The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Bruce Boudreau, Trent Cull; name Rick Tocchet as head coach, Adam Foote as assistant coach, Sergei Gonchar as defensive development coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Like most people, I really like Bruce Boudreau and how honestly and solemnly he does his job. The results obviously didn’t come so I can understand the result we have here.

Rick Tocchet. Haven’t really followed his career after his playing days. His record isn’t great but coaching Arizona seldom does you any favors. People say he is tough and demanding - we’ll see. And I really look forward to the new chapter. Foote and Gonchar both have my respect as great players, like Tocchet. I hope they all have the tools we need to get the team on track.

Lastly, how on earth are such underachievers like Mike Yeo and Jason King still here? Absolutely nothing against these guys personally, but the team has definitely not improved its performance under these guys. Trent Cull, I really dunno, his contribution was not noticeable. Actually noticed him for the first time behind the bench tonite against Edmonton. I was like who is this guy still in Movember mode :lol:

You give a man a screwdriver while other teams have power tools and expect him to make hay..I lost all respect. Playing with 2nd 3rd string goalies..and a crap D, I will miss Bruce. He was such a lovable person and I got to meet him. Let he new regime make a mockery of this team and hire their clowns for the circus.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I don't want tocchet either

I'd take Trotz over a lot of options right now. At least we'd have a system, and he's able to coach. However I think he still wants a break from coaching. He can pick and choose the team he really wants to work with.

• There it is 1

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

As I've said, I loathe tocchet, absolutely hate him.  But, if he can come in and implement a strong system and get this team playing some halfway decent defense then I'll swallow some of that loathing. 

I want my team to do well

Pretty much where I am.

Love Bruce as a person but he wasn't coaching this team to play with structure or puck support, regardless of what I may think of the roster. He had to go.

If Tocchet and Co. can come in and get them to do so/help sort out the guys who won't, I'll set aside how I feel about him personally, and cheer on the team and their improved play.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 2

Not the first time this franchise has done a hockey legend dirty. Everybody remembers how this ownership treated Trevor Linden. Just a horrible way to treat classy and respectful hockey people. Such a embarrassing time to be a fan. 

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, Canuck You said:

You give a man a screwdriver while other teams have power tools and expect him to make hay..I lost all respect. Playing with 2nd 3rd string goalies..and a crap D, I will miss Bruce. He was such a lovable person and I got to meet him. Let he new regime make a mockery of this team and hire their clowns for the circus.

Ask yourself why this might happen…especially when mgmt initially indicated off the hop this club was not good enough to compete in the playoffs, devoid of top drawer prospects and picks…and all the while we’re in an amazing draft year.  It’s about finding opportunity through decomposition. Ugly and smelly, but like a dying salmon at the end of its spawning cycle, new life will form from the decay. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Heretic said:

So, the Canucks fire a head coach with a winning lifetime coaching record (0.575 )  and replace him with one that has a losing record (0.406)?

376083_cheetoh_that-makes-perfect-sense-

What ever it takes to rid ourselves of the Country Club atmosphere once and for all. Bo gone will be the last piece to go.