The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Miller to Florida

Fair deal, just strikes me as a long shot that management would give up on their guy

Based on Millers comments, I suspect they attribute the country club atmosphere to guys being quiet & passive. They want more Miller-types that are loud and energetic

Bunch of bottom-6 guys gonna get swapped out for loudmouths too i imagine

Florida doesn't have the cap space to do a one for one deal.  Also, they probably prefer to let Reinhart walk as a UFA in 2 years so they can use that cap space to fill other holes.  They don't seem to be a contender anymore and flipping Reinhart for Miller won't move the needle for them.  

If they aren't a playoff team next year I could also see then trading Reinhart at the deadline for picks/prospects.  They could even buy out Bob...

27 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Fair deal, just strikes me as a long shot that management would give up on their guy

Based on Millers comments, I suspect they attribute the country club atmosphere to guys being quiet & passive. They want more Miller-types that are loud and energetic

Perhaps, but it's a proposal nonetheless. 

Wasn't it Allvin who said it wasn't going to be a quick fix? Personality or not, if they don't see us being competitively in a significant manner sooner than later and I'd argue the remainder of Miller's prime would be wasted here and that 8M in cap space could be better allocated. It's also a landing spot I could see Miller being agreeable too which is important when considering a Miller trade regardless of whether his NMC is active or not.

If it's personality they want there are other ways to approaching that. You can have guys who bring that stuff who don't carry an 8M cap hit. Wanting a bit more piss and vinegar, if that's what they really want, doesn't necessarily mean it has to be provided by JT Miller. 

9 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Florida doesn't have the cap space to do a one for one deal.  Also, they probably prefer to let Reinhart walk as a UFA in 2 years so they can use that cap space to fill other holes.  They don't seem to be a contender anymore and flipping Reinhart for Miller won't move the needle for them.  

If they aren't a playoff team next year I could also see then trading Reinhart at the deadline for picks/prospects.  They could even buy out Bob...

Hence my point about them retaining, or our retaining. It's only a matter of time before we ship out cap, let's be real. There's a good chance we could accommodate Florida capwise over the remainder of the season going forward. 

And maybe, but if they want to compete, which I think they do, there is upside to having someone who's cost controlled with a history of point per game or better production. Regardless of where they're at they want to compete going forward and Miller would likely look good playing with someone like Barkov or Tkachuk. 

They very well could simply move Reinhart for stuff themselves, but hey, this is a proposals section and I've proposed what I view as a legitimate hockey trade that could work for both sides. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1

Reinhart is the type of player we could use. A skilled passer. This is most evident on the power play where the puck has to go through Miller. Somehow 650 was praising Millers passing the other day. Hes average at best the way Brock and Bo are average. We have a lot of shooters but not many good passers. Petey and Quinn being the exceptions.

Forgot about Kuz. Above average

Edited by AV's Coin

4 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

Loud and energetic guys who don't let their play do the talking don't deserve that vocal role.  JT needs to go if he's all lip service about still being a leader but doesn't show it on the ice on a more regular basis that he'll try harder. 

PS the OP's trade would be great IMO.

Just now, Phil_314 said:

Loud and energetic guys who don't let their play do the talking don't deserve that vocal role.  JT needs to go if he's all lip service about still being a leader but doesn't show it on the ice on a more regular basis that he'll try harder. 

I dont disagree with Coconuts trade. Dont think ive ever disagreed with coconuts on literally anything. We even use the same shampoo (Old Spice Eriksson)

JT isnt a lazy player. Hes usually ferocious on the forecheck. I agree with tocchets assessment that part of the problem is playing him 21-22 minutes a night. Give him 17.5-18 minutes and a max shift length of like 50 seconds, and I bet he'll be one of the best backcheckers on the team. 1.5 minute long shifts is unsustainable. Look at what limiting shift lengths did for Winnipeg, completely changed their dynamic. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

I dont disagree with Coconuts trade. Dont think ive ever disagreed with coconuts on literally anything. We even use the same shampoo (Old Spice Eriksson)

JT isnt a lazy player. Hes usually ferocious on the forecheck. I agree with tocchets assessment that part of the problem is playing him 21-22 minutes a night. Give him 17.5-18 minutes and a max shift length of like 50 seconds, and I bet he'll be one of the best backcheckers on the team. 1.5 minute long shifts is unsustainable. Look at what limiting shift lengths did for Winnipeg, completely changed their dynamic. 

LOL you and Coconuts are the bromance of CDC, confirmed.

If that's all that it takes to fix Miller (less is more apparently when it comes to ice time), we should fix his usage then.  Hopefully that leads to a better defender in Miller starting next season (should stealth tank for Bedard).

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

He is pretty lazy on the back check especially on his turnovers because he has to put on a show about how upset he is that he caused another breakaway. 

Just now, DrJockitch said:

He is pretty lazy on the back check especially on his turnovers because he has to put on a show about how upset he is that he caused another breakaway. 

Lets see - if the nonsense continues with reduced ice time and shortened shifts, ill jump on board

Looking at Florida's cap situation, the hell are they gonna do with Bobrovsky? Lol. Or do they plan on running nearly 15mil in goalie cap for 3 seasons? Is Bob's contract buyout friendly? They are just barely getting out from under the Yandle buyout. It drops from 5.2mil to 1.2 mil next year. So that's good at least. I dunno if they want to take on 8mil in Miller money. Given they are still under the boot of other contracts and buyouts.

They don't have the cap space, they have their goalie's extension kicking in next year, not much cap off the books in the off-season and will have to re-sign some D-men. Don't see it happening.

For interest sake, who does a captain swap. Bo for Ekblad? I'd jump at it. Who's more important to a team - obviously a top all-around RD, but he's having a pretty bad year and Bo is having a pretty great year.

