The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Bruce Boudreau, Trent Cull; name Rick Tocchet as head coach, Adam Foote as assistant coach, Sergei Gonchar as defensive development coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

14 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Wow... Really?  I had never heard that about him.  There doesn't seem to be anything on his wiki page.  What happened and is there somewhere that I can read about it?

Hired by the Canucks too a few years ago. But he spent a year in the pen. Thats time

NHL’s MacTavish Is Released After Serving One Year in Jail

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1985-05-14-sp-19126-story.html

Edited by MaxVerstappen33
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

Wow... Really?  I had never heard that about him.  There doesn't seem to be anything on his wiki page.  What happened and is there somewhere that I can read about it?

DUI involuntary manslaughter. 

https://medium.com/crimebeat/the-hockey-player-who-killed-a-woman-d4170a8a75ae

Edited by 24K PureCool
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

MacTavish spent three months of his 1 year sentence in the Essex County jail in Salem, Mass., and the rest in the Lawrence Correctional Alternative Center.

In the Salem facility, which he called a “human warehouse,” he was confined to a 5-by-8-foot cell that had no plumbing.

Just now, MaxVerstappen33 said:

MacTavish spent three months of his 1 year sentence in the Essex County jail in Salem, Mass., and the rest in the Lawrence Correctional Alternative Center.

In the Salem facility, which he called a “human warehouse,” he was confined to a 5-by-8-foot cell that had no plumbing.

Yeah think that is a true human right violation right there. 

3 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

my heart weeps. 

16 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

I think the bad part of that is not running a sports book but the part that he was fixing matches. 

Anyway I used that a bit before realizing it was a stupid argument. 

Looking at it strictly on the hockey perspective. My main dislike of this hire is purely on JR and his nepotism where Tocchet was pretty much the heir apprent sice the off season just like Allvin. There was no serious coaching search done. That does not install confidence that management hired the best coach available especially given his coaching record and underachieving win above replacement stat. 

I know it is who you know rather than what you know but to me, knowing someone should end at getting the interview rather than the job outright. 

I don't know if I agree. R.e whether JR did any coaching evaluations or went straight for Tocchet. This whole Bruce firing debacle really brought to light how little we know unless the media brings things to light, or reports their version of the story.

Not defending JR, but I feel media made the whole thing way worse by constantly adding their own judgement publicly.

That said, maybe they did interview other coaches and media simply didn't feed that to us.

Also, I don't see anywhere where it says Tocchet was fixing matches. That's a federal offense and he would have seen significant prison time if that was the case.

16 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Some are ok with his past misconduct, some aren't.  I'm not sure soap on a rope is what the players were hoping for when it comes to feeling safe in the room though.  The criminal history can't be in quotation marks.  He was convicted for a reason and belongs in prison instead of behind a bench.

He was convicted of a crime that is legal for major corporations in order to maximize money extraction from the masses and make sure government can collect taxes on it.

To me he is as much a criminal as a person who sold or smoked weed the day before it became legal.

• There it is 1

3 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

He was convicted of a crime that is legal for major corporations in order to maximize money extraction from the masses and make sure government can collect taxes on it.

To me he is as much a criminal as a person who sold or smoked weed the day before it became legal.

that's a pretty dicey code of ethics to live by.

if the government legalized prostitution tomorrow should all the pimps who've been trafficking and abusing vulnerable women be exonerated?

20 minutes ago, tas said:

if the government legalized prostitution tomorrow should all the pimps who've been trafficking and abusing vulnerable women be exonerated?

Not to take away from your concerns about Tocchet just on the matter of prostitution. 

That's a whole other can of worms. 

When it comes to trafficking, rape and sexual abuse/assault and don't think there's any room for exoneration.

Prostitution should be legalized in order to protect women since it then can be further regulated. Benefits would include increased tax revenue, the increased ability to control the spread STI and HIV, as well as reduced rates of rape and sex trafficking.

Simply put legalizing it would in due part stand against/prevent those concerns.

2 hours ago, tas said:

If... If... If.. Thats a pretty silly question in comparison to what I referenced. I don't "live by" those ethics, I evaluate a situation and make a decision based on fact and feeling. I'm a big boy able to put thought into things. 

If we were talking about prostitution then your question is valid, but just picking some other random crime and asking if it was the same situation is just silly., If youre asking me if I consider gambling as egregious or criminal as prostitution, murder, rape, kidnapping etc... then no. Because those are crimes regardless of who commits' them. Gambling is legal, and running a betting operation is legal for corporations, just not individuals. This isn't because of ethics, or legality, its about government collecting taxes pure and simple.

In fact, the NHL has gone out of their way to support legal bookies because they now generate revenue. Sportsnet employs newly titled "Sports Betting analysts" to break down the odds. So don't act like what I said is the same as what your inferring. 

No, I don't view Tocchet as a "criminal" when he did the same thing that the River Rock does. 

On 1/24/2023 at 6:03 AM, Boudrias said:

I think you are cherry picking. The 2 seasons prior to .475 were over .500. You say he did not elevate his teams which might be true based on winning % but reports from players and hockey people are positive about Tocchet. I guess the proof will be shown to us this next few months.

I do not expect this roster to turn things around dramatically this spring. What I want to see from the new coaches is a defensively sound game. Build from that. Winning teams build from the net out. I won't dump on the 2 back up tenders we have now. As back ups they would be fine IMHO. But the club is asking them to carry the load. With Demko out we see clearly what the current roster doesn't do in their own zone. If Gonchar and Foote can bring some accountability into the Canuck d-zone which is far more than just the defensemen than that is a major building block. 

JR & PA have had a year to assess and prepare for this TDL. I can only hope that they have a series of trades on the burner which will help transform our Canucks. Some of these moves, such as trading Horvat, should be transformational for the franchise. If Bo is traded I assume EP40 takes the "C". He is the future of the franchise. The players coming back to the team from trades should be 24 or younger. Tocchet has experience working with young players. He should be a fit. 

I agree with most of what you've said. My original post was about the timing and I'm still unclear on why they'd make the switch now since it will likely impact the sweeps.

I'm not clear on what trading Horvat will bring that is actually better than we already have in Horvat. That part remains to be seen.

I wonder why they re-signed JT Miller? His grit and competitiveness

Where did Miller grow up playing hockey? Pittsburgh

...and who was one of his heroes growing up? Tocchet

Tocchet will get through to Miller and we may not have seen the best of him yet. Genius move. 

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Not to take away from your concerns about Tocchet just on the matter of prostitution. 

When it comes to trafficking, rape and sexual abuse/assault and don't think there's any room for exoneration.

Prostitution should be legalized in order to protect women since it then can be further regulated. Benefits would include increased tax revenue, the increased ability to control the spread STI and HIV, as well as reduced rates of rape and sex trafficking.

Simply put legalizing it would in due part stand against/prevent those concerns.

Controversial, but I think you have a good points to support legalization of prostitution.

What would be the potential negatives of legalization in Canada?

I think Netherlands and maybe Germany have legalized it? I don't hear too much about those countries having any major problems. No girl is going to work in the sex industry when there is good life to be had through other means. The girls that go in it, well the government might as well tax them and protect them from crimes. Could also help with controlling the spread of STIs as you said.

4 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

well duh. 

the point is, the vast majority of those weed dealers were doing a lot more nefarious shit than selling weed.