The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Bruce Boudreau, Trent Cull; name Rick Tocchet as head coach, Adam Foote as assistant coach, Sergei Gonchar as defensive development coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Some so-called fans are jumping off the Canuck ship? Okay, well, see you later when the Canucks are good again. I'm not going anywhere, I love this team and I'm happy that things are finally starting to happen. Better days ahead.

It’s painful being a Canuck fan.  

image.gif.9bb3c8278b35e08af00e344761f01974.gif

• Like 1
  • RoughGame 1
  • There it is 1

I put the whole Boudreau saga on Aquilini.  He never wants to make a change to an important management piece unless he has a replacement fully vetted and ready to step in.  FA reportedly flew to Vegas last week to meet with Tocchet.  He's given approval and Rutherford pulled the trigger within a week.

• There it is 1

1 minute ago, EdgarM said:

What ever it takes to rid ourselves of the Country Club atmosphere once and for all. Bo gone will be the last piece to go.

Only speculating, but I’m pretty sure Hughes, Boeser, and Pettersson is part of that “country club” atmosphere.

16 minutes ago, stawns said:

As I've said, I loathe tocchet, absolutely hate him.  But, if he can come in and implement a strong system and get this team playing some halfway decent defense then I'll swallow some of that loathing. 

I want my team to do well

I'd rather watch a team that I like and respect lose 82 times a year than a team I hate win 82. 

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Some so-called fans are jumping off the Canuck ship? Okay, well, see you later when the Canucks are good again. I'm not going anywhere, I love this team and I'm happy that things are finally starting to happen. Better days ahead.

How long you been repeating that for? At least 10 Years in a row? But hey better days ahead. 

Call a spade a spade. The Canucks are the doormat of the big four North American sports leagues right now. They got some dog crap on them too. 

Edited by Zhukini

9 minutes ago, RWJC said:

I’d say we deserve to see what a real wholesale change to this team looks like and to explore other assessments.

we’ve had many many years of a roster constructed by JB. And it failed unfortunately. Let’s see what other viewpoints can bring to the table.

we may end up with a better outcome than what we are getting right now. 

It’s all good to be emotional so long as you don’t lose focus of how poor this team really has been for so long.

I would have gone with the "cheers/beer' emoji- but couldn't see giving a 'heart" or a 'there it is".

• Like 1

I am a big fan of Bruce and super sad to see him go. I get it..with the continue lost every game, mgmt had to do something. And the easiest route is to fire the coach first. In the last 8yrs, the Canucks has been a soft team to play against..bringing in gritty hard working tough guys like Tocchet and Foote might change the atmosphere and culture of the team. So I will give them the benefit of a doubt and see how they do!! Gonchar is definitely a great pick up since our D really sucks and they need some good guidance in how to play a proper defensive game. 

All the best to Bruce and I am sure another team will take him on as there aren't many great coach like him in the league anymore!! 

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, shiznak said:

Only speculating, but I’m pretty sure Hughes, Boeser, and Pettersson is part of that “country club” atmosphere.

Hughes and Petey are ppg, high minute guys who are plus layers on a team that gives up a crapload of goals.  No country club in those two.  

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Pretty much where I am.

Love Bruce as a person but he wasn't coaching this team to play with structure or puck support, regardless of what I may think of the roster. He had to go.

If Tocchet and Co. can come in and get them to do so/help sort out the guys who won't, I'll set aside how I feel about him personally, and cheer on the team and their improved play.

Agree 100%. 

In some ways I am also glad Bruce left this team as a beloved legend, rather than sticking around long enough for us to fail in the playoffs in future years and become hated for it. 

He wasn’t exactly known for playoff success elsewhere. Better to work on a defensive systems with a new coach. Will reserve my opinions until I see what they do with the team. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 2

2 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

I put the whole Boudreau saga on Aquilini.  He never wants to make a change to an important management piece unless he has a replacement fully vetted and ready to step in.  FA reportedly flew to Vegas last week to meet with Tocchet.  He's given approval and Rutherford pulled the trigger within a week.

I read Tocchet was required to give the tv network where he worked 4 weeks notice of leaving. 
If that’s true and he honoured his contract this decision was made prior to Christmas 2022.