The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Wednesday January 18 2023 - Vancouver Canucks vs Tampa Bay Lightning - 7pm PT/10pm ET - Vancouver

Rate this topic

OldFaithfulCap

1 hour ago, CanuckleHorse said:

Would love to see these lines tried once: Studnicka Pettersson Kuzmenko 

Garland Horvat Boeser

Mikheyev Miller Lockwood        
                                                                  Joshua Pederson Lazar

Stillman is the key to loss/tank.

4 hours ago, OldFaithfulCap said:

image.png.93193a4217803d1b774e2bb2cb9160af.png

Media

TV: Sportsnet Pacific

Radio: Sportsnet 650

Overview

It's been a long few days since the puck dropped on Sunday. Canucks Legend Gino Odjick passed away at 52 and the older Canucks faithful are reminiscing about his will to win, his dedication to his teammates at to the fans. Newer fans have seen amazing highlights of his fights and his fighting spirit by trying to connect the Canucks with the First Nations peoples of Vancouver. As the next game against Tampa approaches, flags in Vancouver are flying at half staff and the Canucks have added his number 29 to their helmets. 29 to reflect a warrior.

While the Gino news was breaking Vancouver managed to pick up a shootout win against Carolina on Sunday afternoon. It was their first win on their previously 0-4 Southwest swing and it didn't penalize the race to the bottom too much with Montreal winning and the Sharks picking up a loser point.

On Monday Rutherford held a press conference to discuss Pearson's hand but ended up giving a state of the franchise. His responses regarding tanking, needing major surgery and not really seeing Horvat as worth a future investment were the type of bulletin board material that a team makes up about its own opponents. Rutherford said the players have a job to do, to come to work every game and try and win that game and if they don't then in the second half of the season then management can make different decisions.

This really does seem like it for this season. The Canucks of 2022-23 can now continue on their current path - hovering around .500, giving up leads, not committing to back-checking and not doing their job on defence. They have had their President apologize on their behalf and they can repeat aimless words in press conferences and muddle along and wait for players to be moved. There's no shame in losing to a Tampa team who shut down a surging Seattle on the road and in giving up a 500th goal to a multiple cup winner in Stamkos. It can just be another record set in another season of disappointment for a team that has never had ultimate success.

Or maybe we're somehow in the 1 in the 14 million universes where things change starting with this game. Maybe the Canucks see 29 as a true inspiration to fight. 29, pretty much the exact huge number mountain of wins needed from the remaining 39 games to make the playoffs. Such ideas are pure insanity to contemplate and more likely they'd have a hot streak and then play their way out of the bedard bowl and go nowhere. Only a pure optimist could hope for this and it would take a miracle of a thousand right actions to make it so.

Ex-NHL Enforcer, 1996-97 Penalty Minute Leader Gino Odjick, Dead At 52

Stats

image.png.cf70ca598663f237e062078763328b84.png

image.png.b80bec32a06ae4217201578b738e22cd.png

Lineups (TBC)

Canucks

image.png.a1352950a955ad1f4525ff7f4d3172e8.png

Lightning (last game)

2023-23 Games

Canucks @ Tampa Bay, Lightning wins 5-4

How is pervy ian cole still in the nhl

14 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Noticing Oldfaithful is posting GDTs earlier and earlier

I expect that we should start seeing the GDTs for the beginning of next season by around mid-summer.

What is his end game? What is he thinking? What is he feeling?

Can we switch him over from GDT's to trades and alternate -Vintange- to GDT's til after the trade deadline? 

I'd like to see trade news earlier and earlier if at all possible 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Noticing Oldfaithful is posting GDTs earlier and earlier

I expect that we should start seeing the GDTs for the beginning of next season by around mid-summer.

What is his end game? What is he thinking? What is he feeling?

I'm just glad someone's stepping up and doing them. We have a couple people who chip in and get them done....I don't care when they do them. It just makes it better when someone does.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Neutral said:

Any talk of having some kind of Gino Odjick patch on the jersey or something on the helmet!? I hope the Canucks do something to recognize Odjick and his sad recent passing...Sure could use an Odjick on our team now! Maybe not as the enforcer who fights everyone and anyone but a guy who will stand up for his teammates if someone gets a cheap shot or is hit in a diry way! Unlike how the Canucks have operated for over 10 years by not retaliating especially in a Cup final like the Sedins in 2011...but I digress! 

Sounds like #29 Sticker on helmets is definitely getting done. It would be nice to see a patch on jerseys as well. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Winning streaks feel so good, and so does beating a Stanley cup contender. So I hope we win another one for Bruce and Gino. 

But I’ve accepted that losses are useful too so either way I’m good! It’s a pretty great system actually, Canucks games never get me down!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2