The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Provorov declines pre-game pride night skate

Rate this topic

Slegr

YUP im about to ask this thread to be taken down...

You are calling this man and punishing him for crimes of hatred he has not been proven of.... you are asking him to disparage his beliefs without thought of his own and very possible banishment of his family and friends. their is no law being broken by choosing not to participate in pride events.

Honestly some of the words coming out of your mouths are really nasty and IMO hateful, and illegal. many of you so called defenders are the actual bigots

3 minutes ago, Bad_BOI_pete said:

YUP im about to ask this thread to be taken down...

You are calling this man and punishing him for crimes of hatred he has not been proven of.... you are asking him to disparage his beliefs without thought of his own and very possible banishment of his family and friends. their is no law being broken by choosing not to participate in pride events.

Honestly some of the words coming out of your mouths are really nasty and IMO hateful, and illegal. many of you so called defenders are the actual bigots

You're going to ask that a thread is taken down, that is a criticism of someone taking advantage of free speech, because people are flexing their ability to engage in free speech.

Yup, that makes total sense.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

You are ignoring things (the witch hunt, people getting cancelled in the name of tolerance, equality) while assuming things (Provorov would not do anything if he saw a gay person being attacked).  

What witch hunt? Are people waiting outside Wells Fargo arena with torches and pitchforks? Again, laughable hyperbole.

People are expressing their thoughts on his unacceptable, bigoted behavior. Poor Provorov.

And no, I'm not assuming anything, I'm drawing a parallel. That's the statement his actions made, whether some if you would prefer to ignore and/or deflect it or not.

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

This is where I know ppl are completely out to lunch. 

How do you know that Povorov wouldn't do anything if he saw a gay person being attacked? 

These assumptions are terrible

I can 100 percent say that despite my religion, if I saw ANYBODY get attacked whether it be for their sexual orientation, race, religion, i would 100 percent do something. 

As Christians, we are called to love one another. That call for love trumps everything after our love for God

I didn't say that's what he would do, I said his actions are the equivalent of. Reading comprehension it's your friend.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

What witch hunt? Are people waiting outside Wells Fargo arena with torches and pitchforks? Again, laughable hyperbole.

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/contributors/2023/01/19/nhl-is-offside-for-not-benching-provorov-who-skipped-pride-night-warm-ups.html 

https://www.nationalreview.com/2023/01/the-anti-bigots-suggest-ivan-provorov-go-die-in-ukraine/ 

People are expressing their thoughts on his unacceptable, bigoted behavior. Poor Provorov.

And no, I'm not assuming anything, I'm drawing a parallel. That's the statement his actions made, whether some if you would prefer to ignore and/or deflect it or not.

You're not drawing a parallel, you're assuming.  

If someone doesn't donate money to PETA, are we assuming that they go home and kick their neighbour's dog?  

14 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Lol memes and pictures usually come out when there is no rebuttal. 

I said that's what we're called to do. 

Not easy to love one another all the time though 

But that's what we're called to do... 

no, that's about all it deserved

I didn't say that's what he would do, I said his actions are the equivalent of. Reading comprehension it's your friend.

Ummm but his actions are not equivalent of doing nothing while a gay person is being attacked. 

You compared his actions to something fictional that didn't happen but made it sound like fact

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

like this?

Scenes from Charlottesville's violent 'Unite the Right' rally

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

those are defintely........words

yup.... you continue to just mock when i prove my point...

you have superiority syndrome you think your beliefs are more righteous than others.

do you mock and humiliate your students in public when they dont behave up to school expectations? im guessing not...

but provorov? why he is a white straight religious person.... he deserves shame and punishment, because of other peoples crimes.

under your reasoning, I suppose i should be locked up humiliated and punished. because their is a history of severely mentally ill people to commit more crime than "normies"

But hey why stop there? why not create the perfect society?

Just now, stawns said:

no, that's about all it deserved

Are you being tolerant of other people's religion? 

I basically said the 2 most important things a Christian should live by. 

To love God and to love others. 

You then threw up a meme of someone puking and said that's all it deserved. 

Tell me who is being intolerant

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Bad_BOI_pete said:

i think this isnt fair..... i know you dont mean any harm. but let me tell you its not an advantage to be a minority. I have seen first hand the violence and discrimination with some of my friends.

