The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What happened to this organization?

Rate this topic

SlyZen16

12 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

My brother has done work for the Aquilinis and was always treated well.  Wasn’t Frankie though. 

I just don’t see how this “Aqualini is the boogeyman” discourse is productive at all.   Feels like a carry over from the “Benning is the devil” narrative where he was responsible for the rain in Vancouver and anything good that happened was someone else’s doing.

And I think it’s all just a roundabout way of complaining about the rebuild that wasn’t. 

It isn't and it's all speculation driven by media and fans who need an easy scapegoat.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1
  • There it is 1

11 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

My brother has done work for the Aquilinis and was always treated well.  Wasn’t Frankie though. 

I just don’t see how this “Aqualini is the boogeyman” discourse is productive at all.   Feels like a carry over from the “Benning is the devil” narrative where he was responsible for the rain in Vancouver and anything good that happened was someone else’s doing.

And I think it’s all just a roundabout way of complaining about the rebuild that wasn’t. 

Duly noted, however it is anecdotal evidence. A lot of those who did work for this ownership group would disagree maybe that even includes our head coach.

It has a chance to be productive. If they refuse to treat their employees with dignity and respect, hopefully it convinces Canucks fans and the general public at large to stop patronizing their businesses.

You are correct in this regard, I wouldn't really give a flying **** about their ***tty business practices if we had a successful up and coming team. I don't particularly care who the owner is whether it be a Russian oligarch or a wealthy sheikh, as long as they are willing to do right by the fans and give us a a chance at seeing a Cup win. At present I don't see us ever winning a Cup as long as the team is run by this owner, unless we see a drastic shift in the way they have run this team so far.

• There it is 3

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

I understand what you're saying - even agreeing with most of it, but the reality IS that he has owned the team since 2006. That includes all of the successful playoff runs.

You can't just cherry pick what you want to count as evidence. He has WITHOUT A DOUBT been through the most recent highs and lows of this team.

Successful when Gillis was GM only.  And that core was Burke and Nonis.  Gillis followed the Aquilin retool the supporting cast at the expense of futures very well.  But it’s a short term plan.  Any winning window will shut quickly. 

25 minutes ago, stawns said:

It isn't and it's all speculation driven by media and fans who need an easy scapegoat.

Not all speculation though.  Both Nonis and Gillis commented about Aquilini’s insistence on his plan being followed.  And when both refused, they were fired.  

• There it is 1

32 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'll tell you what's happened to this organization. They finally hired some management that doesn't care about feelings and pleasing the owner and fans, and their only goal is to win a Cup for Vancouver. 

Finally

I agree, I think they gave BB one last hurrah to see what he could do. Unfortunately, he was left with the same "Country Club" crew that has been here for decades. The same will happen with Bo, as he is the last part of that Club too.

I look forward to the what is being brought in as it truly will reset this losing culture we have had to withstand for decades.

Loved what Bo and Bruce brought, but nice is not what brings you championships. The Sedins showed us that more then a decade ago. 

The group that is being brought in, knows what it takes to win a championship, as they have the hardware to prove it.

Looking forward to what we have after the necessary changes are made.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nux_win said:

What happened to this team?  Not much.  We're a mediocre team that wants to be a good team.  In fact we expect to be a good team and when it turned out not to be true we started tripping over our egos.  We're not the laughing stock of the league, it's just normal high pressure professional sports stuff.  We're perhaps the punching bag for TSN, and a few other organizations, but that's nothing new.  Yes, there's some sloppiness going on in the coaching and player turnover but that's not new either.  It's all a tempest in a teacup as far as I'm concerned. 

It's a good way to sell advertising to keep everyone riled up.

Go Canucks Go!

Don't even try to blame the media for this one.  If this was normal, everyone would still be talking about McDavid and Matthews.  The ENTIRE hockey community (every fanbase of every single team) is looking at us with complete disdain.  Canucks have actually been receiving praise from everyone - it's the organization that's getting ridiculed.  I can't believe you're describing what's happened here as everyday sloppiness.  In ten years we have sunk to being probably the most toxic organization in the NHL.  Nobody is going to want to join us now 

18 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Don't even try to blame the media for this one.  If this was normal, everyone would still be talking about McDavid and Matthews.  The ENTIRE hockey community (every fanbase of every single team) is looking at us with complete disdain.  Canucks have actually been receiving praise from everyone - it's the organization that's getting ridiculed.  I can't believe you're describing what's happened here as everyday sloppiness.  In ten years we have sunk to being probably the most toxic organization in the NHL.  Nobody is going to want to join us now 

Hyperbolic much?  GCG!

This is the culmination of the decline in the standards and culture of the org driven by ownership. When they stepped in to redirect the course of this franchise in 2013 and 2017 to suit their needs.

You can even say the canary in the coal mine was 2008-09 with Nonis.

2 hours ago, Dazzle said:

People are hellbent on hating people without actually separating what they did or didn't do, so I'm not expecting rationality at all.

The people who are hellbent on absolving ownership of this are also the same people claiming JR and Tocchet are the incarnation of Satan. But FA has his part to play in this too. A rather large one as the owner approving all moves.

I'm not disagreeing with your statement. It just goes both ways. 

• Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, DSVII said:

The people who are hellbent on absolving ownership of this are also the same people claiming JR and Tocchet are the incarnation of Satan. But FA has his part to play in this too. A rather large one as the owner approving all moves.

