The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Management STILL doesn't get it

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

9 hours ago, MarnersHair said:

If only it was that easy. I think some teams will want to have Myers or OEL but only if canucks retain cap. I think management got this and it's a lot of moving parts. Fans have no patience. 

Myers, OEL, BB and Garland would look good on a contender or wild card team rn. They'd be supporting cast compared to here where pressure is on. 

We now have some cap space due to the Pearson LTIR.  It makes it much easier to move players because we can take money back that is on an expiring deal to offload future cap liabilities next year in our players.

The team also needs a shock so even symbolically putting guys on waivers would be a bit of a wake up call for them too.  Maybe we get lucky and someone picks up Garland in that scenario.

Teams accumulate cap space as the season goes along. 

There's absolutely no incentive for teams to trade for our players right now. It's better to wait until the TDL. More space on teams selling and buying. 

9 hours ago, klw604 said:

Miller's the  real problem, he's not liked in the room and players don't like playing with him, the brotherhood, the comradery isn't there, he's the first that needs to go

They already messed up big time when they let Tanev go, he was there real leader, when he spoke they all listened

Everyone talks about trading boeser, if boeser goes, then Petterson won't resign,  they been best friends from day one

You the fly in the room lol

6th last in the league with a PPG defenceman, 100pt player in Petey, 99pt Miller last year and Bo scoring at a 60 goal rate, 11th best PP and 13th most goals for is just insane. 

Chuck a couple of two top-4 D men into this lineup and we're a contender IMO but of course they don't just appear. Even if we traded two forwards for two defencemen, we'd lose some offence and our overall quality would surely drop.

A Bo for 3C and RD would fix a lot of problems and maybe if we had made it sooner in the year, we could have changed things sooner, but it's too late now to even find out now. They have to be thinking pure tank now and get the best possible 1st rounder they can.

Can we contend for the playoffs next year? Absolutely, but only if we acquire these top-4 defencemen. I worry Myers and OEL will be too hard to move, Bear will get a nice deal and there's our top-4 : exactly the same as it is right now. A young RD from a Bo trade would go a long way.

Bo + Schenn for Chytil + Schneider

Boeser for Monahan

Garland for 2nd, then use that 2nd to flip Myers

We essentially wipe out a 2nd line, gain two middle-6 centers, a top young RD and a bucket of cap space. Run with Schneider and Bear as our RDs next year.

25 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

6th last in the league with a PPG defenceman, 100pt player in Petey, 99pt Miller last year and Bo scoring at a 60 goal rate, 11th best PP and 13th most goals for is just insane. 

Chuck a couple of two top-4 D men into this lineup and we're a contender IMO but of course they don't just appear. Even if we traded two forwards for two defencemen, we'd lose some offence and our overall quality would surely drop.

A Bo for 3C and RD would fix a lot of problems and maybe if we had made it sooner in the year, we could have changed things sooner, but it's too late now to even find out now. They have to be thinking pure tank now and get the best possible 1st rounder they can.

Can we contend for the playoffs next year? Absolutely, but only if we acquire these top-4 defencemen. I worry Myers and OEL will be too hard to move, Bear will get a nice deal and there's our top-4 : exactly the same as it is right now. A young RD from a Bo trade would go a long way.

Boeser for Monahan

We essentially wipe out a 2nd line, gain two middle-6 centers, a top young RD and a bucket of cap space. Run with Schneider and Bear as our RDs next year.

Boeser for Monahan

Easy Peasy!  You're hired DownUnda!

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

What I can almost guarantee is there will be a nuclear meltdown on here if we change coaches mid-season and get a coaches bump to push us back into the middle of the overall standings and out of the top 10 in the draft.  The ABSOLUTE LAST THING we need is a coaching change right now.  Which probably means we'll see Tocchet in here within the next month or so.

Yup, it really is a no win situation to bring a new coach in now.  First its an extra cost to ownership.  But more importantly, there is no good upside for the team.

If the team has a Tocchet bump, or whomever, and the team plays itself out of the top ten draft position....fail

If the team does not respond well to this change, and there is no improvement in play even after a couple of months of adjustments, and we just signed a new coach to a multi year deal, maybe the wrong one...fail

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, stawns said:

I'm sure there'll be some picks in there, but what good does focusing mainly on picks do?  I'd much rather have known assets than lottery tickets, a significant portion of which will never play on the NHL 

People's obsession with draft picks reeks of EA sports hockey experience 

Horvat is a potential 50 goal scorer this season, and his value should be assessed as such.  If a team has any older prospects they think can score 50 goals in the near future, they probably won't be given up.  Getting 50 goals in the aggregate (ie. a 30G and 20G player) will be our only likely option.

For the record, Cory Schneider got us the pick that eventually became Bo Horvat.  Ryan Kesler got us players plus a pick that became Jared McCann.  The irony of that trade was that we gave away McCann (who indeed struggled as a rookie) for an older, yet unreliable Erik Gudbranson.  The Hodgson/Kassian swap didn't pan out for either team.

My point is that prospects can be as unpredictable as draft picks.  I prefer the freedom and stable value of a draft pick which can quickly get flipped into something else if needed.  I think it's easier to trade a pick than a roster player.

