The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) List of players who could pull a Hamhuis for us.

What impact players who still have prime years ahead of them , could sign with us?

I don't think this fanbase fully appreciated Dan Hamhuis sighing a home town discount here and coming here just because he's from here. And it wasn't just a good gesture from him. Making the move when he did opened up business opportunities for him and his retirement. He's no fool. I think players that completely forget about where they are from overlook this. It was a win/win for him and the team.

Joe Sakic and Ryan Nugent Hopkins are from Burnaby and they might as well be from another planet.

Anyway , the list.

Connor Bedard

Bowen Byram

Who else 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

10 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

What impact players who still have prime years ahead of them , could sign with us? the list.

Connor Bedard

Bowen Byram

Allvin says, "not Swedish, so inte bra" ("no bueno" in Swedish).

Joke aside, why would good young FA's with aspirations to win want to sign here, and would we even have cap to fit anyone?  Myers/ Boeser/ Garland/ OEL/ Pearson/ Miller are eating up around half our cap space.  

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

Dont forget the Canucks were trending in a positive direction when Hamhuis signed

Good point. 

This organization is a shadow of its former self.  How ownership has allowed this club to get to this point, with the resources and community support they have is beyond any of us I suspect?

• There it is 1

24 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

Dont forget the Canucks were trending in a positive direction when Hamhuis signed

Yup, we were a good team then and it's no surprise players may have found it an appealing landing spot

We're a circus now, the only players who'll really find us appealing sooner than later are those looking to land an NHL contract or those looking for ice time and opportunity 

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

Hamhuis signed here as a UFA.

Bedard will reach UFA in what... 2033?  Byram would be a little earlier in 2029 if my math is right.

Hopefully it doesn't take that long to turn this ship around.

Isn’t it UFA after seven years from draft age?  So Bedard would be 2030, no?  

50 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Isn’t it UFA after seven years from draft age?  So Bedard would be 2030, no?  

Turns out, yes.  "An NHL player becomes an unrestricted free agent when his contract runs out and he has either accrued seven seasons or is 27 years of age or older."

My math was based on the 27 year old rule.  Still, my point stands.  I would prefer the Canucks not adopt a strategy of waiting for a 17 year old to reach UFA status.  Although it may take that long to finally shed all these stupid long-term contracts.

• There it is 1

I'd do Fabbro and Sissons for Boeser (I know it's not a signing but both those guys are from BC, and Fabbro's a pending RFA so close enough).
Sissons would really help our PK and 3rd C while signed with term, and Fabbro could become something (and we could do worse than our current blueline).  Preds could always use scoring (or alternatively we buy if they follow through on rebuilding), and we can use the freed cap.

Other BC players who might move could be Johansen (if we somehow find a taker for Miller and remain respectable while Nashville falls off, maybe he'll want to come home?), Reinhart (Panthers aren't doing that well lately, only short term contract left) and Brendon Dillon (2 years term left, physical but LD; could always be our shutdown guy if for some reason he wants to leave the Jets... and come here).

Edited by Phil_314
  • elephant 1

2 hours ago, goalie13 said:

Hamhuis signed here as a UFA.

Bedard will reach UFA in what... 2033?  Byram would be a little earlier in 2029 if my math is right.

Hopefully it doesn't take that long to turn this ship around.

It wont surprise me at all if it takes till 2029 to turn things around and 2033 wouldn't be that much of a shock either really. 

3 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

I'd do Fabbro and Sissons for Boeser (I know it's not a signing but both those guys are from BC, and Fabbro's a pending RFA so close enough).
Sissons would really help our PK and 3rd C while signed with term, and Fabbro could become something (and we could do worse than our current blueline).  Preds could always use scoring (or alternatively we buy if they follow through on rebuilding), and we can use the freed cap.

Other BC players who might move could be Johansen (if we somehow find a taker for Miller and remain respectable while Nashville falls off, maybe he'll want to come home?), Reinhart (Panthers aren't doing that well lately, only short term contract left) and Brendon Dillon (2 years term left, physical but LD; could always be our shutdown guy if for some reason he wants to leave the Jets... and come here).

Would Nashville do that though?

4 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Would Nashville do that though?

They've always been a score by committee kind of team.  Before this season, Brock's scored at or reach a 23-goal pace, at minimum (max of 29 and that was in only 62 games).  Behind Forsberg and Nino, Brock would probably be the 3rd most productive goal scorer under the right circumstances (guys like Duchene/ Granlund/ Johansen/ Parssinen are more playmakers and he can feed off their passes).  This season they're also currently 27th in goals/ game, ahead of only the lowly Jackets, Hawks, Coyotes, Canadiens and Ducks who are more Bedard than playoffs so there's reason to believe they could really use Brock's services (even if they don't want to make the playoffs now Brock could be useful in the future, since he has term left). 

They COULD continue to run it back and rely on grinders, solid defense, Josi and Saros to be the backbone of their identity, but they aren't getting any younger and hopefully wouldn't want to see their stars' greatness go to waste without at least trying to address their Achilles Heel (goals for).  Fabbro's also only a 3rd pair guy for them at this point, and Sissons has been up and down the lineup (they're stacked up the middle with Glass - Johansen - Parssinen as their 1-2-3 but even Glass is primarily a playmaker) so I think it stands to reason that a 3rd pair RHD and a Swiss Army Knife player who's hot and cold offensively in Sissons in exchange for Boeser yields high return upside for them on offense, while we could really use the PK help that Sissons would bring as a PK 1 guy for them, and we could use RHD help regardless.  I'd think it's a win-win but feel free to state why you disagree (Garland could be an alternative trade target if it's cap hit that you think that would cause them to feel apprehensive). 

Edited by Phil_314
  • Upvote 1

On 1/21/2023 at 12:22 PM, goalie13 said:

My math was based on the 27 year old rule.  Still, my point stands.  I would prefer the Canucks not adopt a strategy of waiting for a 17 year old to reach UFA status.  Although it may take that long to finally shed all these stupid long-term contracts.

7 years till Bedard is UFA

7 years till Miller's contract is up

Patrick Alvin.....Thinking Think GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

• Haha 3
  • There it is 1