The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Management STILL doesn't get it

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

Right now the facts are obvious to everyone sitting at Rogers Place or in front of their TV.

This season is done.

The only thing that matters now is keeping the core players in this team a part of the Canucks.

If management continues to sit on its hands, hem and haw about what/when/how/maybe... they are wasting time.

Basically they need to stop crying about the past and get the job done.

Which means they need to unload CAP RIGHT NOW so they can sign the guys who are important and whose contracts are coming either either this summer or next year.... AND open up the space for new players, especially young D, to be brought onboard. 

The two guys below either have to be signed by the Trade Deadline or they have to be traded.  Trading them would be a mistake.

Horvat

Kuzmenko

Which is why management needs to move at least three of Myers, Boeser, Garland and Schenn to make space.  Mikheyev is another who should not be off the table.

Does not really matter what the Canucks get in return... as long as the CAP hit for the players we get is less than what we ship out.  Optimally we get picks... a 5th rounder would be better than nothing.  In fact, if we trade some of the above for 'Future Considerations' it is a win as far as I'm concerned.  Either that or players we get in return are league minimum salaries.  And management should be prepared to eat some outgoing salary.  (not CAP)

Just get rid of them.

No holding out to the last minute bargaining... just get down and pull the trigger.

Horvat is an important part of the team, and Kuzmenko is also critical... he will be the 2nd key element in next year's Pettersson line.

When this team has cleared some CAP space then we can start the retool/rebuild or whatever you want to call it.

• Thanks 2

If only it was that easy. I think some teams will want to have Myers or OEL but only if canucks retain cap. I think management got this and it's a lot of moving parts. Fans have no patience. 

Myers, OEL, BB and Garland would look good on a contender or wild card team rn. They'd be supporting cast compared to here where pressure is on. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

Just now, MarnersHair said:

If only it was that easy. I think some teams will want to have Myers or OEL but only if canucks retain cap. I think management got this and it's a lot of moving parts. Fans have no patience. 

Myers, OEL, BB and Garland would look good on a contender or wild card team rn. They'd be supporting cast compared to here where pressure is on. 

Current management has had a full TDL and a free agency to make assessments of what they had. This season, they completely crapped the bed. Why are you making excuses?

JR completely revamped the front staff, plus he had say on the coaching staff. Hell, he said he's friends with Boudreau. The media focused a lot on the fact that we're the first team to make progressive moves for women in executive spots. That's great, but let's see results. This is a results oriented business.

Misreading the Miller market and leaving no cap room for Horvat is the biggest mistake they've made - both major ones. For all the criticisms that Benning's received for spending up to the cap, suddenly we see excuses made for a GM that does the EXACT same thing while at the bottom of the league? This is a JR problem - not anyone else's. No one forced this team to re-sign Miller when we could've traded him high.

Benning inherited a crappy, skeletonized past of the Canucks. He had declining Sedins and a disgruntled, NTC Kesler, along with Markstrom and Tanev. Nothing in the pipelines though. By contrast, JR has Pettersson, Demko, Hughes, etc. There are some prospects in the pipeline, even if they are not A tier.

I don't always agree with Buzzsaw, but he shares the opinions with much of the fans here. Current management just doesn't get it. We have a failing product. We were sold lies that this team would be better, that they'd fix the mistakes of previous management.

We are capped out, not quite bad enough for Bedard (atm), and we have diminished trade assets. Wow. We are only slightly better than Montreal at this point, who owes an unprotected first round pick. Their prospect pool is also very underwhelming.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

8 minutes ago, Mando27 said:

Cute that people still think management has any say what happens with this team.

JR is a veteran guy. He openly said that he welcomed the opportunity to be given freedom to make changes - and he was. He was given the power to change his front staff. Those were ALL his picks. And almost all of them have proven to be inexperienced, INCLUDING Allvin. He is nothing more than a puppet.

That's not on ownership.

Any hockey decisions are made by JR and his team. Ownership hired them because he thought they'd help. So what we know is that Aquilini sucks at assessing staff members, and JR is not as good as advertised.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

I think the only real problem contracts are Miller and OEL - given the bad press on Miller (attitude and decline in play) coupled with his substantial raise and OEL's decline, they will have a tough time finding suitors for them (unless the cap goes up substantially in the near future, but even then they'll have to retain to move Miller).  Myers they'll have to be patient with, but in another year they should be able to trade him as a pending UFA, if only for a pick.  

