The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who will thrive and who won't survive under Rick?

Rate this topic

DownUndaCanuck

5 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Simple question - with a complete change in structural philosophy, who will do well and who won't under Tocchet?

I think Myers will have a resurgence of his game and become solid defensively again as will OEL. Can't really get much worse but I think there's still some peak Myers in there and Rick will unlock it (already looks like he's paired with Hughes).

I think Miller will struggle to score to be honest and drop his points a fair bit as will Horvat.

I think Petey will drop a bit of offence but not really noticeably as will Hughes, their superstar skills will pull them through.

I agree regarding Miller and Horvat. Their numbers will drop but so will their goals against.

Garland could up his stats now that he has a coach that knows how to use him.

I think Petey's offence will continue. He wasn't sacrificing much of defence to boost his scoring stats anyways. Kuzmenko will continue to perform well. 

If I have one hope, that would be for Boeser to become a better player. Maybe his scoring won't go up but I hope his battle level increases . I feel like Boeser could become a better player under Tocchet.

Hughes numbers will drop a bit I think, especially as they will likely be instructed to conservatively pick and choose when they want to rush the puck up the ice. But I think the drop off will be marginal. I think Hughes will become a better overall defenceman. He is already much better defensively in my opinion, although some posters would say he's trash based on few giveaways and turnovers that have led directly to goals against.

2 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

I wonder if Myers and OEL will thrive... because of Foote and Gonchar respectively.  From their IG story, Foote was working with the guys on their play at RD, and he's the beast of a defensive RD that we could only hope Myers becomes.  As for Gonchar, he was seen talking with Hughes so hope he helps him and OEL bring up their games as PP QB seeing how successful Sergei was in his heyday.  As for Tocchet, it's tough to say who would do well, but I think Tocchet may either be the tough love that gets Miller to become more detail oriented to get Coach off his back, or he'll be so tough on him that Miller wants out (which would be a good thing IMO).  Seeing how much he's a self-starter, I hope he's not that tough on Petey when EP's already tough on himself.  As for the other vets with good character (e.g., Schenn, Boeser, Horvat) I hope Tocchet knows when to be tough and when and how to let up, since morale in the room already can't be too high given the firing of the popular coach and the current team's standing.  Grate a hard worker down and they'll just burn out so he's gotta be conscious of that.     

Tocchet tells a story about trying to get Phil Kessel to play the right way, including going to the dirty areas n front of the net.  Kessel went to the net front and got hit by a point shot in the leg.  He came back to the bench and swore at Tocchet and said he will never do that again.  Sure me guys just don’t have it in their makeup to play like Adam Foote.  Myers and OEL are more like Kessel (although not that extreme) than Foote.  

• RoughGame 1

5 minutes ago, jyu said:

I agree regarding Miller and Horvat. Their numbers will drop but so will their goals against.

Garland could up his stats now that he has a coach that knows how to use him.

I think Petey's offence will continue. He wasn't sacrificing much of defence to boost his scoring stats anyways. Kuzmenko will continue to perform well. 

If I have one hope, that would be for Boeser to become a better player. Maybe his scoring won't go up but I hope his battle level increases . I feel like Boeser could become a better player under Tocchet.

Hughes numbers will drop a bit I think, especially as they will likely be instructed to conservatively pick and choose when they want to rush the puck up the ice. But I think the drop off will be marginal. I think Hughes will become a better overall defenceman. He is already much better defensively in my opinion, although some posters would say he's trash based on few giveaways and turnovers that have led directly to goals against.

You are 100% correct except about Hughes.  Hughes already thinks defensively first.  He’s been stuck with very poor (try hard though) partners since Tanev left.  IMHAO Hughes will be asked to play more offensively, especially to come up into the play on the rush.  

Edited by Alflives
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Ironically, losing out would be the best possible thing they could do. 

Yeah but knowing these dipsh!!ts, they’ll end up going on a 15 game winning streak only to miss the playoffs by 2 points and end up picking 10th OA because of it

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, King Heffy said:

I don't like convicted felons with mob ties. Sorry if you think this piece of $#!+ deserves to be treated with respect.  

again, he is not a convicted felon. This crime basically equates to something like tax evasion. Have you ever played a game of poker or made a bet between friends involving money? doesn't matter if its 1$ or a million both are the exact same idea, but once more money gets involved its suddenly illegal.

Just now, Bad_BOI_pete said:

again, he is not a convicted felon. This crime basically equates to something like tax evasion. Have you ever played a game of poker or made a bet between friends involving money? doesn't matter if its 1$ or a million both are the exact same idea, but once more money gets involved its suddenly illegal.

I didn't invite the mob to help launder the money.

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Partially. The main thing is he isn’t a good defensive player(and has never been really) and a lot of his turnovers are more a result of poor decision making than fatigue. 

Mainly I think Tocchet will shelter Miller away from defensive responsibilities and strictly utilize him offensively. 

His backchecking and his turnovers are two separate problems.  

He needs shorter shifts and to not try to be too fancy. If he puts that first then the offense without losses will be more important overall for the the team 

I don’t think it’s a question of who won’t survive,   It’s who dosent have the ability to engage emotionally, physically, and skillfully on this club..

Tocchet will let them run,  but pay attention to not wearing them out,.    I think we see a closer F1 F2 forecheck….  and line changes exiting hot around the 1 minute mark ..

I think the big D change we’ll probably see is a more step up engagement,  close gap ,  and shut down asap .

Foote and Gonchar may be perhaps bring the biggest impact to this team.

Bo needs to engage more physically, but given his situation ,.   It’s all hindsight now.

Boeser,.   Like what @Alflives said ,  is overweight and / or skates like it.

was interesting to see Foote and Gonchar having a meeting on ice with the D men.. 

just got the feeling they said we’re going to try to turn your thoughts to be a Defence that commits Offences.

Im over the change….  But so disappointed in Rutherford ( not Aqua) ..  but Rutherford shooting his egotistical mouth off since he’s been here,     THAT. is what has undermined this team and Coaching staff,. he kept the Coach on eggshells from the time he arrived.

a real piece … 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I don’t think it’s a question of who won’t survive,   It’s who dosent have the ability to engage emotionally, physically, and skillfully on this club..

Tocchet will let them run,  but pay attention to not wearing them out,.    I think we see a closer F1 F2 forecheck….  and line changes exiting hot around the 1 minute mark ..

I think the big D change we’ll probably see is a more step up engagement,  close gap ,  and shut down asap .

Foote and Gonchar may be perhaps bring the biggest impact to this team.

Bo needs to engage more physically, but given his situation ,.   It’s all hindsight now.

Boeser,.   Like what @Alflives said ,  is overweight and / or skates like it.

was interesting to see Foote and Gonchar having a meeting on ice with the D men.. 

just got the feeling they said we’re going to try to turn your thoughts to be a Defence that commits Offences.

Im over the change….  But so disappointed in Rutherford ( not Aqua) ..  but Rutherford shooting his egotistical mouth off since he’s been here,     THAT. is what has undermined this team and Coaching staff,. he kept the Coach on eggshells from the time he arrived.

a real piece … 

To add to this….  I think Kuzmenko’s talent has not reached his ceiling ..  I think this change will bring out the best in him, and being fast and more selfish is part of that process.

must say Gonchar here to support the russian contingent is long , as in 88 long,   Over due .