what if we want to go full rebuild, that's how you kick things off. 

Jokes aside, he isn't going anywhere, retool or rebuild coming up, it'll revolve around Petey's timeline

1 hour ago, Maginator said:

You have to remember there is always the risk of a long-term career implicating injury for players.

If Petey signs, however the contract is insured - he's guaranteed X amount of dollars. If he chooses not to sign this summer he's risking his future career earnings.

IMO his contract will be signed this season, whether it's with us or another team... But I'm 95% sure it'll be with us.

Pettersson has loads of opportunity here. He is THE guy. He'll be given the key to Vancouver this summer, and possibly the captaincy once the new contract kicks in (2024-25). This will be even more evident once Bo is traded.

I've mentioned this in other threads too that a factor no one considers when speculating Pettersson pulls a Tkachuk is that Pettersson is from Sweden. The only 'home' he knows in North America is Vancouver. No other American city is calling him to come home. Unless he just really wants out he will remain a Canuck for life IMO. 

Pay the man his money A$AP.

His last contract was a show me you can build a winner here so far ownership and different coaches and  management have proven they can’t. In fact the opposite is true. 

I think he’s 50/50 staying or leaving  here and what happens in the next few months will be the decider. 

What’s funny two summers ago so many were ready to trade him when he held out now it’s give him the keys to the kingdom ( even if the kingdom is trash).
i put very little stock in the Vancouver Is the only place he knows here he has friends trains in NJ in the off season.

they trade Bo brock kuz he’ll have friends all over the league. Edler la tanev markstrom cal just to name a few. 

He made it clear he wants to win, sounds like horvat doesn’t it…..  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Rutherford already said he ain't about them picks. So it's safe to say the team isn't serious about building for a cup. I don't think he realizes we don't have two generational centers, one of the best goalies of his time, and Letang who was a nutty puck moving do it all D-man. You can't just slot anyone on the wings and call it a day. Lol. But, maybe his target NHL ready youngsters idea is what'll keep Petey here. Since we'll be competitive sooner. But how good we'll be remains to be seen. As much as I roast Rutherford, he hasn't had the cap to build around our core of Petey, Hughes, and Demko. I dunno where Miller and Horvat fit. And he likely won't have that for a year or two. But I mean, he did himself no favours by signing Mikheyev. Love the player, but he wasn't a fit.

We'll see what happens. It's gonna be a long decade if we're in the same spot at the end of it that we are at the end of the Benning era. Which was almost a decade itself. We have done ZERO rebuilding. We barely even retooled very well. Pettersson, Demko and Hughes are all we have to show for Benning's retooling. And again, retooling here isn't the same as retooling in Pittsburgh. I feel like I could have played on Crosby or Malkin's wing and gotten 10-15 goals. At least 3 off my big ass head.

Hard to retool when the only players that want to stay are north of 30 on retirement contracts or middle bottom sixers just happy to be in the league. 

horvat I want to play meaningfull games and win 

Ep I want to win 

Seems like the common theme here and we show no signs of being able to achieve it. nothing about our team right now says winner.  dysfunctional locker room delusional owners lack of direction. Who in their right mind as a superstar wants to waste their prime in that environment.  (Not horvat) 

Benning era was and will be rightfully so remember as a disaster. 
Oj is the worst top 10 pick we’ve ever had 

JV worst top 5 

we couldn’t afford the level of botch Jb provided.
It shows now. 

the next three months will be a big factor for this teams superstars. 

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

What music?

The parts that need to be fixed are obvious, and it doesn’t involve trading Pettersson. He’s the best young center this team has ever had.

I get that fans are impatient from what’s happened in the past, but this is not the time to be impatient. You don’t blow it all up because of a few issues that need to be fixed. That’s a good way of creating another 10 years of going nowhere.

The challenges for this team are big, but they’re not insurmountable. If they try to get stuff done at the deadline and in the offseason and still can’t, then I might lean towards a full rebuild. But right now they need to at least try to build around the core. GMs have built winners starting with less than this management group has been given.

I don't think you are getting what I am saying.

I don't want a scratch earth rebuild by actively trying to ship Pettey out. We can definitely rebuild with Pettey. 

Problem is management is impatient trying to do this woth the proven failed way of trading for "reclamation projects" that rarely work out rather than taking the long term 4 to 5 year direction of drafting and developing out own player that did not already fail once in the nhl. 

What I am getting at is for management to wake up and take the more proven longer term view, Pettey may have to force his way out cause this 'retool' is just gonna spin out wheels for another decade. Only with Pettey out will management and more importantly ownership be forced to try something different. 

2 hours ago, combover said:

Hard to retool when the only players that want to stay are north of 30 on retirement contracts or middle bottom sixers just happy to be in the league. 

Ep I want to win 

Seems like the common theme here and we show no signs of being able to achieve it. nothing about our team right now says winner.  dysfunctional locker room delusional owners lack of direction. Who in their right mind as a superstar wants to waste their prime in that environment.  (Not horvat) 

JV worst top 5 

It shows now. 

OJ wasn't a bad pick at the time. He was well within the draft rankings. Anytime people bring up Sergachev, they fail to acknowledge his defensive lapses, plus he wasn't ranked top 10 by scouts. It was basically Tkachuk and/or Chychurin.

OJ's injuries really messed up his development, not unlike Nolan Patrick. He had a lot of things going right for him at the beginning.

JV, yes, he was drafted way too early. Scout rankings didn't put him top 5, and Button actually ranked him as a 2nd rounder.

The criticism of OJ has always been unfair. Sergachev would NEVER have done well as a Canuck. Imagine the uproar if we reached for Sergachev, had him bust here, and then OJ flourishing elsewhere, ala Heiskanen.

2 hours ago, combover said:

Ep I want to win 

JV worst top 5 

It shows now. 

JV wasn't top 5, OJ had a string of injuries that literally any player can suffer from. But I'll concede the JV pick was a massive miss. But that's hard to gauge. You don't suspect a player going the way he went. It wasn't a lack of talent that done him in. He just didn't have the commitment. Hughes, Petey and Demko are homeruns, Boeser too considering where we selected him. But people keep talking about JV and Juolevi when talking about his drafting. Where he went wrong was trading picks.

9 hours ago, Shekky said:

this same article was posted yesterday and is pure speculation Russo has a feeling that he is wanting out which I have zero belief his feelings are the reality.

is that what articles are now based on? Feelings eh, and not facts. 

20 hours ago, babalu said:

Can we lock this thread or should I start a new thread saying 'Does EP40 want to stay if Canucks start winning'. Can we stop with the sky is falling BS.

but the sky is falling

we should all run for cover

23 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

JV wasn't top 5, OJ had a string of injuries that literally any player can suffer from. But I'll concede the JV pick was a massive miss. But that's hard to gauge. You don't suspect a player going the way he went. It wasn't a lack of talent that done him in. He just didn't have the commitment. Hughes, Petey and Demko are homeruns, Boeser too considering where we selected him. But people keep talking about JV and Juolevi when talking about his drafting. Where he went wrong was trading picks.

that is one way to look at it

or he went wrong because he traded so many drat picks he needed to hit on every one to have a chance at success

and after all those traded draft picks, we have OEL and Miller to show for them

16 hours ago, cripplereh said:

So far EP says he wants to stay.

Things do change but at this time unless hus agent or him himself says different articles like this are just garbage.

never believe what Players, Agents, GMs, or owners say

you're welcome

or doctors apparently

Edited by lmm