Maybe we add, give them Schenn or Bear as well?

Would be a real block-bluster but would fix both teams needs. 

9 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

They don't have the cap space, they have their goalie's extension kicking in next year, not much cap off the books in the off-season and will have to re-sign some D-men. Don't see it happening.

For interest sake, who does a captain swap. Bo for Ekblad? I'd jump at it. Who's more important to a team - obviously a top all-around RD, but he's having a pretty bad year and Bo is having a pretty great year.

Hughes Ekblad? Yes please

18 hours ago, AV's Coin said:

Reinhart is the type of player we could use. A skilled passer. This is most evident on the power play where the puck has to go through Miller. Somehow 650 was praising Millers passing the other day. Hes average at best the way Brock and Bo are average. We have a lot of shooters but not many good passers. Petey and Quinn being the exceptions.

Forgot about Kuz. Above average

He's certainly got skill, no doubt about it. And if he didn't fit he's on a short term deal, gives us options.

18 hours ago, jyu said:

Florida has made some bad decisions as of late. I hope they make another one by trading Reinhart for Miller.

Here's hoping!

17 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

That would be a massive overreaction by Florida to pull the trigger on a trade like that.  Would they really take on that massive contract just to plug in the hole at 2C?   They must have better options than us.

Maybe, maybe not? They rented Giroux last season, they make a ballsy trade for Tkachuk, they gave Bobrovsky his massive deal. They're not afraid to make bold moves. 

They're a team built to compete now, Miller really isn't all that more expensive than Reinhart. And he's locked in. They could have options elsewhere though, absolutely. 

14 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

We'll see what happens with Miller, I'm of the belief that he largely is what he is as a player at this point. 

13 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Looking at Florida's cap situation, the hell are they gonna do with Bobrovsky? Lol. Or do they plan on running nearly 15mil in goalie cap for 3 seasons? Is Bob's contract buyout friendly? They are just barely getting out from under the Yandle buyout. It drops from 5.2mil to 1.2 mil next year. So that's good at least. I dunno if they want to take on 8mil in Miller money. Given they are still under the boot of other contracts and buyouts.

It's not super friendly, no. But it's a better option than paying to dump him imo given how many picks Florida has moved out. At the very least a buyout would likely give them space to bring in a backup and perhaps some cap cushion. 

I think a buyout is inevitable, it's just a matter of when and what the numbers look like imo.

10 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

They could work it actually, I was discussing this will mll. Things might be a bit tight this season and next but with cap projected to jump quite a bit in the coming seasons I don't think it has to be a long-term headache. 

Hornqvist's 5.3M will be off the books, Yandle's buyout cap hit will drop by roughly 4M, Darling's 1.1M buyout will be off the books. Duclair could be moved. 

Knight's raise eats up some of that but not all. Marc Staal could be replaced by another player, they could either retain or replace Gudas's 2.5M. Cap should also go up a bit and then it's supposed to jump quite significantly. 

Florida may be able to address their D to a degree even with Miller coming in, it'd probably take them more than one offseason to really overhaul it anyway. 

I don't think Bo gets you Ekblad, tougher season or not. Particularly signed for two more seasons at 7.5M per. Ekblad also has a full NMC, why would he leave a team that was a juggernaut as recently as last season to come here?

Edited by Coconuts

On 1/23/2023 at 6:22 PM, Coconuts said:

Looks like Florida could be out a 2C for a while, they're a team that absolutely does not want to bottom out given Montreal owns their 1st. They also went in and grabbed Tkachuk in the offseason, this is a team that wants to demonstrate that it can be competitive.

Florida hasn't adjusted to their new coach the way they'd have probably liked but they're still in it, and will likely continue to try and jockey for the playoffs going forward. Enter JT Miller.

I'd argue that Miller isn't a center so much as a winger who can take draws, he could moonlight as a center for the Panthers though. I also see Florida being a team he'd probably be okay with going to, it's not as if he hasn't played in that state before and the future is pretty uncertain in these parts nowadays. He'd actually make more money playing for Florida too. 

How would it work? Well, something like this.. roughly. 

To Florida 

JT Miller

To Vancouver

Sam Reinhart 

Reinhart is from Vancouver, he's producing this season but is absolutely a winger. He's got one season remaining on his deal after this one so you can either try to extend him, trade him, or allow him to walk. There's a possibility to garner assets by acquiring him, or cap flex. 

He comes in at 6.5M, so really.. Florida would only be adding 1.5M to their cap going forward by bringing in Miller. And I could see them being a team that doesn't care about his term so much if they think they can go deep on the regular going forward. They're built more to be a team that competes in the playoffs sooner than later, that ain't us. They're a season removed from being a bit of a juggernaut, I could see Miller having interest. 

Florida might have to retain cap on Reinhart's contract for the remainder of the season to make it work but it's doable. We could potentially even retain cap on Miller's deal for the remainder of the season and garner perhaps another asset if a Miller trade is preceded by what seems like an inevitable Horvat trade. 

I don't see us being a team that's a playoff regular for a while, management has a lot of work to do still new shiny coaching staff or not. It's not going to be a quick process imo. Freeing ourselves of 7x8M would be a boon going forward, could be best for both parties as we all know Miller wants to win. 

The deal itself might need some tinkering but I think there could be something there. 

I really wanted Sammy but I wanted him to flank Horvat thought they’d play great together.

if you could swing this trade resign Horvat I’d be over the moooooon.

but I think Sam is a better C than Miller a better age and on a better contract even.

So I don’t think they’d do this trade straight up maybe if we sweetened it with something reasonable they would though.

Florida seems like a better market for Miller to be in too less pressure / noise.

Sam also plays great everytime he’s in our building would love to add him.