The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Russo] Dumba Being Scratched Tonight a “Hockey Decision,” Trade Incoming?

AngryElf

I always thought that Dumba was over rated and am reminded of that everytime I see him play.

He does nothing well and isn't a great defender, at this point I would consider sticking with Burroughs as a better option because at least Burr comes cheap and has an incredibly good attitude.

• Cheers 2

I know Dumba and Severson are far from elite and make a lot of sloppy Myers-like plays, but I'd take them both right now for a couple of our wingers if they're going.

Boeser for Dumba, Miller for Severson

Would fix a lot of our current problems (and probably make some new ones), but we'd be better off.

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

This board's ridiculous obsession of "Boeser for Dumba" makes me want to kick puppies :picard:

For the millionth time CDC...They don't need and can't afford Boeser. We have zero need for Dumba. 

I don't watch much Wild hockey, is he just bad defensively? And worn out at this point?

13 minutes ago, GB5 said:

I always thought that Dumba was over rated and am reminded of that everytime I see him play.

He does nothing well and isn't a great defender, at this point I would consider sticking with Burroughs as a better option because at least Burr comes cheap and has an incredibly good attitude.

I agree that he is overrated. He is probably better than Burroughs, but considering the salaries of the two players, yeah I'd rather play Burroughs rather than trade for and sign Dumba.

The way I see it, our defence needs two RDs:

Hughes-RD

OEL-RD

Dermott-Bear

Schenn, if he is re-signed can slot in beside Hughes and masquerade as a top 4D.

Sign a defenceman who knows how to play defence and pair him up with OEL.

Trading Myers with little cap retention is the next task for the management as well as finding a top4 RD. If they can do that and re-sign Schenn (UFA), Dermott, and Bear (RFAs), then we go into next season with some hope of winning games.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, aGENT said:

This board's ridiculous obsession of "Boeser for Dumba" makes me want to kick puppies :picard:

For the millionth time CDC...They don't need and can't afford Boeser. We have zero need for Dumba. 

13 minutes ago, GB5 said:

6 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Thats just it. 

I'm tired of half ass band aid jobs from this team. 

We must have the largest collection of 5-7D in the league. 

(Myers, Poolman, Dermott Schenn Bear, Burroughs, Stillman) 

Our only bonafide top 4 D is Hughes. OEL is a maybe at best. He would be if he had a solid partner. 

Obviously if you want legit top 4 talent, you're either going to have to give up valuable asset(s) or draft 1 with a high pick. 

Canucks keep trading scraps like buying a lotto ticket hoping it works out while we continue to collect a bunch of fringe NHL D men that's eating up capspace.

Quality not quantity ppl.. 

You need to get a solid RD back in the Horvat deal because we will most likely draft a centre in the 2023 draft. 

Or get a decent 1st rounder(s) back in Horvat and Kuz deals and draft a d later in the first. This is a hit or miss unless scouting is confident they'll find our future partner for Hughes here. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, awalk said:

I don't watch much Wild hockey, is he just bad defensively? And worn out at this point?

He's another mediocre (at best) defense, offensive D (oft injured and with a declining offensive game) who like Hughes, OEL and Myers all want/need the puck and to "create", to play their game.

He's not remotely what we need (which are guys like Tanev, Marino, Cernak etc) to play with guys like Hughes. Guys good at moving the puck but mostly solid defensively and don't need to "create" or take chances.

And again, oft injured and declining.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Strawbone said:

Questionable defense, offense has dried up, often injured. I think it would be a dumba move to trade for him.

It could also be a profitable investment if we could flip him in a few weeks at the deadline. RHD with experience to a contending team with expiring contract?

that’s how we pick up an extra low round draft pick that we won’t be getting from anyone for Boeser. It’s how to recoup. And if we can’t trade him, he walks. Again, Boeser’s contract (and term) off the books for nuthin. Smart move if they could pull it off. 

1 hour ago, Provost said:

I do Dumba for Boeser just to shed the cap next season.  If we could get something else as a sweetener that would be nice.

I would consider doing Dumba for Boeser as long as there was a contract extension in place for Dumba. Boeser has value and has been playing much better overall the last 2 or 3 weeks.

Dumba would give us more flexibility on the Right side, but this really only works if there's a solution to move out Myers and possibly OEL as well.

1 hour ago, mll said:

They can add over 16M worth of contracts at the TDL - they've avoided LTIR and have been banking cap space.   They can't add term because it spills into next season where they are completely cap strapped and will need to clear contracts, but this TDL they project to be the playoff team with the most cap space (looking at CapFriendly).   Roster limits are lifted at the TDL and with the cap space they have they can keep their roster intact and simply add to it provided only rentals.  Moving Dumba weakens their D-corps and the cost to bring someone to replace him probably off-sets the return they can get for him.  I wouldn't expect him to be traded.

Depends on what teams are offering, I was reading something the other day Minnesota needs other teams to "make it make sense" for them. https://zonecoverage.com/2023/wild/what-makes-sense-for-the-wild-in-a-dumba-trade/#:~:text=One executive said that when,will play in the room.

They could treat Dumba as their own rental, but I don't think a hockey trade is outside the realm of possibility. It also depends on whether they want to retain him and whether he wants to stay, which they've probably got a pretty good understanding of at this point. 

Makes sense that they wouldn't want to weaken their D, but if he's not in next season's plans a move could make sense too. 

24 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I would consider doing Dumba for Boeser as long as there was a contract extension in place for Dumba. Boeser has value and has been playing much better overall the last 2 or 3 weeks.

Dumba would give us more flexibility on the Right side, but this really only works if there's a solution to move out Myers and possibly OEL as well.

For me to want Dumba, it would have to be at a huge discount form his current salary and intended for the 3rd pairing.  I would do the deal JUST for the cap space in the offseason.

With another year of flat cap, having that space means you can make a trade for a Marino/Bjorkstrand kind of player for pennies on the dollar who teams need to shed to afford raises.

That is all contingent on the league and PA not coming to an agreement to artificially raise the cap this offseason even though they haven't fully paid off what they owe the owners.  No one has talked about it beyond just in passing, but I suspect they may give a $2-4 million boost this offseason once they are more sure of the numbers.  The players have "almost" paid off what they owe, and the current agreement would mean a limit of a $1 million increase next year, but likely bump up by $4-6 million each of the consecutive years based on the calculation of HRR over the previous two seasons.  The PA may do it because free agents will have difficult times getting contracts this year, but the ones coming up the next two years will absolutely cash in once the cap space becomes available.