I don't think we should treat Garland as a problem to prioritize resolving though, at least not due to lack of effort.  Before last season, he was a 40 point guy, and he's currently on pace for that.  On a team lacking scoring and play-driving, he could still be useful (I still think that teams like NYI/ NSH/ CHI after they move Kane would want Garland or Boeser in some form of hockey trade e.g., for Ekholm, since rebuilding teams wouldn't want to put unprepared rookies like Reichel on their top line permanently).  Alternatively, if we trade Kuzmenko, we could put Boeser back with Petey and hopefully see his scoring go back up such that he wouldn't be viewed as overpriced.

We really shouldn't be rushed to shed bad contracts at this point but trade the good ones that would net future assets, while letting the pricey but still serviceable guys play into their contracts and hopefully recover, since what's done is done when it comes to signing guys.  Look at San Jose, we're basically in the denial stage before where they are now.  They tore it down to the essentials and immovable liabilities (Meier/ Couture/ Hertl as the primary contributors up front, with guys like Labanc/ Bonino/ Kunin/ Barabanov, etc. as the useful guys on short-term contracts, while they're also stuck with Vlasic [and maybe Karlsson] on the back-end, plus Reimer is a good 1A to share the net with Kahkonen).  The equivalent for us would be Miller (probably stuck with him), Petey/ Mikheyev as the big money guys up front plus the cheap depth, then Hughes hopefully wants to stay too, along with Bear and OEL (stuck with him too).  IF Demko wants to go we could see what we have in Martin, since we could do worse than end up with a better draft position due to poor goaltending.   

40 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Horvat is 100% getting traded, doesn't matter how many times people want to think otherwise, he will get traded before the deadline.

Also, the deadline is when you make the major trades, so that is still 6 weeks away, they aren't getting done tomorrow...

Unless he gets injured, which would be a very Canuck thing and the longer they wait the more risk they are going to take on and are the offers really going to get better?  Other teams know they can take advantage of the Canucks right now.  At some point in time this organization has to realize it probably has to take steps back to move forward.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

That’s not an easy one, he is working so well with Petey that he may sign for that reason alone… oh and enough money!

With so much drama happening in his first year and I am sure he can get more money elsewhere I have a feeling he won't sign with us. But let's hope he does re-sign with us but I have a feeling he won't. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, RolexSub said:

With so much drama happening in his first year and I am sure he can get more money elsewhere I have a feeling he won't sign with us. But let's hope he does re-sign with us but I have a feeling he won't. 

Honestly I bet they could get a good return if he doesn’t want to be here.

Dude hand over that bottle of scotch. 

Horvat needs to be traded even of we have the cap space or not re-signed Miller. We need the asset coming back for him.

Same thing can be said for Kuz. 

Miller should have also been traded instead of being re-signed.

Easy to say get cap space but no one wants our garbage. You think teams would trade for Myers or OEL for future considerations. More like those bad contracts plus a 1st or a 2nd for a expiring or shorter term big money contract and a petty seventh round pick.

Only player we might be able to give away for free out of the problems is Garland. 

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Westcoasting said:

Honestly I bet they could get a good return if he doesn’t want to be here.

We can definitely get a good return for Kuz!! Can be a big package deal to go along with Bo. I much rather keep Kuz because he will only get better and better each season!!! I would hate to lose him unless the Canucks give him what he wants. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Drakrami said:

Canucks fans continue to live in dreamland thinking offloading cap is easy. Hasn't been for 2-3 years already. Either slow, or will never get it. 

Myers for a 2nd, here we go!

The CAP space has killed us for the last 4yrs.....hmmmm I wonder who screwed that up financially!! 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Dude hand over that bottle of scotch. 

Horvat needs to be traded even of we have the cap space or not re-signed Miller. We need the asset coming back for him.

Same thing can be said for Kuz. 

Miller should have also been traded instead of being re-signed.

Easy to say get cap space but no one wants our garbage. You think teams would trade for Myers or OEL for future considerations. More like those bad contracts plus a 1st or a 2nd for a expiring or shorter term big money contract and a petty seventh round pick.

Only player we might be able to give away for free out of the problems is Garland. 

That scotch is horrible stuff isn’t it?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MarnersHair said:

none of those players would look good on a contender or wild card team unless they have no terms left on their contract.. all of them come with maximum risk minimal reward hence they won't be moved unless the canucks assumes all the risk by eating up 25% or more of those contracts.. ain't happening or it would already been done.

Miller's the  real problem, he's not liked in the room and players don't like playing with him, the brotherhood, the comradery isn't there, he's the first that needs to go

They already messed up big time when they let Tanev go, he was there real leader, when he spoke they all listened

Everyone talks about trading boeser, if boeser goes, then Petterson won't resign,  they been best friends from day one

Edited by klw604
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 2