The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Provorov declines pre-game pride night skate

Rate this topic

Slegr

2 hours ago, Kaös said:

KEEP POLITICS OUT OF SPORTS AND OFF HERE PLZ. 

We need sports to be the last remaining outlet in this world that people can use to get away from the hyper-politicized and extremely divisive world we live in these days. It's important for everyone's sanity.

Edited by Bissurnette
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

People learn through repetition. It’s also easy to skip. 

They do, and the ceremony shouldn't be an ongoing part of a sporting event. We will never agree on this so let's move on.

Edited by rekker

5 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Good grief.

He didn't participate.  So what.   

Too many people offended when something doesn't align with their beliefs.

Heck, my daughter is gay and won't participate in "Pride" events because "they themselves are hypocrites - they are NOT inclusive".

Now, if Provorov skated with a nazi swastika on his uniform - then you have a case to slam him.

Otherwise, stop being a hypocritical keyboard warrior inflicting your hate on someone for no real reason. 

Hope he doesn’t feel discriminated against. 

‘Do unto others…’, Provorov. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

49 minutes ago, Bissurnette said:

We need sports to be the last remaining outlet in this world that people can use to get away from the hyper-politicized and extremely divisive world we live in these days. It's important for everyone's sanity.

But when a player bring politics to sport, they get crucified?

How times have changed.

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

Almost every company i have worked for have various themed nights celebrating or supporting certain movements. these events have always been optional, and for good cause too. forcing employees inclusion in movements/beliefs/events is probably grounds for lawsuits, unless outlined in the contract for employment.

i respect people that want to support pride movements and i respect people that follow religious beliefs. however, i do not respect your opinion that this man should be shamed and condemned for his. To condemn the man for his religious beliefs is silly. if his friends and family are also Russian Orthodox Christian, this may put him in a awkward position with them. He also basically said he respects everyone choice's, and others should respect his choice to be true to his religious beliefs.

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

I’ve been posting in this thread a bunch, like I’m some kind of activist or something lol. I’m not! As I’ve gotten older I’ve just developed increasing empathy for how difficult it is to be human, and how truly everyone deserves respect.

Life is hard, even for an older straight middle class white dude like myself. I’ve honestly very rarely experienced any significant discrimination or hatred, but the few times I have, it felt awful. Really awful. I can’t imagine how it impacts people who experience it every day. 

And it’s possible to change. When I was a teenager I used slurs like gay, fag, retard, and wagon-burner and me and my friends laughed it off. Nobody gave it a second thought. Through very public initiatives like including minorities and gay people in TV shows and movies, on talk shows, in music, in advertising, at sporting events, and now on social media, it really does make a difference in making them a normal part of society. 

It does sometimes feel like we’re being bombarded and over-saturated with social awareness issues like this, but it’s only because it takes a large and concerted effort to correct course from hundreds of years of discrimination, and once we’re more on the right path, these things will fade in to the background.

An example is women’s rights. We’ve come so far in the general recognition that women have all the same rights and opportunities as men that it’s no longer something that we see a large public struggle to recognize, but a long struggle it was. Women are now successful in all walks of life that weren’t easily accessible to them even 50 years ago, and that’s awesome. It’s better for everyone. 

Accepting people of any race and sexual orientation as completely normal needs to happen sooner rather than later, and that can only happen through public discourse. Sporting events included. 

75% of the world population is religious. I don't think we should be saying prayers in opening ceremonies, and for respect of their beliefs we should also not be supporting pride movements in opening ceremonies.

• Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1