The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Saturday January 21 2023 - Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers - 7pm PT/10pm ET - Vancouver

Rate this topic

OldFaithfulCap

3 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

Bruce is a class act.

The team is obviously deflated. I'm expecting another tough game against the offensively talented Oilers.

Hope for BB's sake the boys get a win as this is likely his last game behind the Canuck bench.

Once he's fired, I hope Bo is traded asap too, as he will become the 1 central focus of the zoo that is the media covering the Vancouver Canucks. Then from there, move out what assets we can in Boeser, Garland and Schenn and see how bad we finish the season, with our sights on winning the draft lottery.

This season began with so much optimism and now here we find ourselves in utter turmoil. This season can't come to a close soon enough for us nuckleheads!

Though I want him gone, I agree completely 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

Bruce is a class act.

The team is obviously deflated. I'm expecting another tough game against the offensively talented Oilers.

Hope for BB's sake the boys get a win as this is likely his last game behind the Canuck bench.

Once he's fired, I hope Bo is traded asap too, as he will become the 1 central focus of the zoo that is the media covering the Vancouver Canucks. Then from there, move out what assets we can in Boeser, Garland and Schenn and see how bad we finish the season, with our sights on winning the draft lottery.

This season began with so much optimism and now here we find ourselves in utter turmoil. This season can't come to a close soon enough for us nuckleheads!

Then they'll be left with toxic miller and a list of players who will want out in the near future

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Muttley said:

At this point, firing him would be a mercy on him.

Bring in Tocchet or whoever they wanna bring in. Let's see where this goes. This ship isn't getting turned around in a quick order barring a miracle.

This could become the return of the late 90's, the darkest years of Canucks hockey.

But we shouldn't forget that it's darkest before the dawn.

The late 90's dark years laid the foundation for the brightest 15 years of the Canucks history where we've made the playoff 11 times, won 7 division titles, 2 President's trophies, 1 SCF appearance, produced a Hart trophy winner, 2 Lester B. Pearson winners, 2 Art Ross trophy winners, William Jennings award, and one Selke winner.

• Cheers 3
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

Bruce is a class act.

Yeah, I was optimistic about this season as well, given how well we finished last season.

A successful organization runs seamless from the ownership to management to coaching down to the players. The turmoil was brought on by none other than JR himself, constantly making distrusting remarks about the coaches and the players through unnecessary media interviews.

No wonder we are in this turmoil given who is at the helm of the hockey operations and what he has been doing thus far.

My guess is that as long as JR is at the helm, we will suck. But sucking may not be a bad thing if we can draft good players and sell off assets for good returns.

In fact, JR may have been the perfect hire, this man will lead us into the rebuild and when he's let go in a couple of seasons, I hope the next guy we hire can take us to the promise land.

The next era will be led by another Swede, Petey, much like Nazzy led us out of the dark years. But this time, we have a centerman whose game is much more complete than Nazzy's.

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to the end of the management/coach fiasco. I really like Bruce as a player's coach, and believe there are teams and years where his style is most successful. His tenure with the Canucks didn't give him one of those teams. A coach has basically two assignments; establish good systems, and get the most out of your players. I don't think he did either remarkably well, but I also believe that rather than having a 'team' to work with, he had a bunch of fair to good to very good players that don't gel as a team. Some of that I put on Horvat. Just like I think BB is too soft on the players, I also think Horvat is too soft/not the right guy for this team. I also have little respect for his extra effort this year, just because it's a contract year. So many times last year I was so pissed at his floating. BB is obviously gone, and I hope, for a decent return, Horvat goes as well. Then take the A away from OEL and make QH and EP the assistants. They have a lot to learn as leaders, but I believe they would both rise to the challenge.  Appoint a Captain later.

JR and Alvine have made some mistakes, but given what they had to work with, players and cap, they've also made some good moves. I disagree with how JR has handled the coaching issue, but I also blame the leak he has in the room that has had Friedman et al sensationalizing the whole thing. The media has made this way bigger than it needed to be. It was the right thing for management to secure another coach before they got rid of the current one. Sure, they could have promoted one of the assistants on an interim basis, but if you have no faith in them either, why would you do that? Over the years, when I knew I was letting a senior manager go, I always ensured I was looking for who I considered to be a better replacement for who my team of employees was at the time, hoping the new guy or gal would get better production from them. JR/PA have done that. JRs media methodology was poor, but the media's unrelenting attention made it worse.

I don't know a lot about Tocchet, but I'm hoping, because I love the Canucks, he's the right guy with the right system, for this team at this time. Going into the trade deadline and by the end of summer we'll know if management has the smarts and the balls to make the moves necessary to make us true contenders some time over the next 3 years as JR suggests is possible.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1