The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Organization is the joke of the NHL

Rate this topic

Past canuck fan

On 1/23/2023 at 2:31 PM, Gurn said:

Looks like a good place for this:

I want to thank all the mods, and a lot of posters.

@Vintage Canuck  Damn- the work you do- awesome!

@Deb  Hope your dad gets a few more high quality years

@Roger Neilsons Towel  An under appreciated mod, but not by me

I've had fun over the years on this site.

Learned a bunch, laughed a bunch.

however it is time for me to leave.

50 years of fandom, through way too many losses, and too few wins.

I can handle the losses-been doing that for decades.

I can handle the loss of hope, been doing that for decades too.

What I can not handle or support is how this team is being run now.

gone completely classless. 

Say one thing, do another.

Treat the coach like crap. Do nothing substantive to help the guy. Then do the worst job of firing I've seen from any place other than a 7/11 store.

continue to point the finger everywhere, except their own failure.

Can't support it; won't support it.

Take care everyone.

Hey Gurn, totally understand your pov. 
Think everybody should consider what we’ve witnessed as a cautionary tale, and at the same time, players like EP and QH are not part of the problem and deserve to be supported regardless.

I hope you change your mind and can reattach to the aspects of the club that are worthy of fandom. You don’t have allow one part to poison the others, and if a break is what you need to eventually reconnect with the club, by all means take it. 

but hope you come back as passionate as you were before.

take good care.

Edited by RWJC

• 3 months later...
On 1/23/2023 at 2:31 PM, Gurn said:

Looks like a good place for this:

I want to thank all the mods, and a lot of posters.

@Vintage Canuck  Damn- the work you do- awesome!

@Deb  Hope your dad gets a few more high quality years

@Roger Neilsons Towel  An under appreciated mod, but not by me

I've had fun over the years on this site.

Learned a bunch, laughed a bunch.

however it is time for me to leave.

50 years of fandom, through way too many losses, and too few wins.

I can handle the losses-been doing that for decades.

I can handle the loss of hope, been doing that for decades too.

What I can not handle or support is how this team is being run now.

gone completely classless. 

Say one thing, do another.

Treat the coach like crap. Do nothing substantive to help the guy. Then do the worst job of firing I've seen from any place other than a 7/11 store.

continue to point the finger everywhere, except their own failure.

Can't support it; won't support it.

Take care everyone.

Bump.

Well, I'm back.

For a few reasons.

1 J.R. has stepped way back, and is no longer undercutting his employees, players or coach.

2 The owners  are actually cutting cheques to support causes, rather than just making announcements, that make them look good.

3 Things have settled down, on my own home front. There was a lot of angst that was not hockey related, seeping into my fandom.

so 

still not sure if this coach and management group is going to be good enough, still don't like some of what they are doing; but after 50 years I can deal with that type of disappointment- I'm used to it.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Tanks a lot 1

3 minutes ago, McBackup said:

Starting the thread in the first place when the topic is already being discussed everywhere then bumping it months later probably meets your quota already.

I believe, if you look really, really, closely you will find I did not start the thread.

17 hours ago, Gurn said:

Bump.

Well, I'm back.

For a few reasons.

1 J.R. has stepped way back, and is no longer undercutting his employees, players or coach.

2 The owners  are actually cutting cheques to support causes, rather than just making announcements, that make them look good.

3 Things have settled down, on my own home front. There was a lot of angst that was not hockey related, seeping into my fandom.

so 

still not sure if this coach and management group is going to be good enough, still don't like some of what they are doing; but after 50 years I can deal with that type of disappointment- I'm used to it.

Welcome back Gurn. I have enjoyed your genuine thoughts on the team over the years. Sometime’s it’s healthy to take a step back and deal with what life throws at us. We all have deep rooted passion for this team, I think we can all agree that last year was a low point with how things were dealt. We are still here for better days ahead hopefully. 

I can hope that things on a personally level have been put behind you and the summer ahead is a fresh slate, such as the Canucks. Sending you good vibes to Powell River (I think that’s where you are at) and always appreciate your posts my Canuck friend. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Despite being ham strung wit the Cap I believe a glimmer of logic from PA. Dare i say I have some hope

Here is why I personally have some hope.

Thirty Canuck players and prospects Age 25 or under:

Stars:  Pettersson Hughes

Solid players: Beauvillier Hronek Bear

Roster players: Podkolzin Aman Studnicka  Brisebough

Good prospects: Lekkerimaki McDonough Hoglander Karlsson Klimovich Bains Hirose Johansson Silovs 2023 1st

Prospects:  d-Petey Kudryatsev Rathbone Woo McWard Sasson Raty Bloom Jurmo Forsell Kratsov

I have some high hopes for McWard, saying that probaly condems him to the life of an AHL'er. But to me he seems like he's a kid that has been coached well through his formative years. He can only improve under the guidance of Colliton. Good size/weight and has a good understandingof his position..... IMO

21 hours ago, Gurn said:

Bump.

Well, I'm back.

For a few reasons.

so 

Good to see you back, I've always appreciated your posts.

