The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Provorov declines pre-game pride night skate

Rate this topic

Slegr

7 minutes ago, Gurn said:

I've said before, and will again- that part should be changed to 'We keep our land".

Not big on leaving it to an imaginary being to do the work.

Time for Canadians to take that responsibility for them selves.

As a believer in God I would have no problem with that, just as a man I had no issues with them changing "in all thy son's command" to "in all of us command". 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gurn said:

I've said before, and will again- that part should be changed to 'We keep our land".

Or just change our anthem. I never liked ours.

Edited by rekker

3 minutes ago, Quint said:

I’d be all for stopping the singing of anthems before the game. Pointless, boring, strange custom that serves no purpose I can see. 

The purpose is indoctrination. You see it when people mindlessly bleat 'thank you for your service' as naturally as they say hello.

• Like 1

On 1/18/2023 at 12:35 PM, Strawbone said:

I agree it sometimes feels like a bit of a hollow token gesture, but over time I think these things really do start to sink in to the collective consciousness of our society and, very slowly, being indigenous (or gay, black, whatever) becomes more and more normalized as it should be.

That's basically where I'm at on that subject. Happy to societally "normalize" and bring awareness to it...but it does seem a rather empty gesture.

Baroness Von Sketch nailed it IMO.

2 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

What percentage of the world is not religious?

According to the CIA World Factbook, non-religious people make up 9.66%, while one fifth of them are atheists.

84 percent of the world population has faith; a third are Christian

“Worldwide, more than eight-in-ten people identify with a religious group,” says a new comprehensive demographic study of more than 230 countries and territories conducted by the Pew Research Center’s Forum on Religion & Public Life.

“There are 5.8 billion religiously affiliated adults and children around the globe, representing 84 percent of the 2010 world population of 6.9 billion,” the analysis states.

Here’s the breakdown of “The Global Religious Landscape,” based on an analysis of more than 2,500 censuses, surveys and population registers:

• 2.2 billion Christians (32 percent of the world’s population).
• 1.6 billion Muslims (23 percent).
• 1 billion Hindus (15 percent.
• 500 million Buddhists (7 percent).
• 400 million people (6 percent) practicing various folk or traditional religions, including African traditional religions, Chinese folk religions, American Indian religions and Australian aboriginal religions.

There are 14 million Jews, and an estimated 58 million people — slightly less than 1 percent of the global population – belong to other religions, including the Baha’i faith, Jainism, Sikhism, Shintoism, Taoism, Tenrikyo, Wicca and Zoroastrianism, “to mention just a few,” the study says.

About half of all Christians in the world are Catholic, 37 percent are part of the Protestant tradition, 12 percent are Orthodox Greek or Russian.

The numbers do tend to vary based on whatever source is used but it's usually in this ballpark. Might seem hard to believe because in Canada the number is only 65% but most of the world quite religious.

On a positive note, religion in Canada is steadily decreasing over time :) 

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/daily-quotidien/221026/dq221026b-eng.htm

More than one in three Canadians reported having no religious affiliation

Approximately 12.6 million people, or more than one-third of Canada's population, reported having no religious affiliation or having a secular perspective (atheist, agnostic, humanist and other secular perspectives). The proportion of this population has more than doubled in 20 years, rising from 16.5% in 2001 to 23.9% in 2011 and to 34.6% in 2021.

Immigration alone cannot account for this increase, since 21.5% of immigrants admitted from 2011 to 2021 had no religious affiliation. This proportion is lower than the proportion of the population with no religious affiliation posted in 2011 (23.9%) and 2021 (34.6%). Part of the growth is due to the number of children under 10 who were born in Canada and have no religious affiliation. The number of children under 10 rose by 597,000 (+55.3%) from 2011 to 2021. The main reason for the growth in the population with no religious affiliation is likely related to the fact that many people who reported a religious affiliation in the past now report no religious affiliation. The decline in religious affiliation is consistent with other findings that fewer people reported the importance of religious or spiritual beliefs in their lives, down from 71.0% in 2003 to 54.1% in 2019.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

That's basically where I'm at on that subject. Happy to societally "normalize" and bring awareness to it...but it does seem a rather empty gesture.

Baroness Von Sketch nailed it IMO.

