The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Provorov declines pre-game pride night skate

Rate this topic

Slegr

37 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Sexuality is very much a choice.

There is no such thing as a straight or gay gene. Sexuality is fluid. There are many instances of people being straight and then suddenly developing attraction to the same sex and vice versa.

To say you are born gay or straight is incorrect.

Now, if we’re talking about choosing to be straight to avoid being attacked or to fit in then that’s different and I agree its wrong to not be able to express your true sexuality and often times those aren’t really even choices.

I can agree on an individual should be free to make their choice. Can't agree on the rest.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Did you seriously just try to quote a website that litterally says biblical answer to questions as your evidence? That's legitimately hilarious.

Also your first website actually points towards me being right, not you. Shame you didn't actually read it.

:picard:

Wait, so you literally just used the same sources as the biblical site to prove your claim, and you are ridiculing me for using it

Like I said, there isn’t conclusive evidence. There’s studies and research showing there’s some evidence that there are possible genes that play a role, but as of today, there’s nothing out there as far as I can see that suggests it’s definitively, 100% biological. 

15 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Should also read number 3, since it's conclusion also says people are born that way. Did you really just read the headline and not even bother to scroll down just a couple swipes to read it? Come on now..

These articles are to question the validity of whether sexuality is 100% biological. You cherry picking parts to further boast your claim while trying to make me look bad is not going to change that.

I am arguing, strictly, whether sexuality is biological or not. I am not arguing whether or not it’s a choice based off of societal implications, but strictly, to the very person, if sexuality has a genetic component, environmental component, or both. 

3 minutes ago, Odd. said:

:picard:

Wait, so you literally just used the same sources as the biblical site to prove your claim, and you are ridiculing me for using it

Like I said, there isn’t conclusive evidence. There’s studies and research showing there’s some evidence that there are possible genes that play a role, but as of today, there’s nothing out there as far as I can see that suggests it’s definitively, 100% biological. 

I did what? I used the actually scientific article. You used God's word saying "nu uh that's not real"

I find it hilarious that you said you were open minded if I can provide evidence, then why I provided some you dug your head in the sand. Did you try to read the articles? Did you even click on them? 

Just now, Odd. said:

These articles are to question the validity of whether sexuality is 100% biological. You cherry picking parts to further boast your claim while trying to make me look bad is not going to change that.

I am arguing, strictly, whether sexuality is biological or not. I am not arguing whether or not it’s a choice based off of societal implications, but strictly, to the very person, if sexuality has a genetic component, environmental component, or both. 

I don't need to try, you did that yourself.

9 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

I did what? I used the actually scientific article. You used God's word saying "nu uh that's not real"

I find it hilarious that you said you were open minded if I can provide evidence, then why I provided some you dug your head in the sand. Did you try to read the articles? Did you even click on them? 

I am open minded, and I love being proven wrong all the time.

However, you and countless others on here love to shame and belittle others for sharing an argument that is of the contrary. 

And at no point did I use religion into this. I am not religious at all. Again, trying to paint the narrative that I’m coming at this with a religious perspective to try and strengthen your argument, like dude :picard:

Edited by Odd.

10 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I am open minded, and I love being proven wrong all the time.

However, you and countless others on here love to shame and belittle others for sharing an argument that is of the contrary. 

If you say so. You said you were open minded, and I provided some of the few studies that actually used the scientific method for results. I have no idea if you looked those studies up or not, but they all lead to the conclusion that it's likely that there is a biological factor.

That, paired with the litteral countless people who say they were born that way. The parents to watch their child at a young age show signs before they are even aware of what sexuality is. But that's all subjective, so I provided objective science that shows that's it's likely but hasn't proven yet. 

For argument sake, I tried to find a scientific journal that made the opposite claim. The best I could come up with is a few that say we simply don't know.

So studies say there is genetic factor, some studies say we don't know, and the majority of peoples anecdotal experience says there's a genetic factor. 

I brought religion into it because the only link you posted that actually supported your point was a biblical propaganda page. Don't post religious articles as your source unless you want your opinion held to that standard.

But hey, you do you. You don't have to change your mind, you were born that way.

Edited by Shayster007
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

There is no such thing as a straight or gay gene. Sexuality is fluid. There are many instances of people being straight and then suddenly developing attraction to the same sex and vice versa.

