The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

It Is Time For A Fan Representative To Sit At The Table, Inclusion.

Rate this topic

ToTellTheTruth

An Advocate for Fans, Yes or No?  

74 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, BlastPast said:

Ok OP, if you were GM, what are your first 5-10 objectives for this team and how do you plan to accomplish them? I'll extend that query to anyone. Let's hear your first ten steps.

I'm not a GM but if I was:

- Keep Bruce until the end of the season. Start looking for a long term replacement not a short term disaster fill in. Be straight with Bruce. Let him know how much

he's liked by the organization and fans. But he will not be renewed. But do the best with what he's got.

- Fire the assistants and bring in people that can teach systems and defence.

- I couldn't lower ticket prices for the exception of certain fan centric events where I'd have discount tickets, free merch, deals on food and drink, etc.

- Get security to understand the concept of discretion, and order.  However the idiot with the trumpet we might need to have some words with him.

- Fire the DJ and bring in someone who will get the crowd pumped up.

- Try to get trades done by the deadline. I would like to see hockey trades so if we give up something of value we have to get value back.

- Move pieces that don't work, retain salary if need to get younger, even it if means 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks. Try and salvage what you can.

- Related to security, I would try to get sections like the Larschieders, or University groups of supporters. People that would be loud, and make Rogers Arena a fun place.

Hell we can even have a cowbell section!

- Make it a mandate that the teams goal is a cup. It won't happen overnight. But short term goals like just make the playoffs are not a part of the long term strategy and

to make this team competitive not once, but EVERY year.

- Do what we can to keep cap space. Even if it means $2-3 million under the cap each year. It will help the bottom line, but best of all it gives the team options

at the deadline to pick up players that might be a fit long term. No picks for rentals. We can trade rentals for picks however if they aren't in the long term plan.

- Establish a hard working, never give up identity. One that fixes problems, even if it means taking a loss on a player. In the end it's what everyone wants. What's best

for the team.

That being said. Its up to management to make the team appealing to the fans, and create success. Having someone from the fanbase at meetings is not going to happen.

The Canucks are a private company. They have no obligation to appoint a fan representitive. Now having a season ticket holder meeting each summer, is fine. Just don't

expect the team to suddenly consult with the fans on transactions and how the team is going to be run. You can be open and honest and explain your rationale. That's about all you are going to get.

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Vintage 2

28 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

- Keep Bruce until the end of the season. Start looking for a long term replacement not a short term disaster fill in. Be straight with Bruce. Let him know how much

he's liked by the organization and fans. But he will not be renewed. But do the best with what he's got.

- I couldn't lower ticket prices for the exception of certain fan centric events where I'd have discount tickets, free merch, deals on food and drink, etc.

- Get security to understand the concept of discretion, and order.  However the idiot with the trumpet we might need to have some words with him.

- Try to get trades done by the deadline. I would like to see hockey trades so if we give up something of value we have to get value back.

- Move pieces that don't work, retain salary if need to get younger, even it if means 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks. Try and salvage what you can.

- Related to security, I would try to get sections like the Larschieders, or University groups of supporters. People that would be loud, and make Rogers Arena a fun place.

- Make it a mandate that the teams goal is a cup. It won't happen overnight. But short term goals like just make the playoffs are not a part of the long term strategy and

- Do what we can to keep cap space. Even if it means $2-3 million under the cap each year. It will help the bottom line, but best of all it gives the team options

at the deadline to pick up players that might be a fit long term. No picks for rentals. We can trade rentals for picks however if they aren't in the long term plan.

- Establish a hard working, never give up identity. One that fixes problems, even if it means taking a loss on a player. In the end it's what everyone wants. What's best

for the team.

That being said. Its up to management to make the team appealing to the fans, and create success. Having someone from the fanbase at meetings is not going to happen.

The Canucks are a private company. They have no obligation to appoint a fan representitive. Now having a season ticket holder meeting each summer, is fine. Just don't

expect the team to suddenly consult with the fans on transactions and how the team is going to be run. You can be open and honest and explain your rationale. That's about all you are going to get.

Nice, thoughtful response! However, some of the things you mention aren't really within the purview of the GM. In-arena experience is someone else's domain. I am talking more about specific player personnel maneuvers. Who do you keep? Who do you move, or consider moving? What are the short-term ambitions vis-a-vis playoffs?  I do agree that making Bruce twist in the wind has been a regrettable moment for the team and it isn't just optics.

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, BureBurrito said:

Sure...

Pull up a chair....

outside the arena.

Good idea.

The fans most of them acted with one voice after the Edmonton game.

They showed they can have class.

The chant does show management that they are very wrong about what the fans want and understand about hockey.

Fans siding with a coach of a losing team chanting in his favour is the same thing as slapping management in the face, it is a message that management got it wrong. That the fans realize it is the roster composition more than just the 2nd coach in 14 months with the same group.

9 hours ago, Canucklehead73 said:

Can't be serious... 

Most fans have no clue about running a hockey team. Worst part is half of them still believe they do...

Your right MOST don't but many do. Some of us HAVE run teams, scouted, been GM's of junior teams, been part of player selection for the Junior National team. Did/do know pro players, agents, coaches and GM's I personally have rubbed shoulders with more than a few NHL guys. I have even turned down a GM position in junior and ownership in another team.

It is not rocket science and much easier at the pro level when a person isn't trying to do so much, delegation because there is enough money.

So the presser today, a new chapter in Club Chaos.

Loads of great questions BUT none to do with if this change will change player movement.

No question in regards to if Allvin will communicate with the fans. Rutherford confirmed he has been just a spokesman and shifted question to the guy running the team.

I think most fans would want to know if this new hiring of The Bookie results in another year of status quo on the roster

Will Schenn by on the TDL table still?

Edited by ToTellTheTruth

On 1/21/2023 at 12:22 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

for the team.

This idea is not about running the team, Manchester United had fans influence their team. This is about having a voice that management might hear.

Most fans had comments in forums about odd transactions that they disagreed with before and after they happened.

Management is still saying fans do not want a rebuild of this losing culture, fans want instant wins, just wins, competitive losses, most blamed the coach for losing, and maybe go for a banner.

Sure there is a lot of chatter on forums or media shows but that can be ignored as media creating imaginary stories and forums/texts have not been read so they don't know.

They want fans to be passive and controlled 

They may read these but they can always just ignore them.

Again this is not about running the team. But maybe, just maybe having a little influence on a decision or two.