The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

It Is Time For A Fan Representative To Sit At The Table, Inclusion.

Rate this topic

ToTellTheTruth

An Advocate for Fans, Yes or No?  

74 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

58 minutes ago, kilgore said:

ie:  Make ME the fan advocate and I can air MY grievances and suggestions.

So many different opinions on CDC alone. It would be impossible to find a rep that would speak for all fans.

But just to play along, you could have a lottery or add it to one of the 50/50 draws to pick a random fan who gets to ask one, or maybe a few, questions at some upcoming press conference. There could even be suggestions for questions posted that the lucky fan could choose from, or make up their own.

The problem is that it could be anyone. Could be a fan who has the opposite opinion that you do. I'd not be whining about rebuilding for instance.  Its too late for that now IMO.  Or could be just a star struck fan who only asks soft ball questions. And even if the draw lands a more aware and angry fan, its more difficult than you think demanding follow up answers from seasoned managers that know how to answer questions without actually answering them. 

The advantage would be that a fan doesn't have to come back the next day, like a local reporter, and foster a relationship with the team and the players, in order to keep them on friendly terms in the future.  coughPatersoncough.  I'd love to see a news clip of one of us p'd off posters being dragged out by their heels yelling loudly about not getting answers and demanding the Aquilini's sell the team!

So yes, it would be great, but only if you landed the perfect fan, not intimidated, a good speaker, and who shares all of MY opinions on what questions are the most important.

I listed a number of statements I thought could be expanded on, I am pretty sure a lot of fans have those questions and none were attacks on people.

There are lots of things that can be asked that are general enough to cover hockey, only hockey related questions, no personal attacks, no putting the blame on individual players, coaches or others. No asking about special interest groups like "Why are you supporting the Poor Puppy Group" , Leaving all that stuff outside of direct hockey related questions, about the game on the ice, within the confines of a bubble.

The questions would be screened like a lot are already, not censored but screened to make sure they are not personal attacks or agenda's. They might even be able to handed off to another media person to ask to insure that happened BUT the fan representative is present for follow up.

Ya that is a fear that some fan would confirm that Vancouver fans are idiots but I would publicize that persons name across the country and hopefully the international media would descend upon them due to the notoriety they gained

There hundreds of fans that be calm, cool and collected. There even a few on this forum who have posted for years that have a steady position.

Two extremes from this forum, Deb cannot be one for a couple of reasons but one is "the team is great" even in the 8 year of losing and all the players or Deb's favourites are the best in the league, she is there for participation not elimination and one game.

Alf used to be pretty steady but has got a little more opinionated lately pointing at players and posters.

Going by the replies in this thread

Stawns has no confidence in himself

Salacious Crumb has an agenda or grudge

Coconuts just wants attention, no content in this thread

Strawbone seems close

tas comes across as having feeling of inferiority

Shayaster007 comes across like there is caste system

KyGuy123 seem to be half way to giving up

And of course yourself, you gave out a thought out answer with attention to worrying about good representation of the fans and types of questions

Entitlement, what is entitlement exactly? Is that when a product is sold you and it breaks? Someone fools you and steals your money? Makes plans to make you think the tide is in already when selling beach front property? 

Damn rights it is entitlement, they want money so we are entitled to know what they want it for or what they will give us in return. Even Burke came out with pay up or move and pay up so we can pay player more. That set the entitlement decades ago.

We bought a Ferrari and got a Volkswagon instead of the promised car. Entitled for an explanation?

Where on earth did fans ever get the idea they were not entitled to something as simple as truth?

Edited by ToTellTheTruth

You kind of proved my point about finding the "perfect" fan rep. :lol:

Deb cannot be one for a couple of reasons but one is the team is great even in the 8 year of losing and ll the players are the best in the league, she is there for participation not elimination and one game.

Alf used to be pretty steady but has got a little more opinionated lately pointing at players and posters.