Now, if we’re talking about choosing to be straight to avoid being attacked or to fit in then that’s different and I agree its wrong to not be able to express your true sexuality and often times those aren’t really even choices.

image.gif.e4e06c662d4228663936816a7ac487bb.gif

41 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

General rule I go by, love and be nice to EVERYONE! If they don't love and be nice back to you, then cut their brake line and go have a beer! ;)

The Satanic Golden Rule:

"Do unto others, as they do to you".

• Like 1

6 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

I'd just prefer people be upfront about it so I know what and whom I'm dealing with. For example, if I go for a job interview and have zero chance based purely on race and my resume goes through the shredder 5 seconds after I leave what I think was a good interview, I'd like to know that. I'd like to know my interview was just filling some quota.

As you said both versions are injurious but with one option I know I have been injured.

Don't know if you saw the post by one of our members this month.

He stated this a bad time of the year for him because many of his friends had taken their lives, he had attempted to in the past, just because of being who they are. 

• Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

That sounds like bisexuality to me. I have never heard of people being attracted to one sex, losing that attraction and then gaining attraction to the opposite sex. How do we not know that those people were just in denial about their sexuality to begin with? 

• Like 1

Last year we had half a rugby team refuse to wear/play in a pride jersey. 

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/shame-on-them-gay-footy-star-slams-manly-players-for-boycotting-pride-jersey/news-story/458779d2caeb5721320a2865190bcd51

As Keegan notes 

" I would be interested to hear what religious and cultural beliefs stop you wearing a shirt with a rainbow on but not one that promotes gambling etc ? "

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, Ilunga said:

Last year we had half a rugby team refuse to wear/play in a pride jersey. 

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/shame-on-them-gay-footy-star-slams-manly-players-for-boycotting-pride-jersey/news-story/458779d2caeb5721320a2865190bcd51

As Keegan notes 

" I would be interested to hear what religious and cultural beliefs stop you wearing a shirt with a rainbow on but not one that promotes gambling etc ? "

It’s only my opinion, but I think Provorov (and these rugby players) were hiding behind religion.  If they were not such cowards, they would just be honest and say they were bigots who had bad ideas about gay people.  The Flyers and the NHL should suspend Provorov.  No way should any representative of the league be allowed to make such a negative statement about a group of people.  

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1
  • There it is 1

14 minutes ago, Toews said:

That sounds like bisexuality to me. I have never heard of people being attracted to one sex, losing that attraction and then gaining attraction to the opposite sex. How do we not know that those people were just in denial about their sexuality to begin with? 

The purpose of my argument is sexuality without societal implications such as denial or phobia and etc. Denial is not relevant to the discussion in this instance.

There is little evidence to show there are genes, or multiple genes at play, that definitively suggest we are predisposed to our sexuality. There aren’t any bisexual, gay, straight, bi-romantic, hetero-romantic, etc specific processes of dominant genes that actually causes someone to be that specific type of sexuality from conception to birth. Of course there could be certain groups of genes that so far have shown might have slight variations that determine sexuality, but it remains largely inconclusive. At least again from the evidence I’ve researched and seen.

13 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

All this post does is insult and demean an element of the LGBTI community. 

Does it make you feel better about yourself to describe someone as a " pillow biter " ? 

not that your wrong, but there has been equal amounts of ignorance going on this thread.

people making out that religion has no use in this world and a scam are just being ignorant. infact many/most people probably "christmas" which is based of a true story of a bishop Saint Nickolaus that helped the poor and needy.

9 hours ago, Spitfire_Spiky said:

First off I want to state that I fully support the LGTBTQ+ community and believe they should have the right to celebrate and be celebrated.

With that said this is being overblown. He never disparaged the community, and says he respects peoples decisions. His decision to sit out was made based off his religious beliefs, which while may differ from ours, we have to respect. 

I disagree. I feel absolutely no need to respect someone's religion. 

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It’s only my opinion, but I think Provorov (and these rugby players) were hiding behind religion.  If they were not such cowards, they would just be honest and say they were bigots who had bad ideas about gay people.  The Flyers and the NHL should suspend Provorov.  No way should any representative of the league be allowed to make such a negative statement about a group of people.  

again i would not condone the man for not supporting pride movements and i certainly would not twist his words.