The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Horvat to VGK as a rental

Let’s say we don’t find a partner that can extend him. Would this value make sense for a rental?

To VGK:

Horvat, 50% retained

To VAN:

Brett Howden

Kaedan Korczak

2023 1st

2024 2nd

Howden for checking line C

Korczak as Hughes’ partner

edit: just realized Korczak played on the Rockets while Foote was head coach for Kelowna

Edited by Kenny Powers

Vegas is an odd team in that they haven't been shy about swinging for the fences by making big moves, particularly out the gate as an expansion team. But at the same time they're a team that's given up an awful lot in the way of assets over the last few seasons. 

For a rental that's not bad though, but I can't help but wonder if Vegas might finally be a bit gun shy about moving out assets. Their prospect pool isn't ranked very highly from what I've seen and they're going to have problems down the road unless they start working to address that. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

We can get more for him as a non rental. Finding a trading partner won't be an issue, it's just a matter of finding the best overall deal.

My guess as well is, Vegas has not really been interested in rentals, they have wanted guys that they can resign to longer deals.

20 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

Let’s say we don’t find a partner that can extend him. Would this value make sense for a rental?

To VGK:

Horvat, 50% retained

To VAN:

Brett Howden

Kaedan Korczak

2023 1st

2024 2nd

Howden for checking line C

Korczak as Hughes’ partner

edit: just realized Korczak played on the Rockets while Foote was head coach for Kelowna

Is howden even an upgrade on studnika? Joshua? 

i know footes time in Kelowna was reported to not go well but i like Korczak 

5 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Is howden even an upgrade on studnika? Joshua? 

i know footes time in Kelowna was reported to not go well but i like Korczak 

I haven’t seen Howden play, but scouting report reads as a checking line C, and his draft pedigree / salary would suggest he’s ahead of those two. He’s my ‘trying to be realistic / serviceable nhl player’ in this trade.

19 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

We can get more for him as a non rental. Finding a trading partner won't be an issue, it's just a matter of finding the best overall deal.

My guess as well is, Vegas has not really been interested in rentals, they have wanted guys that they can resign to longer deals.

So you’re confident we’ll trade him with an extension? That’s obviously preferable - was curious about his rental

value as a (hopefully) worst case scenario 

1 hour ago, Kenny Powers said:

I haven’t seen Howden play, but scouting report reads as a checking line C, and his draft pedigree / salary would suggest he’s ahead of those two. He’s my ‘trying to be realistic / serviceable nhl player’ in this trade.

I want a blue chip or a grade a young player coming back minimum for Horvat 

I’d be sad with that trade return tbh

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

I want a blue chip or a grade a young player coming back minimum for Horvat 

I’d be sad with that trade return tbh

Same here. Just curious on what a fair rental price might be.  I’m thinking he’ll get extended, unless a contender offers a silly price to rent him

2 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

So you’re confident we’ll trade him with an extension? That’s obviously preferable - was curious about his rental

value as a (hopefully) worst case scenario 

My personal opinion is, teams in this league don't currently have the ability to outbid teams who would be interested in resigning him. I could be wrong, but I think this will be a hockey trade where we get 3 solid pieces back. I'm still not 100% that we trade him, I think that part of what they are doing right now, is using the possibility of trade as a negotiating chip with Horvat. I don't think he really wants to leave, but they want him to provide a better discount to stay.

My personal opinion is, we will wind up signing him to 8 years, 8.5 million. My personal opinion is, he's more valuable and a more rounded player than Miller, even if Miller was playing at the level he was last year.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

Same here. Just curious on what a fair rental price might be.  I’m thinking he’ll get extended, unless a contender offers a silly price to rent him

Its a lot of elephant to chew on.

Stressing me out

• Haha 2
  • elephant 1

49 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Its a lot of elephant to chew on.

Stressing me out

I’m excited for him to be traded.

Ready to sell high for once, and avoid being cornered into a retirement contract. Ready to have a playmaking 2C, a proper checking 3C, and a new Captain.

I like Bo, but he’s not worth what his agent’s asking. Let someone else pay for his career year, while giving us young players to rebuild around Petey and Hughes.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

34 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Ready to sell high for once, and avoid being cornered into a retirement contract. Ready to have a playmaking 2C, a proper checking 3C, and a new Captain.

I like Bo, but he’s not worth what his agent’s asking. Let someone else pay for his career year, while giving us young players to rebuild around Petey and Hughes.

I’m excited nervous though.

it’s such a franchise defining type of trade.

hope they really do a great trade. 

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

I’m not liking the chances our owner will allow a Bo trade.