But its a little puzzling how some have judged this new management group so harshly so soon. The Bruce Boudreau firing furor was silly.  If he was another less personable coach, who the management group graciously gave more rope to after a resurgent end-of-season surge and subsequently had a bad preseason, no system, and a gut wrenching string of losses to start the season, I doubt there'd be much hand wringing in "stringing him along" until they were able to land the more details oriented coach that they wanted if Bruce was miserable Sutter type.  He's a wealthy happy successful ex player and coach. I didn't see him cry about it to the media. All I saw was different media seeing who could cry the loudest for for clicks.

Whining about the new management after two seasons after the worst GM in Canucks history who crippled and devalued this team through a myriad of mistakes, and then doubled down again on his way out with the OEL anchor.

It reminds me of a political party who ruins the economy, takes it into a recession, and a new party is elected on that. 

But since the markets etc take time to recover, even with good policies back in place, the ousted party whines and complains in the news media how the new government is responsible for the terrible economy.  (And depressingly, sometimes that works, and they get in and then ruin the country again, just when its finally starting to recover) 

From what I'm witnessing, JR/PA have made some mistakes, Stillman...Boeser...but they have more wins than mistakes so far. Its not going to change overnight. JB made sure of that. There's a heck of a lot to chip away at. And with no cap increases. I said at the start I'd give them 3 years before evaluating them more critically, based on the mess they had to clean up. So far they are at least a C+ maybe a B.  At the end of this coming season, I think I'll have had enough time to properly judge their plan and hows it going.

17 minutes ago, kilgore said:

The Bruce Boudreau firing furor was silly.  If he was another less personable coach,

doesn't matter to me who they fired, it is how they fired.

Others may feel differently, but to me the way he got canned reflects on management, not the guy that got sacked.

But as I said, J.R. has gone out of sight and ear shot, so things are looking and sounding better.

• Thanks 2
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

22 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Others may feel differently, but to me the way he got canned reflects on management, not the guy that got sacked.

But as I said, J.R. has gone out of sight and ear shot, so things are looking and sounding better.

I disagree about Rutherford totally.

The Bruce firing had more to do with Tocchet pressuring for more autonomy, he basically stated that in his interview with O'Brien. He felt bad for taking so long to decide. I guess this went on for a few months. Evidently he was talking with Rutherford and Allvin all summer but didn't commit. So ya, Bruce got strung along but then so were Allvin and Rutherford by Tocchet, their desired coach. Now it appears Tocchet is making all the decisions.

What sounds better? What has Allvin said? What has any of the 4 GM's said? Are you of the silence is golden group? The, if you have nothing good to say then say nothing crowd? Keep them guessing? They don't need to know! Don't say anything that way nothing can be held against you. Don't prove you are baffled and confused.

• There it is 1

6 minutes ago, ToTellTheTruth said:

The Bruce firing had more to do with Tocchet pressuring for more autonomy, he basically stated that in his interview with O'Brien. He felt bad for taking so long to decide. I guess this went on for a few months. Evidently he was talking with Rutherford and Allvin all summer but didn't commit. So ya, Bruce got strung along but then so were Allvin and Rutherford by Tocchet, their desired coach. Now it appears Tocchet is making all the decisions.

Interesting, and disturbing at the same time.

I'm a fan of people staying in their own lanes.

The individual jobs are hard enough, without trying to do someone else's gig.

It also doesn't say much if J.R and P.A. were letting a potential coach drag this out like that.

Damn, know you have me concerned all over again. :(

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Gurn said:

I just think it was a silly thing to get ones knickers in a bunch about it because there was a lot of circumstances involved.  And I could rope the whole fiasco into the general but familiar "Canucks Luck".

For one, I think because it was Aquilini's pick for coach, AND he got off to such a great start, and had his own fan theme song, it kind of hamstrung JR immediately.  His bump almost got us into the playoffs when it looked impossible, and we were one of the best teams in the latter half of the season. Take into account that Aqualini wouldn't have been keen on paying yet another ex-coach for nothing plus the fact that BB had the team firing on all cylinders at the end of the season, there were enough reasons for JR to give BB another shot. Said he would extend him even if he didn't have his option already.

But its a results based business.  It was an unmitigated disaster to start the season. And if the Canucks new management DID NOT begin to start looking for a new coach behind the scenes I'd be pssed as a fan, myself.  Enough of the "day to day" "we ran out of time" style management. 

BB was a big boy. He knew full well they must be looking based on the teams performance, and him being in his option year.  I don't get how fans think he was being bamboozled. Did he get his poor feelings hurt? Maybe, but I doubt it.

His coaching ultimately failed here and he knew it. Firing him a couple of weeks earlier wasn't going to make him feel any better IMO. He loved coaching, and I think would have coached right through the season even if he knew for a fact he wasn't coming back.  Which for the sake of the lottery, I think probably would have been the best decision.  But then again there are advantages going into next season with players knowing the coach, and his system, and what they need to work on this summer.  I just hope it was worth a primo shot at Bedard.

• Cheers 2