Agreed.  FA had every opportunity to fire JR as soon as it became clear he was unwilling to conduct himself like a professional.  He instead chose to allow Rutherford to disgrace the franchise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EdgarM said:

I agree, I think they gave BB one last hurrah to see what he could do. Unfortunately, he was left with the same "Country Club" crew that has been here for decades. The same will happen with Bo, as he is the last part of that Club too.

I look forward to the what is being brought in as it truly will reset this losing culture we have had to withstand for decades.

Loved what Bo and Bruce brought, but nice is not what brings you championships. The Sedins showed us that more then a decade ago. 

The group that is being brought in, knows what it takes to win a championship, as they have the hardware to prove it.

Looking forward to what we have after the necessary changes are made.

That's a good positive take. Really, we all just need to accept that this isn't improving anytime soon. Definitely time for a culture reset. Weather or not this is the tipping point remains to be seen.

Edited by rekker
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

F*** the Canucks.  Anyone who still supports the organization is trying to defend the way management treated Boudreau like hot garbage.

Hey, I don't like the way Boudreau was treated either.  I never said anything to support the way he was treated.  That was indeed a mistake by management.  There is some middle ground between making a mistake and being the most toxic organization in the entire NHL.  I really don't think that we're the laughing stock of the league, that's just in our own heads.  Most other teams and other fans don't really care what happens here.  I was just trying to make the point that people are way over-reacting.  And of course this sells advertising.  So of course the media is going to pour gasoline on the tire fire. 

Calm down everyone, it's just a coaching change.  It most certainly could have been handled better, but it's time to get past that and try to establish some stability.  A lot of fans seem to get more fun out of hating on the Canucks than cheering for them.  I mean if that's what people want out of it then fine, but I don't want any part of that.  TSN gleefully points out any problems with the Canucks and kicks them when they're down at any chance they get (it plays well to their main market) and too many of our "fans" follow suit just because they've seen it on TV.  They made a mistake, let's fix it and move on.  They've made many mistakes but let's learn what we can and move forward.  I'm not defending management, I'm just trying to stay positive in trying times.  So please don't get mad at me for still wanting to win.  I don't see how hating on the Canucks helps anything.  GCG!

• Wat 1
  • elephant 1

11 minutes ago, nux_win said:

Hey, I don't like the way Boudreau was treated either.  I never said anything to support the way he was treated.  That was indeed a mistake by management.  There is some middle ground between making a mistake and being the most toxic organization in the entire NHL.  I really don't think that we're the laughing stock of the league, that's just in our own heads.  Most other teams and other fans don't really care what happens here.  I was just trying to make the point that people are way over-reacting.  And of course this sells advertising.  So of course the media is going to pour gasoline on the tire fire. 

Calm down everyone, it's just a coaching change.  It most certainly could have been handled better, but it's time to get past that and try to establish some stability.  A lot of fans seem to get more fun out of hating on the Canucks than cheering for them.  I mean if that's what people want out of it then fine, but I don't want any part of that.  TSN gleefully points out any problems with the Canucks and kicks them when they're down at any chance they get (it plays well to their main market) and too many of our "fans" follow suit just because they've seen it on TV.  They made a mistake, let's fix it and move on.  They've made many mistakes but let's learn what we can and move forward.  I'm not defending management, I'm just trying to stay positive in trying times.  So please don't get mad at me for still wanting to win.  I don't see how hating on the Canucks helps anything.  GCG!

We are the laughingstock of the NHL.  So much of what you said can be disproven if you just put minimal effort to see what other fanbases have to say about this.  Check out any hockey forum.  Any hockey YT channel.  Any subreddit.  Fans from rival teams are legitimately upset with Rutherford and feel bad for Canucks fans.

Clearly you don't think what the organization and management did was that egregious.  That's why you're part of the tiny minority still willing to support them.  I'm mad at you because you're trying to brush aside one of the most disgraceful moments in Canucks history.  Because you want to just move on from this even though it hasn't even been 24 hours.

43 minutes ago, nux_win said:

Jason Chan is that you? Pathetic 

• RoughGame 3

5 minutes ago, ABNucksfan said:

Jason Chan is that you? Pathetic 

I get it that you're upset but maybe you don't need to take it out on others.  And if you do feel the need to take it out on others, why me and Jason?  Shouldn't you be mad at someone who was actually involved in the decision?  Both of us actually said that we didn't like the way it was handled.  That isn't enough hatred and vitriol for you?  I don't get your comment other than we aren't hating on the Canucks enough to satisfy you (and there's a lot wrong with that).   

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, DSVII said:

I don't think anyone can absolve ownership at all. They definitely have a role in this, just as much as there is a role for JR.

We can talk about the bad business ethics that Aquilini has engaged in, which is indefensible. Yet we cannot talk about his role in team ownership without acknowledging that he had owned the team preceding 2006 (2006 was when he bought the last half of the team).

Therefore, as much as he has a role in messing up the team now, he was also part of the reason why we did so well too (much earlier). As critical as I am about Gillis, he had a major role in spearheading the modernization of the facilities, which Aquilini accepted. Gillis also introduced sleep doctors into the players' schedules (didn't work as well as planned) and advocating for better travel schedules, in addition to the creation of the farm team.

Back in those days, anything that the GM wanted, it seemed Aquilini was willing to do it. Later on, people forgot all that and suddenly called him a cheap owner (lol). We cannot exclude evidence in favour of pushing a narrative that Aquilini is a bad owner.

I put a lot of emphasis against Gillis because the good parts were usually remembered. The bad parts were forgotten or played down in significance. Yet there was no doubt that he did good things. He had to, otherwise the team couldn't have gone as far as it did. It was the stuff afterwards that showed how bad Gillis was at other parts of his job as GM.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Like 1