The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who would replace Tyler Myers if he is traded/bought out?

Rate this topic

Hectic

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

His contract is also buyout proof, even more than OEL's. His cap hit next year would be $5,333,334, once you add in a replacement player at even minimum $750k, you're looking at a net loss of a minimum of $83k of cap.

Seriously how does anyone think that 1- it's a good idea, or that 2- any management would be dense enough to do it?

not to mention it's going to cost to replace the mins he pays.  So you have to pay the caphit on the buyout, plus pay to replace him.  Just hang onto him until the 2024 deadline and actually get something for him.

As I said with OEL, if this staff can get a decent defensive structure implemented, the dcorp will look a lot better, Myers included.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

Just now, stawns said:

not to mention it's going to cost to replace the mins he pays.  So you have to pay the caphit on the buyout, plus pay to replace him.  Just hang onto him until the 2024 deadline and actually get something for him.

As I said with OEL, if this staff can get a decent defensive structure implemented, the dcorp will look a lot better, Myers included.

I'm fine if they can manage to move him this summer after his bonus is paid as well. Even if we retain $1-2m and clear $4-5m. That cap and roster space could open up opportunity that won't be available without it that like counter anything you gain by waiting until the TDL. 

• There it is 1

Just now, aGENT said:

I'm fine if they can manage to move him this summer after his bonus is paid as well. Even if we retain $1-2m and clear $4-5m. That cap and roster space could open up opportunity that won't be available without it that like counter anything you gain by waiting until the TDL. 

if they get a return for him, sure.  But not if they have to add a sweetener to do it.......I'd rather just keep him until the tdl

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

if they get a return for him, sure.  But not if they have to add a sweetener to do it.......I'd rather just keep him until the tdl

No, no sweetener. Myers at $4-5m cap and only $666k-$833k of actual salary, has trade value. Even if his trade value might be higher at the TDL...if we can leverage that cap space in to this summer's "Marino" or a 3C etc for cheap, it's worth losing that extra trade value IMO.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Buying out Myers would be incredibly dumb. Saves no money. Either by trade from Bo, Kuz, maybe even with a pick thrown in to get a top player or just a bargain player for the short term until something becomes available.

Edited by Gawdzukes

3 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Buying out Myers would be incredibly dumb. Saves no money. Either by trade from Bo, Kuz, maybe even with a pick thrown in to get a top player or just a bargain player for the short term until something becomes available.

Saves negative money actually :lol:

Like I posted earlier, even with a league min contract replacing him, we actually lose a minimum of $83k in cap by buying him out. It only gets worse the more expensive his replacement is. We'd be better off waiving him. Or retaining $1-2m, or just riding it out until the TDL, or literally ANYTHING else :lol:

It's mind boggling that people are still posting this as a "reasonable" proposed plan.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hectic said:

Personally I feel an OEL buyout would make more sense - easier to find LHD than RHD. And maybe next year Rathbone can stick with the team and Dermott moves up to the 2nd pairing. 

An OEL trade with 50% retention is much better, maybe get something back, opens up a little over 3 mil in space and only lasts until 2027 whereas a buy out lingers until 2031 and takes up a retention spot and cap space 2 years with more than a 4 mil cap hit.

Myers is not easily replaced and is valued across the league. His major problem ahs been there is no chemistry developed or after three coaches, system to play. Systems are not learned over night, they take time and are repetitive. 4 years here and 3 different coaches and systems with every defenceman to ever suit up for the team and that is a lot, play left side, play right side, play PK, do the defensive work in the dzone of two players when Hughes is on the ice.

The money is a Benning issue not a player issue. There was almost no negotiations at all so it was a huge offer but then that was Benning's apparent MO, sign whatever the agent pushed across the table, I sometimes wondered if he could read.

There is no player in the system available to replace being right handed, big and nasty with good leadership in the room.

Edited by ToTellTheTruth

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Saves negative money actually :lol:

Like I posted earlier, even with a league min contract replacing him, we actually lose a minimum of $83k in cap by buying him out. It only gets worse the more expensive his replacement is. We'd be better off waiving him. Or retaining $1-2m, or just riding it out until the TDL, or literally ANYTHING else :lol:

It's mind boggling that people are still posting this as a "reasonable" proposed plan.

Haha, yeah I'm just blown away when I read this stuff ... and I've seen it quite a bit actually. Like when you're making a statement why would you make it if you have no clue what you're saying? :frantic: ::D Like don't people google it to see how much they save?

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, ToTellTheTruth said:

An OEL trade with 50% retention is much better, maybe get something back, opens up a little over 3 mil in space and only lasts until 2027 whereas a buy out lingers until 2031 and takes up a retention spot and cap space 2 years with more than a 4 mil cap hit.

Myers is not easily replaced and is valued across the league. His major problem ahs been there is no chemistry developed or after three coaches, system to play. Systems are not learned over night, they take time and are repetitive. 4 years here and 3 different coaches and systems with every defenceman to ever suit up for the team and that is a lot, play left side, play right side, play PK, do the defensive work in the dzone of two players when Hughes is on the ice.

