The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Provorov declines pre-game pride night skate

Rate this topic

Slegr

22 minutes ago, stawns said:

again, what do you think "freedom of religion" protects you from?

im not arguing about freedom of religion in what it protects the member of the religion.... im talking about how freedom of religion is preotected in that you shall not be discriminated for following your religion..... You are openly discriminating against every Christian.... some would say this is illegal. if you really pressed the matter you may just find yourself behind bars

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Bad_BOI_pete said:

what is wrong with Jordan Peterson now? you cant stand to believe facts? JP doesn't believe there is a man in the sky but he is very religious

What facts? You casually name dropped a guy who was banned from twitter under the sites "hateful conduct policy".

It makes a ton of sense. You spent your entire evening defending someone who refused to support human rights, casually name drop someone currently being investigated to lose his psychologist licenses, all while claiming to have an IQ in the top .4% of the population whilst claiming people are breaking the law on a hockey forum.

Edited by Shayster007
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Bad_BOI_pete said:

im not arguing about freedom of religion in what it protects the member of the religion.... im talking about how freedom of religion is preotected in that you shall not be discriminated for following your religion..... You are openly discriminating against every Christian.... some would say this is illegal. if you really pressed the matter you may just find yourself behind bars

some might.......some who have zero understanding of the Criminal Code of Canada

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Shayster007 said:

What facts? You casually name dropped a guy who was banned from twitter under the sites "hateful conduct policy".

It makes a ton of sense. You spent your entire evening defending someone who refused to support human rights, casually name drop someone currently being investigated to lose his psychologist licenses, all while claiming to have an IQ in the top .4% of the population.

hey man, us geniuses stick together. i do not support everything he does, but i do support his view on how god is interpreted.

i would openly share my views i stand beside him on another thread.

anyways cool stuff.... piling me in with everything negative towards him... i already openly told you I support LGBTQ+ marriage and rights....

I do not define people on their views and lump them in as good or bad people.

I play chess... accumulate stats and try to find trends for fun. In chess i also rank in the 99th percentile in rank. A few other strategic games I have been ranked very high.. MTG i ranked second overall one season... I was top 1000 in the world in starcraft... when I was 16 i was taking college courses for networking, but i got banned because i hacked the windows server so i could unlock the games that our teacher had locked away on the server.... i'm a very clever boy... it comes in hand with my mental illness though, so its not all roses and sunshine.

So anyway...

Back to Provorov. His actions were condoning of bigotry and intolerance. He's free to do so (within the bounds of the law). The rest of us are free to point out his support of bigotry and intolerance as unacceptable.

Yay freedoms.

Nothing to do with his religion or culture (or anyone's IQ, or that they have a gay friend, or imagined, hyperbolic "witch hunts").

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

So anyway...

Back to Provorov. His actions were condoning of bigotry and intolerance. He's free to do so (within the bounds of the law). The rest of us are free to point out his support of bigotry and intolerance as unacceptable.

Yay freedoms.

Nothing to do with his religion or culture (or anyone's IQ, or that they have a gay friend, or imagined, hyperbolic "witch hunts").

what bigotry and intolerance do you speak of?

• Wat 1

2 minutes ago, Bad_BOI_pete said:

what bigotry and intolerance do you speak of?

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

So anyway...

Yay freedoms.

who is us...... the vast majority of the world?

Just now, aGENT said:

Using his status as an NHL player to actively, purposefully and publically withdraw support of equality and inclusivity towards LGBTQ+ people.

i guess you could look at it that way..... but you also have to figure this man may also be placed between a rock and a hard place in this situation.... openly denouncing his faith would also cause backlash... he tried to explain that he respects people choices but cannot support the movement because of his religious views.... 

he does not further explain the situation..... many of us understand that purposely not wearing a symbol of support could mean he is a vile evil man that wants to persecute and punish anyone that supports the pride movement, other more realistic people understand that he simply does not want to rock the boat.

You should take people for their words and not just persecute on made up beliefs that you conjured in your head

3 hours ago, Toews said:

I am sorry that your life is made challenging by our society. I know I used some strong language in my reply to your post, please accept that I am not trying to attack you personally but I just disagree with your thoughts on this subject. Hopefully its not too painful for you to continue to share your thoughts on the struggles that you face so the users on this forum are aware of the challenges that are faced by people with people with mental illness. 

It's despicable to see stawns laugh react to this post, given that it's about someone's challenges.

Sadly there's too many people like him that only show empathy for those they agree with. Would be much better if more people took a similar position to yours.

I have no problem with Provorov's declining to be part of the Pride Night skate, because of his religious beliefs.

But, I don't see how he fits in the culture in Vancouver. Our annual Pride Parade draws hundreds of people every year. We have many gay, lesbian, transgender, and nonbinary people here. We have universal washrooms and change rooms. Straight people go to gay bars. 
So, he has every right to exercise his beliefs, but I would hope that we took him off our potential trade targets. 

11 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

It's despicable to see stawns laugh react to this post, given that it's about someone's challenges.

Sadly there's too many people like him that only show empathy for those they agree with. Would be much better if more people took a similar position to yours.

I wouldnt waste your time on it... Hate breeds hate. If he thinks he is funny by bullying people less fortunate than others, there is not much we can do for this person... frankly he is likely a lost cause. if he hates on people with mental illness and religious christians what else does that say about him???? frankly i dont care to find out..

• Huggy Bear 2