The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Does EP40 want to leave if the Canucks keep losing?

HKSR

23 hours ago, Dazzle said:

OJ wasn't a bad pick at the time. He was well within the draft rankings. Anytime people bring up Sergachev, they fail to acknowledge his defensive lapses, plus he wasn't ranked top 10 by scouts. It was basically Tkachuk and/or Chychurin.

OJ's injuries really messed up his development, not unlike Nolan Patrick. He had a lot of things going right for him at the beginning.

JV, yes, he was drafted way too early. Scout rankings didn't put him top 5, and Button actually ranked him as a 2nd rounder.

The criticism of OJ has always been unfair. Sergachev would NEVER have done well as a Canuck. Imagine the uproar if we reached for Sergachev, had him bust here, and then OJ flourishing elsewhere, ala Heiskanen.

I don't buy Sergachev not doing well in Vancouver players that good generally develop fine. If your theory was remotely true Quinn Hughes wouldn't be anywhere near as good as he is.

1 hour ago, lmm said:

that is one way to look at it

or he went wrong because he traded so many drat picks he needed to hit on every one to have a chance at success

and after all those traded draft picks, we have OEL and Miller to show for them

You said what I said with more detail. Trading so many picks did him in. Like I said. Lol. 

• Cheers 1

On 1/17/2023 at 11:35 AM, HKSR said:

https://www.canucksdaily.com/Michael-Russo-believes-the-worst-possible-thing-for-Pettersson-and-his-agent-does-not-deny-it-198347

"Elias loves VAN, he hates losing.  July 1st we can discuss and explore a contract with Vancouver and we will."  -- Pat Brisson (Petey's agent)

There better be a good plan in place if we want to keep our alien.

Of course he'll want to leave. Why wouldn't he? He's just starting to hit his prime now. Why would he want to spend his prime years on a losing team? 

There's a reason he didn't want to sign long-term. Petey's not stupid. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

I don't buy Sergachev not doing well in Vancouver players that good generally develop fine. If your theory was remotely true Quinn Hughes wouldn't be anywhere near as good as he is.

Haha, there is a major difference between Sergachev and Quinn Hughes.

In fact, Hughes' defensive game is being questioned right now. Sergachev would never have succeeded here. He is a pure offensive defenseman.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Of course he'll want to leave. Why wouldn't he? He's just starting to hit his prime now. Why would he want to spend his prime years on a losing team? 

There's a reason he didn't want to sign long-term. Petey's not stupid. 

I mean, I can think of 10 or 11 million reasons.

On 1/17/2023 at 5:36 PM, Dazzle said:

OJ wasn't a bad pick at the time. He was well within the draft rankings. Anytime people bring up Sergachev, they fail to acknowledge his defensive lapses, plus he wasn't ranked top 10 by scouts. It was basically Tkachuk and/or Chychurin.

OJ's injuries really messed up his development, not unlike Nolan Patrick. He had a lot of things going right for him at the beginning.

JV, yes, he was drafted way too early. Scout rankings didn't put him top 5, and Button actually ranked him as a 2nd rounder.

The criticism of OJ has always been unfair. Sergachev would NEVER have done well as a Canuck. Imagine the uproar if we reached for Sergachev, had him bust here, and then OJ flourishing elsewhere, ala Heiskanen.

Injuries have not been the reason that OJ can’t play in the NHL. He looked great in junior because he was on a stacked London Knights team. He has not shown anything that would make him a legit NHL player. In NHL terms, he’s no good. He’s garbage. He was pretty good on that stacked Knights team.  Sometimes great players more than make up for crappy ones. Just ask BJ Mcdonald. 40+ goal man with Gretzky. Absolute garbage with the Canucks. 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, BobbyClarke said:

Injuries have not been the reason that OJ can’t play in the NHL. He looked great in junior because he was on a stacked London Knights team. He has not shown anything that would make him a legit NHL player. In NHL terms, he’s no good. He’s garbage. He was pretty good on that stacked Knights team.  Sometimes great players more than make up for crappy ones. Just ask BJ Mcdonald. 40+ goal man with Gretzky. Absolute garbage with the Canucks. 

It happens despite a million scouts looking… it happens. Remember Griffin Reinhardt… can’t miss d man. Not all make the jump to the pros, just like everyone thought Ronning couldn’t make it because he’s way to small.

• Cheers 1

EP40 is a competitor for sure.  Doubt a guy who wasn't competitive would smash his stick on the crossbar after an empty netter, much less give effort to defend an empty net chance against despite already being down two goals (JT would probably just coast back or yell at OEL for not taking Stamkos effectively).  If he does want to go I wouldn't blame him, since he, Kuzmenko, Horvat, Bear, Schenn, Mikheyev and Hughes are the only bright spots on the team, and everyone can have their patience run out in a losing situation.  What's more, as someone mentioned before, if we do move/ lose Petey 1.0 we'd have a treasure trove of picks/ good players/ prospects coming back; he's a bonafide star (41 games, 52 points already; on pace to smash his previous scoring highs) who's still young and signed to a good contract.  Still, I'd hate to see the day where he wants to leave, seeing how he gave so much already in the couple seasons he's been here.

On 1/17/2023 at 12:57 PM, VegasCanuck said:

That's a click bait site, nothing more. He wants to stay here, all of this is just reporters trying to justify their continuing existence by building clicks to their site.

The original article is from The Athletic

On 1/17/2023 at 2:21 PM, Shekky said:

this same article was posted yesterday and is pure speculation Russo has a feeling that he is wanting out which I have zero belief his feelings are the reality.

I'm betting if they move Horvat and keep Miller, Petey will want out.  JT will never let this be Petey's team

Rumours about Petey wanting to play for a competitive team have been around for 18 months.

Look forward.  With Horvat and Schenn gone.  With zero prospects to speak of ready to slot in.  With Miller running things and management stating they'll be bargain bin shopping like Benning did instead of looking to add true youth via the draft.

What is going to get better?  Can anyone capably argue over the next three years with no Horvat or Schenn that this team is better?  That if Boeser is traded it gets better?  What about Myers?  As much as it hurts to say, who replaces him when he's gone?

Pettersson can look directly at another swede on the team who suffered more than a decade on a losing team where it never got better even after getting paid big $.  Think OEL would advocate staying?  With how he's being treated now in a hockey market think he's happy?  If Tocchet gets hired how will that help things?

IMO I think Pettersson could most certainly be looking elsewhere.  $9.5-$12 million is a range he'd get paid and more than a fair number of teams could capably make room for that between now and his final RFA year

8 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Rumours about Petey wanting to play for a competitive team have been around for 18 months.

Look forward.  With Horvat and Schenn gone.  With zero prospects to speak of ready to slot in.  With Miller running things and management stating they'll be bargain bin shopping like Benning did instead of looking to add true youth via the draft.

What is going to get better?  Can anyone capably argue over the next three years with no Horvat or Schenn that this team is better?  That if Boeser is traded it gets better?  What about Myers?  As much as it hurts to say, who replaces him when he's gone?

Pettersson can look directly at another swede on the team who suffered more than a decade on a losing team where it never got better even after getting paid big $.  Think OEL would advocate staying?  With how he's being treated now in a hockey market think he's happy?  If Tocchet gets hired how will that help things?

IMO I think Pettersson could most certainly be looking elsewhere.  $9.5-$12 million is a range he'd get paid and more than a fair number of teams could capably make room for that between now and his final RFA year

I LOL'ed when i read 'Miller running things...'  

Mean Girls Madness GIF by filmeditor