The money is a Benning issue not a player issue. There was almost no negotiations at all so it was a huge offer but then that was Benning's apparent MO, sign whatever the agent pushed across the table, I sometimes wondered if he could read.

There is no player in the system available to replace being right handed, big and nasty with good leadership in the room.

Buying out oel is just as stupid and should be a fireable offense.  

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

How about we let Adam Foote work with him first to work on his defensive play and balance before panicking and thinking buyout?  If Foote does a good job by next year and he's back to his defensive D-man form, he could even get flipped for a half-decent pick next TDL as a pending UFA.  Absolutely not to buyouts or trading him early if it costs a pick, and no to moving OEL (the buyout will be priceyyyyyy, as will the sweetener for moving him).

As of next TDL, presuming the rumor Schenn likes it here is true and he re-signs, we'll just have to roll with Schenn - Bear - Burroughs and see what's available between Erik Johnson, Scott Mayfield and if we could bring in any of Murphy/ McNabb from Chicago when Kane gets moved and Chicago sells off.  Until then, go out, touch some grass and watch this tire fire flounder (or maybe succeed??).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

How about we let Adam Foote work with him first to work on his defensive play and balance before panicking and thinking buyout?  If Foote does a good job by next year and he's back to his defensive D-man form, he could even get flipped for a half-decent pick next TDL as a pending UFA.  Absolutely not to buyouts or trading him early if it costs a pick, and no to moving OEL (the buyout will be priceyyyyyy, as will the sweetener for moving him).

As of next TDL, presuming the rumor Schenn likes it here is true and he re-signs, we'll just have to roll with Schenn - Bear - Burroughs and see what's available between Erik Johnson, Scott Mayfield and if we could bring in any of Murphy/ McNabb from Chicago when Kane gets moved and Chicago sells off.  Until then, go out, touch some grass and watch this tire fire flounder (or maybe succeed??).

Myers will be a hot commodity after July 1 on. The only thing Myers needs is time, a system that isn't changing every year, a coach that isn't changing every year, a partner that isn't changing every other game and playing on a team not having a losing culture. At 32 I doubt here is much any coach hasn't taught him.

Many teams will trade for OEL at 3.2 mil a year, now that Tocchet is here I am sure the NMC will no longer be an issue. Canucks could do that trade now and gain 3.2 mil in cap space today. OEL playing in the wrong role is part of the changes in role, systems, type of ice time PP, PK which he wasn't really playing to much of in Arizona. The retention cost is not an issue with this management, they said that already because the cap going up will absorb an 8 million dollar cap hit in 5/6/7 years so 3.2 mil for 4 years in a heart beat.

If Bear, Burroughs are still mainstays then there hasn't been enough improvement in depth, they should be 5/6 guys if that

Edited by ToTellTheTruth

It's clear that we're not going to be able to keep all our higher end players. I feel (and have for 2-3 years) that if we ship out a big piece, the main piece coming back MUST be the proper kind of RD this team has been lacking for several years. Especially this season, where I feel that if our team was in sync that we would have plenty of scoring, so that only exasperates the need on D specifically. 

Frankly, while I think we can largely all agree that Myers isn't worth his contract, he's shown periods of time where he was at least a GOOD defenseman - albeit overpaid. But this season, he's been very questionable. His playmaking is slow and telegraphed. He really doesn't hit like someone his size should. He seems to have lost almost all offensive ability other than pounding the pucks in (close) to the net, and it looks almost as if his size is growing to be a detriment to his ability to harness and move the puck. As a result, he is forced to make a play quicker than he can handle - and therefore more poor lackluster plays than usual. 

Really, I feel the only thing we would miss is his size but if we managed to retain Schenn or get someone back who can pick up the slack, there really isn't a ton of other elements we cannot find elsewhere. (And much cheaper) Perhaps a guy who can put up more than 1 goal a season wouldn't hurt either.

Tyler Myers has all the physical attributes to be a great d man but he can't think fast enough.

Lock him in a room with a high end tetris game and don't let him out until he beats the highest level.

Otherwise I've had this feeling for a while we may be able to convert him to the wing.  Serious. 

On 1/25/2023 at 3:45 PM, stawns said:

Last night the puck came off the boards to a kraken player near the center of the ice. That player was covered by TM s d partner. But he went chasing after him leaving the kraken winger wide open on his side . He got about half way there then turned back to cover his man. 

That sort of stuff makes no sense.

His reaction time is so slow!!!!

Not sure any system can correct that. 

Lately when he screws up his facial expression doesn't even look upset.  I think  Tyler has gotten used to himself. Maybe he could benefit from a Chris Tanev type partner. 

Edited by erkayloomeh
  • Upvote 1

Between now and the end of the year I wouldn't mind seeing some of the Abby d getting a chance even if they don't feel they are ready.  The Chicago game would have been a good opportunity to give a couple of those guys 8 minutes or so. 

We've got Columbus coming up.  

??