The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is this the lowest

Rate this topic

Reibonoff

10 minutes ago, HKSR said:

If there is a coach's bump and they move up the standings, it'll be the most Canuck thing for whoever finishes 27th OA in the standings to win the draft lottery and pick Bedard.

Montreal, Ottawa, Anaheim, or Columbus would all work.  Anywhere but Chicago, Arizona, or Vancouver.

4 hours ago, DSVII said:

I think the difference here is with Benning, his issues was that he was completely out of his depth and didn't know how to run an organization. We've seen so many aspects of this organization atrophy slowly under his watch. He missed layups and made tons of unforced errors when he didn't have to. But I get that. He wasn't suited for the role. 

With JR/PA, the issue is that they should have known better. Miller I think the jury is still out, but firing the coach and appointing an interim as soon as you decide he isn't the one is Management 101. JR has done this before, the standard is higher than what I expect from Benning, and tbh, I think even Benning knew enough to fire a coach as soon as it isn't tenable (Aqulini took that power away from him in his last days).

I dunno, the conference just smacks to me of a guy whose cocky because he won two cups with Crosby and he feels he's above those norms.

I think JR and PA still has the capacity to turn this around, but it's definitely not in the direction I like. Rumor is with Bo we aren't asking for ANY picks back at all, but players. It's frustrating, they have a fanbase begging for a more patient approach. How many GMs in a Canadian market had a fanbase WISHING they took their time?

Their timeline is to turn this around in 2 years. As per the press conference. We have no draft assets and prospects to speak of , so the most they are aiming for is to top out as a wildcard team. That simply isn't good enough for me.

I think they have more competence but they are doubling down on the wrong strategic direction. At least with Benning, i can always count on the unintentional tank to give me a hope of a top 5 pick haha. 

Sad times.

A timeline of two years is short so I understand why JR had to be a bit ruthless with BB.

• elephant 1

19 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Can you quote their lies?

Call them lies or whatever you want, but there have been clear inconsistencies since JR got here:

-from day one said the team needs more structure and discipline and they'd be fine  -  absolutely nothing changed for a season and a half meaning essentially 2 FULL wasted seasons (let's face it folks, this season's done already for this club).

-said this team lacks picks/prospects in the organization then traded a 2nd for a fringe NHL'er.

-said they didn't have enough high end young defenceman in the organization and then drafted another redundant, average-sized winger

-said they wanted to get cap flexibility - then re-signed Boeser and gave JTM an untradeable career-defining contract; not to mention they're trying to sign Kuz who won't be cheap either.

-said they needed to address the defence last offseason and came back with the exact same group expecting different results 

-acknowledged they needed to improve the PK yet we sit dead last in the league in this area - this will likely be a key contributing factor as to why we miss PO yet again

-publicly went on record saying if things didn't turn around 'hard decisions' would need to be made - then they sent a couple peripheral guys to the AHL (this was months before coaching change).

-said one of the reasons they didn't make a coaching move sooner is that they didn't want to be paying 2 coaches at the same time - now they're paying THREE and the latest is the most expensive with a career losing record! 

-backed themselves into a corner with their Captain who's having a career season and is unlikely to be re-signed leaving a potential gaping hole in the lineup 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

21 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Call them lies or whatever you want, but there have been clear inconsistencies since JR got here:

-from day one said the team needs more structure and discipline and they'd be fine  -  absolutely nothing changed for a season and a half meaning essentially 2 FULL wasted seasons (let's face it folks, this season's done already for this club).

-said this team lacks picks/prospects in the organization then traded a 2nd for a fringe NHL'er.

-said they didn't have enough high end young defenceman in the organization and then drafted another redundant, average-sized winger

-said they wanted to get cap flexibility - then re-signed Boeser and gave JTM an untradeable career-defining contract; not to mention they're trying to sign Kuz who won't be cheap either.

-said they needed to address the defence last offseason and came back with the exact same group expecting different results 

-acknowledged they needed to improve the PK yet we sit dead last in the league in this area - this will likely be a key contributing factor as to why we miss PO yet again

-publicly went on record saying if things didn't turn around 'hard decisions' would need to be made - then they sent a couple peripheral guys to the AHL (this was months before coaching change).

-said one of the reasons they didn't make a coaching move sooner is that they didn't want to be paying 2 coaches at the same time - now they're paying THREE and the latest is the most expensive with a career losing record! 

-backed themselves into a corner with their Captain who's having a career season and is unlikely to be re-signed leaving a potential gaping hole in the lineup 

They wanted cap space, then were patting themselves on the back for getting within 100 dollars of capped out, 

This is definitely THEEE MOST CHAOTIC and EMBARRASSING season since the owner was convicted WAAaaay back in 1970 and the lottery wheel win but really a loss. Bye bye Perrault

All the double talk is insulting to fans