The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Bruce Boudreau, Trent Cull; name Rick Tocchet as head coach, Adam Foote as assistant coach, Sergei Gonchar as defensive development coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

That's right so the players should speak up to one another and not let the coaching staff only deal with issues. Young players especially learn through social pressure from older vets or fear of alienation from the rest of the squad so learning through intimidation or ridicule from your own teammates is much more profound than that from the coaches thus the benefit to the team if players are willing to bark at one another that's what I am saying makes sense to me as a new approach from Tocchet vs a nice guy approach BB used.

I don't know that this is EXACTLY how I would describe it lol.  But you're right in that nobody (particularly a younger player) wants their teammates to be disappointed in them.  They also probably don't particularly look forward to the "feedback" that they receive after playing poorly either.  

8 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

I also heard it on 650. 
It sounded to me like the interview was a plant and intended as damage control . 
Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy to give Rick a fair chance and think he might have the means to get this team on a better track. 
The interview sounded awfully scripted and the timing just too convenient considering the PR disaster over the last 3-4 months which peaked yesterday. 

I have no doubt jr could make 2 phone calls resulting in a segment on local radio scripted to pump up the reputation and trust in his group . 

He was described as having created and embraced a “family “ like environment in Pittsburg. Considering the turmoil and turnover here in recent weeks I just can’t see him as  the radio portrayed. 

Regardless, we will know in a relatively short time exactly how well his machine will run. 

Yeah he kinda has a blank slate with me.  Could be that people just had a lot of questions since he's so new to the team.  I'm not sure.

I wasn't actually referring to the interview specifically.  Just had a chuckle because 650 had been so positive most of the day.  Then I see some of the same people who accuse them of "starting drama/being negative" going off about his criminal history.  

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Interesting Drancer chose to leave off the end of the quote:

I said, “Listen, I watch and know what’s going on. Sometimes you need to talk to someone outside the game, just to have another person to vent on. Here’s my number.” And he really appreciated it.

Those last couple sentences kind of change the context. Trotz was speaking about having seen what Bruce was going through, feeling sympathetic, reaching out, and offering his support during a tough time.

Without that context, the quote seems like the “I watch and know what’s going on” is purely in relation to the perception and desirability of the coaching job in Vancouver.

It wasn’t.

The article clearly states earlier on that Trotz not only didn’t want the Canucks job, he didn’t want any coaching job right now. 

Barry Trotz — the biggest name and best resume on the NHL coaching market, as has been the case since the spring — had no interest in coaching the Vancouver Canucks. Or any other team, actually. Even the ones who hadn’t spent the last few months firing their head coach, bit by excruciating bit. Trotz, who called Bruce Boudreau after Vancouver made it official on Sunday, says he wants to coach again. Soon. Just not right now. He’s got a vacation to take.

Now this isn’t to say that the way things were handled in Vancouver makes this team more attractive to big name talents. It doesn’t. And Trotz was open with some of his criticisms re: the communication (or lack thereof) between JR/PA and Boudreau. But it wasn’t like Trotz was actually saying Vancouver was off his list because of what happened to Bruce. Trotz isn’t really ready to take over any coaching right now (he’s about to go on vacation), and he definitely wasn’t ready six weeks ago (when he spoke to Bruce and made those comments about not wanting to take his job).

Great post. It certainly gives the reader a bit more options ... from suggestively sinister about coaching in Vancouver to also allowing the reader to see it as more supportive of Bruce. It does matter. 

2 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Yeah he kinda has a blank slate with me.  Could be that people just had a lot of questions since he's so new to the team.  I'm not sure.

I wasn't actually referring to the interview specifically.  Just had a chuckle because 650 had been so positive most of the day.  Then I see some of the same people who accuse them of "starting drama/being negative" going off about his criminal history.  

Flippy Floppy

• There it is 1

29 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

It’s not relevant to his job. He’s not the Canucks Finance Manager. He teaches people how to put a rubber disk into mesh. 

56 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Placing bets on football in 2006, and serving a 2 year probation has literally zero bearing on his ability to coach our team.  Don’t understand the fixation myself. 

54 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Me neither.

People realize there’s players in the league that have done a lot worse right?

There is a certain segment here that view their own definition of saintliness as next to godliness

the irony is how often they refer to people as Scum etc

they talk about honor and class, without know how to exhibit the same 

• Cheers 3
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

In popular culture, nepotism is the right word. Cronyism means something different. Cronyism means lobbyists filing antitrust violations against competing corporations. 

52 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Oh so people that have critical takes contrary to your optimism are petulant child? 

You have a very 'greater than thou vibe' going on here. 

I am not gonna regenerate the reasoning behin that menu from a not insignificant group of fans. 

Let fans be the fans they want. That is the point of a forum.  

chefs special
‘greater than you vibes’ soup

irony 

1 hour ago, Kenny Powers said:

Placing bets on football in 2006, and serving a 2 year probation has literally zero bearing on his ability to coach our team.  Don’t understand the fixation myself. 

Some people take the law pretty seriously. Crime is a big deal to them. I dont happen to be one of them. But I understand why some ppl see it that way. 

1 minute ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Some people take the law pretty seriously. Crime is a big deal to them. I dont happen to be one of them. But I understand why some ppl see it that way. 

Yep. Granted. It’s just not relevant to hockey or what he was hired for. Seems better suited to white noise

On 1/23/2023 at 8:50 PM, Gawdzukes said:

someone-someone-guy

Sophomore slump. Happens to lots of guys when they come back for year two. I fully expect him to rebound?

He had better. I just changed the signs into Russian and renewed the lease on the Church of V. 

1 hour ago, 24K PureCool said:

That is the Oxford Reference Dictionary which doesn't include modern definition and usage and kind of go in depth to etymology rather than everyday usage. 

I agree with you on the traditional definition but I was being cavalier about the use of nepotism as it is defined by Google that reference the Oxford Dictionary Online which defines modern English. I ain't writing an essay here. 

This is a really stupid argument we are having. Language is weird. 

Meh, it’s probably been the best argument around here for the past few weeks…   <_<

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Craig McTavish literally killed someone and actually went to prison. He spent the next 30 years afterwards in the NHL in some capacity. 

Wow... Really?  I had never heard that about him.  There doesn't seem to be anything on his wiki page.  What happened and is there somewhere that I can read about it?