The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] With Horvat gone, who should be named the Canucks next captain?

Rate this topic

Roberts

POLL  

353 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

14 hours ago, koregen said:

We don't need a Captain at this time. It comes with a lot of pressure and outside of the rink responsibilities.

I'd like to see an "A" given to Elias Pettersson and Quinn Hughes as additions to our current great leaders. This way all of our A's can share the responsibilities of leadership, acting as role models and as a unified team working towards our common goals of success.

That's exactly what needs to happen for the time being.

Agree with several of you that taking a wait and see who might emerge is the right path to take at this time.  I love EP but we need a captain with grit, who will throw down the gloves once in awhile.  Not sure we want EP doing that.  Bo was often MIA when things started getting rough when he was out on the ice.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

What do you mean by handle the A well? It's just a letter. The kid has been the clear leader on this team since the very first game. He's been the most consistent, and is the obvious choice. He's our franchise player. 

The "C" is also just a letter. Obviously, being given a formal leadership role will add pressure and I'm curious to see how that affects his mentality and game.

25 minutes ago, Tyndall2 said:

Agree with several of you that taking a wait and see who might emerge is the right path to take at this time.  I love EP but we need a captain with grit, who will throw down the gloves once in awhile.  Not sure we want EP doing that.  Bo was often MIA when things started getting rough when he was out on the ice.  

The more I think about it the more I agree with you. If we are going to change the Culture then we need to change how we have done business over the years.

We are considered a Soft team and we have been treated as such since the last time we had a Captain who actually fought on occasion. Coincidently this is the last time I seen one of our stars stick up for themselves and Mr. Churla can attest to that, ::D

I always thought Bo, Hank and Nazzy would have been much better off if they were left to what they do best without the burden of leading a group even though they didn't have an ounce of aggression in their personality at all. 

Leading a team to war takes a lot more then the ability to talk to reporters and doing charity work in the community IMHO, things get rough in a contact sport and the leaders must be able to handle themselves in all kinds of situations.

• Upvote 1

Give it to Kuzmenko. At least the post game interviews would be entertaining rather than the vanilla pat answers. That said I'd be fine with all A's for the balance of the season. At this point my choice would be Miller. At least he has some fire and doesn't candy coat bad games in post game.

27 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

I don't understand the Miller hate.

So he's had a couple "lazy" games.

This is by far his worst season in Vancouver and he's still on pace for 30 goals.

It's just popular to shit on JT.

Yeah I agree, in the big picture he is the least of our worries. We are in the midst of changing the culture of this team and I don't see him as part of the country club we are trying to rid ourselves of. We shall see in the next while what management thinks of him.

6 hours ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

This is by far his worst season in Vancouver and he's still on pace for 30 goals.

Just resentment. His presence on the ice is a constant reminder that he cost us Bo. And the attitude and lazy back checks don't help. With Bo leaving, we lose not only his goals, but his leadership and character.

I had a similar resentment to Myers for Tanev, and Sbisa for Hamhuis, not gonna lie.

It's tough to swallow, but JT can go a long way to making fans forget what they just lost by playing a complete game

Edited by DSVII

6 hours ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

People here have very short memories.

I for one remember going to this game LAST spring while we were making our late season charge....less than 12 months ago....and watching JT Miller single handedly put the team on his back to win the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

He’s expected to score 100points after last season. He signed the large deal for long term. He was playing well last year but with new contract he is just playing now with no motivation. Horvat was opposite. He is playing to cash in and get paid more than JT. Once Horvat is signed his play will dip because like Miller he will be satisfied with the pay day. 

On 1/31/2023 at 8:48 AM, Tyndall2 said:

Bo was never the right captain, neither were Sedin or Naslund. As much as I love these guys, I want a captain who is responsible and has some bite to his game. 

Petey isn't going to knock many out, but this kid literally hates to lose. 

• Wat 2