I myself am a minority because i suffer from severe mental illness, i'm constantly discriminated against, people that have barely just met me called me a murderer..... I have been refused EI assistance because of my illness, but also not given medical assistance either..... if i feel unwell and seek help many doctors wont provide unless you sign your rights under their authority for a minimum of thirty days... im forced to take medications that causes weight gain, bad breath and foggy memories, my senses are dulled but im less likely to show irregular emotions or any emotions. my life expectancy is 62. I don't want to be on medications, but i have too or the govenment will stop supporting me during my flare ups where despite my meds i act irregular and get fired. Yes you can legally and easily fire someone with mental illness without repercussions, as we will soon see in the video analysis coach.

Ok then, let's try to look at this through your lens. Suppose the Canucks had a Support Mental Illness night and all the players were going to wear a jersey supporting the cause. Now suppose a player refused to wear the jersey and go out for the warm up, claiming it's against his religion. How supported by that player would you feel? Because now you might understand how the LBGTQ community (and supporters) feel about Provorov

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bad_BOI_pete said:

yup.... you continue to just mock when i prove my point...

you have superiority syndrome you think your beliefs are more righteous than others.

do you mock and humiliate your students in public when they dont behave up to school expectations? im guessing not...

but provorov? why he is a white straight religious person.... he deserves shame and punishment, because of other peoples crimes.

under your reasoning, I suppose i should be locked up humiliated and punished. because their is a history of severely mentally ill people to commit more crime than "normies"

But hey why stop there? why not create the perfect society?

he said he wasn't support it because it was against his religion.  What is "it" and what do you presume that statement to mean?

Because to me, it means his God doesn't like homos.  You good with that?

2 minutes ago, StrayDog said:

Ok then, let's try to look at this through your lens. Suppose the Canucks had a Support Mental Illness night and all the players were going to wear a jersey supporting the cause. Now suppose a player refused to wear the jersey and go out for the warm up, claiming it's against his religion. How supported by that player would you feel? Because now you might understand how the LBGTQ community (and supporters) feel about Provorov

I Like It Good Job GIF

8 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Are you being tolerant of other people's religion? 

I basically said the 2 most important things a Christian should live by. 

To love God and to love others. 

You then threw up a meme of someone puking and said that's all it deserved. 

Tell me who is being intolerant

that's what the bible preaches, it's not what christians practice.  Sorry if that's tough to hear

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

LOL..... no i didnt.... ahahah, no you......... some of your arguments are pathetic.

you think you can say what you want without repercussions?

1 minute ago, stawns said:

like this?

Scenes from Charlottesville's violent 'Unite the Right' rally

I don’t want to be accused of stooping to hyperbole and call that a witch hunt but the torches are a little on the nose. :lol:

With regards to religion:

But midway through the decade, backlashes also started to sprout. Some targeted transgender people’s rights. Many took the form of religious exemption laws that let people, churches and sometimes businesses cite religious beliefs as a reason not to enforce a law, such as declining to marry a same-sex couple or letting state-funded foster agencies refuse to place kids with LGBTQ parents.

In 2010, only one state had a religious exemption law. Now 13 states have those laws.  “But it was a strategic move on (opponents’) part. Yes, you can go get married, but when you show up to get that license, we can say no – you have to go somewhere else.”

And more harmful bills are percolating. In 2020, MAP’s database shows at least 121 anti-LGBTQ pieces of legislation in the mix in various states. 

• Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/contributors/2023/01/19/nhl-is-offside-for-not-benching-provorov-who-skipped-pride-night-warm-ups.html 

https://www.nationalreview.com/2023/01/the-anti-bigots-suggest-ivan-provorov-go-die-in-ukraine/ 

If someone doesn't donate money to PETA, are we assuming that they go home and kick their neighbour's dog?  

16 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Did you actually read the articles? :lol:

The first one is bang on. Oh no, somebody called the NHL "offside" for not doing more about Provorov's bigoted actions! :lol: What a "witch hunt"! :lol: Poor Provorov! :lol:

The second one made far bigger assumptions than you're accusing me of :lol:

Hyperbole.

Yes I was. I literally used the word equivalent in the statement. It's exactly what I did.

If the team has a Holocaust support night where the team was wearing the star of David jerseys at warm-up, and he actively, publicly made a point of coming out to media to say he wouldn't wear one... What do you think that says?

• Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

that's what the bible preaches, it's not what christians practice.  Sorry if that's tough to hear

No it's definitely true. Humans are definitely fallable for sure. 

But what I'm saying is that that's what we are called to do. Unfortunately it doesn't always happen. 

Although I think how you responded was highly disrespectful towards the beliefs of the Christianity.

Just because humans fall short of the ideals of the religion doesn't deserve the religion being mocked.