Strawbone seems close

popcorn.gif

4 minutes ago, kilgore said:

You kind of proved my point about finding the "perfect" fan rep. :lol:

Deb cannot be one for a couple of reasons but one is the team is great even in the 8 year of losing and ll the players are the best in the league, she is there for participation not elimination and one game.

Strawbone seems close

popcorn.gif

Just showing that out of page two alone there was two possible rep's to vet. Thanks for helping point that out

Edited by ToTellTheTruth
  • Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

She shouldn't have been hired in the first place. Her reactions AFTER she was fired show someone who is immature. She can't help herself on social media.

Given the way this org has treated BB and horvat, I'm starting to think RD probably has a good case.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, stawns said:

Given the way this org Rutherford has treated BB and horvat, I'm starting to think RD probably has a good case.

Let's  not paint the entire organization with the same brush.

There's a lot of quality people that, I'm sure, would've handled the BB/BoHo situations differently if it were their call - Smyl, Sedins, Jonhson, ect....

8 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Let's  not paint the entire organization with the same brush.

There's a lot of quality people that, I'm sure, would've handled the BB/BoHo situations differently if it were their call - Smyl, Sedins, Jonhson, ect....

White Goodman Reaction GIF

While I respect your thread of needing a voice to speak for the fans. What used to happen was way back when Gillis was the GM and President there would be a season ticket holder summit called the summer summit. This was a Q & A session for STH’s to ask management questions and concerns about the club. This was all the way up to when Linden was the president but since he left this concept has been abandoned. Unfortunately it leaves a void and no voice for the actual legit paying customers who spend 5-20 thousand a year for season tickets and merch. While I agree there needs to be an outlet for the fans who have been long time contributors to helping this club be a highly valuable franchise.

While some people don’t agree that fans should have a say with how this team has been operating, how else are you going to continue their loyalty and dedication to this franchise with their precious disposable income? Is that just the risk of doing business? Perhaps but you begin to lose fan support and interest when the heavy revenue spending fans have a sense of hopelessness when they aren’t heard or questions never answered.

I’d be thrilled if they ever brought back the summer summit to STH’s like myself because wether people want to accept it or not, fans are what give this franchise value and we aren’t some clueless paypig that mindlessly forks over dough.  Appreciate the idea of a spokesperson to represent the fans, however there are just too many differential opinions and visions from a huge market fanbase to appease everyone. Having something like the summer summit Q &A would be ideal for the voices that do pay the teams bills on a regular basis is the most fair and accurate method to achieve this goal. Now whether or not this management regime will do this is another story. 

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

You have impact. 

- Don't go to games.

- Don't buy merchanidize.

- Listen on Radio/Internet instead of watch on TV.

Less revenue will send a message the fans are unhappy. 

The problem is Ownership/Management aren't doing what they should in building a better team. 

They should care less about playoff revenue and look for long term success that means the team can compete for the Cup for years to come.

The only issue is that this only shows there is a problem, and not what that problem is.

For example, people could stop going to games because they feel management has no direction and it's pointless to watch games.

However, Aqua could view this as "we're not an exciting enough team, we must go all-in to make the playoffs and start winning."

I think this is where fan interaction would help, as we could explain what we are looking for and what we are comfortable with (will watch young talent develop through tough seasons if it means becoming a Cup contender).

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, c00kies said:

The only issue is that this only shows there is a problem, and not what that problem is.

For example, people could stop going to games because they feel management has no direction and it's pointless to watch games.

However, Aqua could view this as "we're not an exciting enough team, we must go all-in to make the playoffs and start winning."

I think this is where fan interaction would help, as we could explain what we are looking for and what we are comfortable with (will watch young talent develop through tough seasons if it means becoming a Cup contender).

Then do what they used to do. Hold Summer Summits with season ticket holders as EP mentioned. 

Make it mandatory that the GM/AGM/President has to be there. 

• Thanks 1
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

I have not had a beer in 6 months. 

Thanks for making me feel like I was drunk.

Well done, Keep it up.

It does get easier; not a lot easier, but  a bit easier none the less.

One Day At A Time!.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1