On a positive note, religion in Canada is steadily decreasing over time :) 

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/daily-quotidien/221026/dq221026b-eng.htm

And as far as I can tell, most "religious" people are not at all hardcore followers of the faith. They enjoy the social aspects of going to church, and the general moral guidance that religion can provide, and the idea that if they live a good life they will go to heaven to be reunited with other loved ones who have passed. But they also believe in science, that the earth is not 6000 years old, that humans evolved like all other animals, and that most of the miracles in the bible really could not have happened. And at least the religious people I know personally are also not homophobic, at least openly. I'd say these types of religious people barely qualify as being truly religious, as it doesn't prevent them from rational thought about most subjects. Hardcore religious people are the ones who have strict beliefs, based on blind faith that their book is the word of God, and these beliefs often conflict with the generally accepted best secular morals that society has adopted. These secular morals evolve over time and continually improve, and are not reliant on old books of faith. We almost all accept that killing or hurting someone is bad, and it's because we are human beings with empathy for our fellow humans, not because of religion. Same with theft, adultery, lying, verbal abuse, and discrimination. Those things make most people feel innately bad, and there's no need to rely on a very old, often outdated guidebook that prevents you from thinking rationally about things. I'd argue that hard-core religious beliefs actually enable and even encourage otherwise decent people to act badly.

4 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

And as far as I can tell, most "religious" people are not at all hardcore followers of the faith. They enjoy the social aspects of going to church, and the general moral guidance that religion can provide, and the idea that if they live a good life they will go to heaven to be reunited with other loved ones who have passed. But they also believe in science, that the earth is not 6000 years old, that humans evolved like all other animals, and that most of the miracles in the bible really could not have happened. And at least the religious people I know personally are also not homophobic, at least openly. I'd say these types of religious people barely qualify as being truly religious, as it doesn't prevent them from rational thought about most subjects. Hardcore religious people are the ones who have strict beliefs, based on blind faith that their book is the word of God, and these beliefs often conflict with the generally accepted best secular morals that society has adopted. These secular morals evolve over time and continually improve, and are not reliant on old books of faith. We almost all accept that killing or hurting someone is bad, and it's because we are human beings with empathy for our fellow humans, not because of religion. Same with theft, adultery, lying, verbal abuse, and discrimination. Those things make most people feel innately bad, and there's no need to rely on a very old, often outdated guidebook that prevents you from thinking rationally about things. I'd argue that hard-core religious beliefs actually enable and even encourage otherwise decent people to act badly.

I actually think you have this backwards :lol: The first group of religious, but science believing and empathetic humas are probably closer to the original religion's actual teachings. The latter group....well let's just say they're a bit... misguided and over enthusiastic... :lol:

2 hours ago, Gurn said:

“In all of us command” 

That’s ‘true Patriot love’. 

Being a patriot means defending ’us’. 

Defending means with bullets and guns and it means defending all of ‘us’ with tolerance. 

We defend ‘our’ right to be ourselves, gender, age, and sexual orientation. 

Sexual orientation just means loving who you want to. I love women. Others love men. Other women love women(my favourite), and other men love men. 

It’s just how ‘we’ are as a country. We love who we love. We want people to be free to love who the kind of people that people want to be with. 

Not supporting that is an affront to ‘us’ having a collective agreement as a society to be a loving society. 

Either we are a loving society or we’re a hateful society, by our actions or inactions. 

Immigrants need to know and respect the society they choose to be a part of. 

Orherwise, STFU or GTFO. 

2 hours ago, Gurn said:

I usually just change it to "please" when I'm singing. Seems solidly, politely Canadian.

"Please keep our land"

• Vintage 1

Coquitlam Express to host its first Pride Night. Can it be a catalyst to change hockey culture?

Express general manager Tali Campbell says events at the city’s public library last Saturday (Jan. 14), when protesters tried to disrupt a drag queen story time, bolster his belief that the time is right to show hockey can create a welcoming and inclusive environment for all players and spectators.

——

But, Campbell said, bringing Pride to the rink is very much about changing hockey and its entrenched "old boys" culture that values machismo and rewards aggression.

"It's hard, tough and you can't have feelings, until we have voices changing it," he said

—-

"We're decades behind in this sport," he said. "It's a big mountain to climb but someone has to start."

—-

Changing that culture requires a strict adherence to consequences, whether a player who’s stepped over the line is a bench warmer or star scorer.

"Everyone is going to be treated the same," Campbell said.

Similarly for spectators.

——

"We have a duty as a community organization to be that voice for change."

"We have to bulldoze those boundaries," he said. "This will be another step to make players feel comfortable, feel they can come out and talk about it."

https://www.tricitynews.com/local-sports/coquitlam-express-to-host-its-first-pride-night-can-it-be-a-catalyst-to-change-hockey-culture-6393505

This is how you do it. 

Also, on 650 he said, “if you don’t like it, don’t come. “

It’s time to change hockey culture and our culture in general. Hockey is about toughness, fairness, accountability, and respect and excellence. 

We need to be that too. 

Staying away from inclusivity isn’t the ‘hockey way’. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Can players that dont support sweat shops refuse to wear the Adidas jerseys?

Can we not do better in both things? 

Does one issue make the other issue less important? 

Thank you for your whataboutism.