The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Bruce Boudreau, Trent Cull; name Rick Tocchet as head coach, Adam Foote as assistant coach, Sergei Gonchar as defensive development coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

I know squat about twitter. 
Any thoughts on why his account is suddenly deleted? 
Content?

New start?

I'm guessing Tocchet had some embarrassing stuff on his Twitter account, which made sense to delete it entirely.

But we've seen other staff members delete their previous tweets before, which is common when someone is hired by an NHL team and they have a Twitter account. For example: Ryan Biech, Rachel Doerrie, Chris Faber.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, stawns said:

True enough, they do.

I'm very much enjoying and, though I'd rather not pay to watch hockey, it's a much needed spirit lifter and I still get to support my team.

If they weren't playing well, I wouldn't have done it, but watching podz and hogz gaining confidence and becoming difference makers is worth it.........not to mention the other prospects as well.

I think all those who said the prospect cupboard is bare should sign up.

For sure, well said. There is a lot to like on our farm right now. I've been watching AHL hockey since the manitoba moose days...now that was hard to find on TV back then lol. Utica was fun to watch because of the crowds, they come out and completely supported the team. To be honest most years our AHL club has always performed above 500 and barely ever misses the playoffs. A lot of early exits, but some good ones exist too. Cory Schnieder taking us all the way to the Calder cup finals with the Moose, same with Markstrom in Utica...that was some fun hockey to watch.

• There it is 1

1 minute ago, Gurn said:

It is interesting to see the amount of folk that can 'look past' the bad stuff, as they feel the results are worth it.

Likely many of them would be fine with the team hiring coach Quenville, as all that "bad stuff' doesn't matter to them as much as wining.

Probably a few psychiatric papers written on the difference of where people place ethics.

Well respectfully.  We've already hired Tallon with his issues.  Tallon who in Chicago had a hand in hiring the guy Quenneville hid SA reports for.  If we're hiring a guy who plead guilty to sports betting and was investigated for potentially match fixing games he coached (while claiming adamantly that he didn't), then really, aren't we just splitting hairs here on what is or is not acceptable?

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I'm guessing Tocchet had some embarrassing stuff on his Twitter account, which made sense to delete it entirely.

But we've seen other staff members delete their previous tweets before, which is common when someone is hired by an NHL team and they have a Twitter account. For example: Ryan Biech, Rachel Doerrie, Chris Faber.

Over/Under recommendations?

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

So...you weren't aware of what he posted regularly then?

K.

It's probably more apt that the team that fired the anthem singer for covid protesting told Tocchet to delete his pro convoy conspiracy laden account full of anger and hostility so as to start in Vancouver with a clean slate.

A view that differs from yours automatically is "full of anger and hostility". 

Gotcha 

Just now, Maginator said:

Fanbase & media is so toxic we can't even give people a chance.

I'm not big on the hire myself, but going through a person's Twitter likes to try and cancel them because A] We've already made up our minds about a person and want to find something to justify ourselves, and B] we can't handle diversity of opinion here, is lame af.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1
  • There it is 1

4 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Terrible human?  

Wow, what's up with judging people you have never met or interacted with? 

How about running an illegal sports gambling ring while he working as an assistant coach under Gretzky. He plead guilty and got two years probation. That was enough to get Pete Rose banned from the MLB and the Hall of Fame.

• There it is 3

24 minutes ago, VforVasili said:

Agree 100%. 

In some ways I am also glad Bruce left this team as a beloved legend, rather than sticking around long enough for us to fail in the playoffs in future years and become hated for it. 

He wasn’t exactly known for playoff success elsewhere. Better to work on a defensive systems with a new coach. Will reserve my opinions until I see what they do with the team. 

Yup. And even then I'm not remotely expecting immediate, positive results. This roster, as constructed, will continue to struggle IMO. Particularly as we won't be attempting to run and gun away our mistakes (which probably lead to more wins than we've deserved this year, uncommon as they were).

2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Appreciate your insight.

21 minutes ago, John.Tallhouse said:

Honestly, why would we not just ride out the year with Bruce? We’re losing so well right now. Even if we don’t get Bedard, surely we’ll get some nice pieces to build with. Can’t wait to go on a 15 win streak and end up 5 points out of a playoff spot :blink:

I think they want to finish assessing what they have before the trade deadline. Who is on board and who isn't.

• There it is 2

Just now, 204CanucksFan said:

How about running an illegal sports gambling ring while he working as an assistant coach under Gretzky. He plead guilty and got two years probation. That was enough to get Pete Rose banned from the MLB and the Hall of Fame.

People change. That was almost 20 years ago.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1