The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Let's Just Face Reality

HKSR

How often do we as a collective on CDC think we will get the moon and the stars whenever we trade someone?  Right.  Never.  So here are my thoughts on realistic trade deals.  You'll likely read them and think "that's not nearly enough"... which means it's probably realistic. 

TRADE #1

To VAN:

Martin Necas

Scott Morrow

To CAR:

Bo Horvat

Necas is an established forward at age 24.  A solid top 6 option for the Canucks.  Morrow is a highly regarded RHD prospect. 

Carolina gets Bo.  Enough said.

TRADE #2

To VAN:

2nd Round Pick (MAYBE a 2024 1st round pick)

To Contender:

Luke Schenn

It'd be nice to get a 1st round pick back, but again... realistically, it'll be a 2nd round pick.  This year's draft is just way too deep.  Perhaps a 2024 1st round pick instead?

TRADE #3

To VAN:

Ty Dellandrea

2nd Round Pick

To DAL:

Andrei Kuzmenko

Dellandrea is a 6'1" 195lbs RH centre that has solid upside and plays a sound 2-way game.  Could blossom into an excellent 3rd line centre for Vancouver.  Also add a 2nd round pick as well.

Realistically, Boeser will probably not be moved.  The cost is likely too high to 'sweeten' a deal to move him.  Same argument for Garland, so it makes sense that Kuzmenko is moved.

Notables also not being moved this TDL: 

Tyler Myers -- won't be moved until next season when his bonus has been paid out, and he only has 1 year left on his deal

Tanner Pearson -- won't be any takers until next year now that he's injured for the season

So there we have it.  Are any of these home runs?  Nope.  Are they realistic deals?  Based on how it feels like it's not quite enough to make us happy, they're probably as realistic as they can get.  Also notice there are no 1st round picks involved here.  I personally think 2023's 1st round picks are too valuable for any team to want to give up this year.

The bright side is we add a few promising young players in Necas, Dellandrea, and Morrow, while also adding a couple 2nd round picks for the upcoming draft.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Carolina hangs up the phone with a derisive snort one #1. 
2nd rounder for Schenn sounds about right. 
‘Not sure about #3. 

Don’t think Myers has any value, 1 million cost but who has 6M in cap space and wants to bring the chaos. Even for 3M that is not what teams are looking for. He runs his contract out helping us tank again next year. 
‘Pearson who knows if plays again, if does and is decent out at deadline next season. 

4 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

‘Not sure about #3. 

Don’t think Myers has any value, 1 million cost but who has 6M in cap space and wants to bring the chaos. Even for 3M that is not what teams are looking for. He runs his contract out helping us tank again next year. 
‘Pearson who knows if plays again, if does and is decent out at deadline next season. 

Why do you think Carolina would scoff at that deal?

Their centres are Aho, Staal, Stastny, and Kotkaniemi.  Bo would be a perfect 2C for them moving into the future.  Unless you feel Staal and Stastny are hanging around for awhile.

They're stacked on the wings, would make sense for them to convert one of their wingers to a centre instead.

Morrow has his work cut out for him to make the roster.  Heck, Ethan Bear who is a very capable RHD couldn't even stick around there.

31 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I think from the Canes the return might be. 

Kotkaniemi + Morrow + 1st. for Bo and Schenn 

If we taking Kotkan they are gonna have to really pay up. Near 5M deal for the next 7 years after this one. 

He’s young but that’s still a huge commitment for someone who’s initial season into this 8 year deal hasn’t been great. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If we taking Kotkan they are gonna have to really pay up. Near 5M deal for the next 7 years after this one. 

He’s young but that’s still a huge commitment for someone who’s initial season into this 8 year deal hasn’t been great. 

aaaand? We went through this last year with Miller if we want their 1st and Morrow we have to pay up. Something like this is probably the best offer we will get so we should probably take it before he sails ufa. 

3 minutes ago, hammertime said:

aaaand? We went through this last year with Miller if we want their 1st and Morrow we have to pay up. Something like this is probably the best offer we will get so we should probably take it before he sails ufa. 

I would want more if I am taking that contract. 

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Their centres are Aho, Staal, Stastny, and Kotkaniemi.  Bo would be a perfect 2C for them moving into the future.  Unless you feel Staal and Stastny are hanging around for awhile.

They're stacked on the wings, would make sense for them to convert one of their wingers to a centre instead.

Morrow has his work cut out for him to make the roster.  Heck, Ethan Bear who is a very capable RHD couldn't even stick around there.

Bear's a 5-6D though, if Morrow hits his potential he'll be top 4, I don't view Bear as having top 4 upside

I do think Staal comes back as their 3C, if they look to upgrade their 2C which I agree they should it makes sense that Kotkaniemi would be a player who is moved out 

Necas leads their team in points, as a team who should probably be looking to get over the hump I don't think he's a player they'd be looking to move

Edited by Coconuts

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

‘Not sure about #3. 

Think you wrong abut Carolina trade.. 

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

I think from the Canes the return might be. 

Kotkaniemi + Morrow + 1st. for Bo and Schenn 

Kotkaniemi 22- 6'2 -  GP 281- G 41 -- PTS 107 - 7 yrs X 4.8 million --NO THANKS  3rd line player

Morrow RD - 20  6'2---- Drury  22 - 5'11 ----- 1st rounder---

Horvat 27 -- 

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

Morrow is possible. Don’t think they are willing to trade Necas here and they probably wouldn’t add a high pic on top of those two even if they would consider that.  Carolina shies away from these type of deals in general. They don’t tend to go big.

I thought they should have been the team JTM went to (still do) but Bo would be great for them. 
Plus Necas a really good player but another winger when we still haven’t moved any. 

Really like Dellandrea and what he brings, need more fwds like him. Agree, think he could be the perfect 3c for the future. If not Kuz then maybe as part of a package for Bo. Bo and Schenn to the Stars would make them a cup contender. They don’t have any cap space so a deal may be tough. 

I’d take trade 1 and run.

Apparently Necas was a non-starter, so not sure if we could get him + Morrow. I’d be happy with Kotkaniemi, Morrow and a 1st. It checks all the boxes for age, position, and seems realistic. Maybe either side adds a bit, but that’s the bones of a good deal.

trade 2 seems more than realistic, and could also see him included in the Horvat trade to a contender (including your trade 1)

have to agree with @Devron that we likely re-sign Kuz. If we don’t, I like that you targeted a potential 3C in trade 3

Great proposals

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Hasn’t his production picked up of late?