• Cheers 2

34 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Horvat is a potential 50 goal scorer this season, and his value should be assessed as such.  If a team has any older prospects they think can score 50 goals in the near future, they probably won't be given up.  Getting 50 goals in the aggregate (ie. a 30G and 20G player) will be our only likely option.

For the record, Cory Schneider got us the pick that eventually became Bo Horvat.  Ryan Kesler got us players plus a pick that became Jared McCann.  The irony of that trade was that we gave away McCann (who indeed struggled as a rookie) for an older, yet unreliable Erik Gudbranson.  The Hodgson/Kassian swap didn't pan out for either team.

My point is that prospects can be as unpredictable as draft picks.  I prefer the freedom and stable value of a draft pick which can quickly get flipped into something else if needed.  I think it's easier to trade a pick than a roster player.

1st rounders, I agree

• RoughGame 1

17 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We play at Rogers Arena not at Rogers Place.

Horvat is 100% getting traded, doesn't matter how many times people want to think otherwise, he will get traded before the deadline.

Also, the deadline is when you make the major trades, so that is still 6 weeks away, they aren't getting done tomorrow...

I think Bo will be gone in the next 1-3 weeks not at or near the actual deadline. Enjoy him while he's here - because I predict he only has 4 games left here in Van - period!

• Sad 1
  • There it is 1

10 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Boeser was put on the Pettersson line and the PP1 games ago in order to try and get him going, and these things happened;

PP1 stopped being lethal

Pettersson line became less lethal

Mik Petey Kuz chemistry was put on pause

Kuzmenko was put on the 3rd line with Dries and Studnicka

We have been losing consistently since that time

I have Pettersson on my fantasy team, week to week format. I notice when production dips off in all aspects of his game. Since Boeser was put on his line, the line has been trash.

Boeser is a nice guy, but he doesn't fit on our team. He has no on-ice chemistry, is behind the play constantly, doesn't battle whatsoever, and doesn't forecheck. Bye bye. 

That's fair; he needs a guy who's pass first and he needs confidence in that shot (since he really shouldn't be the net front guy that they've been utilizing him as, but rather he should probably play bumper wherever he goes to play next since his shot is his most lethal asset).  Kuzmenko's skillset would be great to retain, esp. with another creative, mobile and aggressive guy like Petey.  

• There it is 1

8 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

That's fair; he needs a guy who's pass first and he needs confidence in that shot (since he really shouldn't be the net front guy that they've been utilizing him as, but rather he should probably play bumper wherever he goes to play next since his shot is his most lethal asset).  Kuzmenko's skillset would be great to retain, esp. with another creative, mobile and aggressive guy like Petey.  

I think Kuz is proving he’s a driver.  He’s an excellent player in a supporting role, who can also drive play (somewhat) from the wing.  Love Brock but he’s a finisher (not a play driver) who, when he’s not finishing, provides little else.  

• Thanks 1
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I think Bo will be gone in the next 1-3 weeks not at or near the actual deadline. Enjoy him while he's here - because I predict he only has 4 games left here in Van - period!

IMHAO Bo will extend with us before the TDL because our owner wants it.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think Kuz is proving he’s a driver.  He’s an excellent player in a supporting role, who can also drive play (somewhat) from the wing.  Love Brock but he’s a finisher (not a play driver) who, when he’s not finishing, provides little else.  

After Horvat gets traded I really hope they play him as the bumper on the PP.  IF we can't/ don't keep Kuzmenko either, I hope we run

Garland
Miller  - Boeser - Pettersson
             Hughes

Garland's got the speed to be the puck-retriever and he or Petey can feather passes to Brock in the middle.  Garland can also feed Miller for one-timers, same with Miller to Hughes, Hughes to Petey, Brock to Petey... so many quick shooting options!

12 hours ago, Rackdawg said:

You the fly in the room lol

Stfu, what if I know a little more then you do, you some keyboard warrior that lives in the butfuk of no where , your probably a bum for all I know

What if I knew someone on the team, what's the big deal, saying how it is , you don't like what I post, go and read the next topic, you clown

• Haha 4

13 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Remember this Lazar was a 1st round draft pick

Your point?  He's logged a ton of games in the NHL and has been a very serviceable defensive player for us.  In hindsight, that was a wild draft year with tons of talent and he probably should've been picked in the second round.  That's not bad at all.

Doesn't change the fact that picks have a universal value to them.  If a team has a pick they don't want, they can easily trade it away to a team that wants it, and vice versa.  There's no additional scouting required or assessments needed.

Doesn't matter what the issue being discussed, when you sit in your living room pretending you know what is going on in the canucks front office or how the team dynamics are playing out in the dressing room...

You know absolutely nothing...

Your not around to see what management is doing or not doing regarding moving players.

Your have no clue how Miller is liked or disliked, or if Horvat is a good captian or not, you are not in the dressing room. Or anything behind closed doors.

When you start spouting your personal opinions about what people are doing or how they act, and then direct anger towards these people because of your own presumptions...

You come off as a cheap politician spouting rhetoric...

Moving on.

• Vintage 1