The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Bruce Boudreau, Trent Cull; name Rick Tocchet as head coach, Adam Foote as assistant coach, Sergei Gonchar as defensive development coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Is anyone else ready for this over-sensationalization of Bruce to stop? It was crappy what happened, but there's that can be done about it now but to move on.

still pretty pissed at management but giving tocchett a chance, but seems like a hire just because there buddies and it really doesnt make sense with his coaching record and my god he better spruce him self up for interviews, on par with jim benning so far.

13 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

image.jpeg.47ce47cff2914dd579ece5931121972f.jpeg

“It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, filling the empty nets that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule.”

• Wat 1

2 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

“It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, filling the empty nets that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule.”

The Coyotes shared this picture on their Twitter account in honour of Loui  Eriksson's 1000th game tonight : r/hockey

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Is anyone else ready for this over-sensationalization of Bruce to stop? It was crappy what happened, but there's nothing that can be done about it now but to move on.

There is something to be done and that is to fire JR and his cronies. 

Let also not forget the whole Pearson thing either. 

22 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I know there’s been a lot of talk about our “zoom coach,” but didn’t they say Gonchar would be with the team in-person for roughly ten days out of every month? I think the online options are more about the players having access to his coaching even when he’s not physically with the team, rather than him doing his whole job virtually.

Although a hologram coach would be pretty cool. Or maybe they could fit the whole team with VR headsets for practices. Could be some very cutting edge, innovative use of tech. Gillis eat your heart out. :lol:

Where does he live? Who is paying for the travel and hotels? How do they figure what days? Schedule only at home or anywhere?

Hologram coach then hologram team with real hitting?

1 minute ago, 24K PureCool said:

There is something to be done and that is to fire JR and his cronies. 

Let also not forget the whole Pearson thing either. 

I hope we hear lots of "Bruce, there it is" chants at home games, especially when we lose.  These upcoming three games in 4 days might be the easiest teams we could have for that stretch. but the way thing are going, more losses would not be surprising.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Wins above replacement indicate that Tocchet is slightly underachieving his previous team's true talent level in terms of points per season per Dom Luszczyszyn's model per Drance (kind of have to rely on him for this casue those number are pay walled). 

So concerns over Tocchet's coaching abilities is warranted. We will see. 

Tocchet will have 36 games with this team. That said we all expect major roster changes. I am not worried about the win/losses during this time. As a tanker I prefer a #5 draft or better. My interest during these 36 games will be how the coaches establish a team identity that stands up in NHL play. Rather than the final score I will be looking from shift to shift and how the TOI is distributed.  

By April I would like to see a much younger roster and a team that tries to execute a solid 200' game. 

Edited by Boudrias
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Kragar said:

I hope we hear lots of "Bruce, there it is" chants at home games, especially when we lose.  These upcoming three games in 4 days might be the easiest teams we could have for that stretch. but the way thing are going, more losses would not be surprising.

i hate the way the BB situation got handled, but this isnt on tocchet would be a pretty shitty thing to do, hasnt even coached a game for the nucks. start a JR/PA Jeer

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Tocchet will have 36 games with this team. That said we all expect major roster changes. I am not worried about the win/losses during this time. As a tanker I prefer a #5 draft or better. My interest during these 36 games will be how the coaches establish a team identity that stands up in NHL play. Rather than the final score I will be looking from shift to shift and how the TOI is distributed.  

Yeah I ain't gonna hold the remaining games on Tocchet. That said, like you said, I hope he shit the bed the rest of the season.

Edited by 24K PureCool
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, TNucks1 said:

i hate the way the BB situation got handled, but this isnt on tocchet would be a pretty shitty thing to do, hasnt even coached a game for the nucks. start a JR/PA Jeer

Fair point.  I don't mean it as a slight on Tocchet, although I don't really want him here.  His being here or BB being gone won't change how I cheer for the team.  But JR/PA would hear the chants, hearing more proof of where fan support lies and how they effed things up.

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Very true... Lets see what Tocchet brings. 

For years, probably since at least 2011 the majority on these boards have complained about the lack of toughness, of our players...

Tbh I could care less about, what he did years ago... everyone is entitled to a second chance.

A culture change could be coming. and I for one would applaud that... 

This is my big hope too. Anything that resembles a "TEAM" that plays a full 60 minutes and sticks up for each other "no matter what" is fine by me.

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

What I think we can agree on is that Tocchet, Foote, and Gonchar had successful hockey careers. Tocchet coaching career hasn't translated well so far. Foote was fired in 2020 after head coaching in Kelowna, and Gonchar hasn't coached a bad team yet. So we'll see if the three can make a bad team into a playoff team, because so far none of them have done it yet with other teams.

I would also remind you Tocchet won 2 cups as an assistant before tackling a tough head coaching job in Arizona which ended 2 years ago. Not a lot of info to to make a solid prediction imo.